Marathon Weekend 2018

After the full we have an ADR at O'hana for dinner at 5:50. I keep checking to see if there are any new openings so we can eat a little later to give us a bit more time in DHS, which is our planned park that day. So far no luck but I will keep trying, otherwise we stick with the current time and my family will not be forgiving of me moving less than fast post marathon - ouch!

As far as all the temps. I am a Michigander and last night I ran in 10 degree(ish) weather with lots of snow - boo to people not shoveling their driveways and sidewalks! So the idea of running in 40ish weather next week sounds great. I know that while in the corrals, and before, I will be cold but once we are running that type of temp sounds wonderful to me. I can work with that temp by bringing toss-able clothes or a mylar blanket for pre-race. But when it is hot (and humid) then for me there is no escape. I think it was two years ago when we had a really warm and humid marathon; I suffered!

Ugh! DD28 just called me and she is on her way to Urgent Care as her chest hurts and it hurts when she breathes! She has had a cold for a while. Hopefully it has not turned into pneumonia. :( She is crying and so worried about Dopey. I'm hoping she just pulled a muscle in her chest or something minor!

Okay, Disney Brain Trust, here's the deal. I mentioned a few posts ago that my mom (and our child care) got in a car accident on Christmas Eve. Most importantly, she's doing okay, but still has pain issues. She's seeing her doctor today, and is still planning on coming with us next week.

BUT... just in case she can't make it, I contacted Kids Nite Out, and they're (not surprisingly) already filled up for next week. We're on the wait list, but it doesn't look good. Does anyone know of any other in-room sitters for WDW? We're desperately trying to make back-up plans for our back-up plans, just in case Mom can't make it.

Only slightly freaking out,
Doug

Ugh! DD28 just called me and she is on her way to Urgent Care as her chest hurts and it hurts when she breathes! She has had a cold for a while. Hopefully it has not turned into pneumonia. :( She is crying and so worried about Dopey. I'm hoping she just pulled a muscle in her chest or something minor!
Oh no! Hope she'll be ok. Keep us posted.

Wishing the best for her! Take it easy for a few days, being so stressed will make it even worse. Keep us updated!

As a PT myself, that just made me cringe lol. There is 0 legitimate research showing the effectiveness of ultrasound. Passive modalities like those you mentioned are actually being phased out of most DPT programs due to the lack of effectiveness they produce. More manual therapy or active treatment will produce better results, also able to be provided by a PT. If your PT is doing ultrasound/TENS/e-stim, especially all in one visit, I would run... far haha.

@disneygirlsng, since you are a PT, am curious about your stance on dry needling? It seems to be all the rage and yes my PT does that including exercises, stretching and alignment corrections.

Has anyone had any success with a stretch/massage before or after races? I have been feeling a bit tight recently so I was considering going to Massage Envy to get a stretch next week. I have heard that people can sometimes be sore though afterwards so I don't want to make it worse.

I hope that she is ok. The timing is horrible! Hopefully a few days rest will make the difference!

Our arrival time will be entirely dependent on when we can corral our kids ( :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc) and rouse my poor mom (who was just in a car accident on Christmas Eve :crutches:) and get over there.

We are going to be at SSR -- does anyone know if the Minnie Vans are now running from there? And, if we are able to use a Minnie Van (or Lyft or Uber), will they take us all the way to Pioneer Hall, or will we be dropped off at the entrance of Fort Wilderness and forced to take another bus?
The Minnie Vans will take you all the way to Pioneer Hall....what time is your ADR?

Last edited:

I hope it's nothing serious. I will say I just had this last week. Started on a Saturday with a heavy feeling in my chest, then turned into uncontrollable coughing where I knew I needed to cough stuff up, but it wouldn't come. I'm still dealing with a cough sometimes when running and it's been almost 2 weeks now. Last week I only managed 14 miles all week. This week has been better and I'm mostly back on track.

My DH has the same deep cough about a month ago. I think it might be a virus that is going around. (At least, for us, I hope so too for your daughter).

I hope she is ok.

I hope it's nothing serious. I will say I just had this last week. Started on a Saturday with a heavy feeling in my chest, then turned into uncontrollable coughing where I knew I needed to cough stuff up, but it wouldn't come. I'm still dealing with a cough sometimes when running and it's been almost 2 weeks now. Last week I only managed 14 miles all week. This week has been better and I'm mostly back on track.

My DH has the same deep cough about a month ago. I think it might be a virus that is going around. (At least, for us, I hope so too for your daughter).

Influenza has hit hard across the country. So bad in fact that I will be turning my phone off when we leave tuesday night for disney so I don't get paged to work all week.

I am so grateful I have family driving down.. They are going to go shopping at goodwill / thrift stores for throw away clothing for me! 5k and 10k I'll keep my sweats I'm bringing on, but 1/2 and full want throw away.. And now I dont have to stuff that extra stuff in my luggage!!!

Influenza has hit hard across the country. So bad in fact that I will be turning my phone off when we leave tuesday night for disney so I don't get paged to work all week.
A few people I know had the stomach flu over Christmas. I am not going near them until after the race lol. I bought a big bottle of hand sanitizer and am drinking Emergen-C every day for the next week. Even though I got the flu shot, I can't take any chances haha.

Question re the expo: Since this is the first year I'm doing Dopey and have to pick up my bib on Wednesday, I'm worried about the lines. With the expo being open until 8PM on Wednesday, are the lines expected to be shorter if I go later in the day, perhaps around 5 or 6? I've gotten so spoiled just running Goofy before, and breezing in on Friday with no lines at all!

Question re the expo: Since this is the first year I'm doing Dopey and have to pick up my bib on Wednesday, I'm worried about the lines. With the expo being open until 8PM on Wednesday, are the lines expected to be shorter if I go later in the day, perhaps around 5 or 6? I've gotten so spoiled just running Goofy before, and breezing in on Friday with no lines at all!
You should be fine at 5 or 6. The crazy lines will be at opening and lasting for a few hours. I'm looking at a 2 pm expo time so hopefully they have diminished by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter