Marathon Weekend 2018

Hi all.

Any advice for a non runner? I’m not really sure what to except crowd and transportation wise. Anything special we should be aware of?

This will be our first time to visit during a marathon. I had no idea it was even going on until after I booked the trip. We get in late Saturday night, so our first day isn’t until Sunday. We’ve got a lunch booked at the Contemporary. Then plan to head over to MK.

Good luck to you all. We’ll be cheering everyone on.
Thanks.

Sunday morning transportation may be a challenge, depending on where you are staying and what park you head to. If you don't plan to mobilize til your lunch, then you will largely be okay, although runners will continue to be racing then (but in the WWoS, DHS, Epcot area mostly).

Temps are definitely trending down at the moment. Both Weather.com and Accu have things in the low 40s Thursday to Saturday morning and upper 40s on Sunday. I think a lot depends on how strong this cold front ends up being and when it gets down into Florida.

In honor of all who are braving the elements, keep your eye on the prize!

It's been in the single digits here in Ohio with some fairly strong wind. The combination has revealed some interesting and new bodily reactions and sensations. Must remember: Joy in the journey!

Last edited:
Hi all.

Any advice for a non runner? I’m not really sure what to except crowd and transportation wise. Anything special we should be aware of?

This will be our first time to visit during a marathon. I had no idea it was even going on until after I booked the trip. We get in late Saturday night, so our first day isn’t until Sunday. We’ve got a lunch booked at the Contemporary. Then plan to head over to MK.

Good luck to you all. We’ll be cheering everyone on.
Thanks.

We arrived last year on Sunday and stayed a week.

Marathon day, Sunday, we made the mistake of arriving at the Beach Club around noon and walking to Epcot. Big Mistake as that's right when the marathon was in it's final couple hours and the park was overcrowded and the marathon route blocked traffic. Major delays. Avoid Epcot at all costs if you're not there for a runner!!

As for the rest of the week... We found the parks traffic and lines to be just fine. We've been in the summer twice and at Halloween last year. Comparatively, the week after the marathon seemed rather mild-medium as far as lines and people and congestion go. All the favorite rides will still have very long lines, fast passes will be in short supply, and dining reservations hard to get at popular places, but no more not overly crowded with runners.

Seriously, I leave tomorrow and I really have no idea what to pack anymore. I don't have room in my suitcase for all these different weather scenarios! All I do know is that it will be warmer in Florida than it is at home, and for that I am thankful.
I keep adding throw away clothes in my suitcase. I was thinking I would only need a few items but if I throw them away during the 5k or the HM, I won't have anything left for the full :worried:

I keep adding throw away clothes in my suitcase. I was thinking I would only need a few items but if I throw them away during the 5k or the HM, I won't have anything left for the full :worried:

I went to Savers yesterday to buy throwaway sweats for Marathon Weekend. Between the four of us running the half and me running the full, it's five sets of sweats, which takes up more space than I thought. We're going to need a bigger boat.

I think you won't need them for the full. I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night, but the trend looks like the cold front coming across the south will roll into Florida mid-week. The lows will be around 40-45 through Sat and then things begin warming up again.

Go to dollar tree, buy a shower curtain and cut it like a ghosts costume. Should be enough to keep the wind off of you for the start of the full.
Outdoor garbage bags work too,the big black ones. Not one size fits all, but should fit most folks (you can try it at home first). I pack some in my suitcase each year and then usually forget to bring them to race morning. But they work to cut the wind.

I just bought my 10 year old daughter some cold weather running clothes for the 5k. I'll be doing the savers/goodwill thing for other throwaway clothes and I'll be bringing both cold weather and warm weather gear.

I think you won't need them for the full. I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night, but the trend looks like the cold front coming across the south will roll into Florida mid-week. The lows will be around 40-45 through Sat and then things begin warming up again.
I hope so! At least it will be warmer than here. We are at -4F, feels like -18F today.

Outdoor garbage bags work too,the big black ones. Not one size fits all, but should fit most folks (you can try it at home first). I pack some in my suitcase each year and then usually forget to bring them to race morning. But they work to cut the wind.

I actually ran all the way to MK in mine last year during the marathon! And I hated giving it up then! We have giant clear ones here at work so I may have swiped a few again this year... :rolleyes1

Add me to the list of people having running nightmares. I was running the half but there was no one around me and the route wasn’t marked. Plus there was another race going on at the same time and I went the wrong way in Magic Kingdom. In addition, my GPS and timer weren’t working so I didn’t know how far I’d run or how long it took. :eek:

I’m sure Disney will be more organized than my dreams. Well, on second thought...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter