Marathon Weekend 2018

:confused3
Last day and last Sunday of the year! I can’t believe we are almost there after a year of discussing, planning, and training. So for the final Sundays are for Disney question...

Are you ready?

My answer: yes! Bring on marathon weekend! Yes it might be cold but I’m ready to have fun, meet some amazing Disers and earn some bling!

Ready for this god-forsaken year to end? Hell yes!

Ready for the marathon? Ehhhhh... :confused3

I lost a toenail this morning (that got damaged running a very humid 12 mile run in Orlando in Sept) so now I'm really ready!!!! Looking forward to a few short runs this week and then Disney!!!

My Timehop this morning showed me the picture I took of my foot on NYE last year when my toenail fell off. Given I flew to Orlando today, I took it as a sign too

SQOTD - Training wise, I guess I’m ready. I wish I had more miles in but it is what it is. I did get two 15 milers, a 17 miler and a 20 miler in. That should cover me. Just depends on how my body is going to feel on marathon day.

Packing is going very slowly. I am sitting here in the middle of a bunch of stuff and procrastinating, obviously.

I think I will just pack for every condition as best I can. With the current forecast I suspect there is no way around it for me. I’m going to be cold for part of the race, just right for part of the race, and too hot for part of the race!

Good luck on your final preparations everyone! I do like reading your stories and advice.

ATSAFDQ: I am ready training wise, ready to rock! Did my run yesterday but skipping my run tomorrow- no TM access and it’s supposed to be a negative wind chill outside. I just can’t. #nope

I am ready to get out of this house of sickness before I get sick! I’m mainlining emergen-C and Zicam!

Packing wise, working on it! I also have everything spread everywhere, trying to figure out how to get it all in my luggage and I’m already using my biggest bag to check, a carryon and a backpack! Want to carry on all my race clothes and trying to figure out what layers to pack that I can fit! :confused:

Sunday question: My brain is already ready and on vacation. The rest of me just needs to catch up! I have an ever-expanding pile of stuff on my dining table that I’ve gradually been adding to but tomorrow is official packing day. Then I just have to survive one day of work before flying out Tuesday night!

Are you ready?

Absolutely! Feeling like I'm in the best shape of my life and ready to make some serious dents in my PRs. I feel as if there is a legitimate chance that I'll achieve my goal of a Sextuple PR (by PR'ing all 4 races and the 2 challenges). Just doing my best to avoid my daughter respectfully as she has had the flu since Wednesday. So far, so good!

We are enabling owners of a neurotic dog who gets anxious when we pull out suitcases, so I have just been piling stuff up on the furniture in my bedroom. I will literally sneak my suitcase out when she's asleep and fill it up, and then hide it again until I get her to the dog-sitter (my mom). Do we cater to the dog too much? Probably :confused3

SAFD:
I’m ready! Or as ready as I’m going to be. I ran a 5K in 20 degree weather so I’m not worried about that though it’s the waiting in the corrals I’m more concerned about with the weather. Can’t wait to meet you all! I fly in on Tuesday... anyone else flying out of Hartford?

I just broke down and ordered some Mylar blankets from Amazon using my Prime trial. Paid a couple dollars more for guaranteed delivery on Wednesday since the 2-day was listed as Thursday and since I leave that night I don’t want to cut it too close. I hope that with a couple long-sleeved layers and one of those I should be okay if it’s cold.

My Timehop this morning showed me the picture I took of my foot on NYE last year when my toenail fell off. Given I flew to Orlando today, I took it as a sign too
It is a sign!!! The only other time I lost a toenail was when I did the Disney marathon 2 years ago (my only marathon). Despite the humidity I felt great the whole race. Unfortunately I didn't realize until I got back to my hotel that I had enormous blisters on my toes, and suffered with them until I came home and had a podiatrist take care of them. Lesson learned - I'm going to stop by the medic tent after the finish to make sure it didn't happen again!!!

So my Dad is trying to decide what to do about spectating. He is thinking of going to the Magic Kingdom, but isn’t sure how crowded it will be. His other idea is to try to see me at the Transportation and Ticket Center and then again outside the Polynesian or Grand Floridian. Is this idea a possibility - would they allow him to try to walk over there from the TTC or would they try to stop him?

Latest Temp update without imagery: The Canadian weather model is showing upper 20's between 6:00 and 7:00 AM for all four races. The GFS model shows low to mid 30's for January 4th, 5th, and 6th. An low 40's on the 7th. Another weather model known as the NAM, is now coming into range from a forecasting standpoint. It goes out only until the 4th of January early morning. It is showing a January 4th 6 AM temp of 31 degrees. Considering these three models are three of the most relied upon by meteorologists for guidance, I'd say what I said yesterday.......pack for anything, but it's more likely that temps will be in the 30's for all 4 races, and it's not out of the question it might dip below 30.

So my Dad is trying to decide what to do about spectating. He is thinking of going to the Magic Kingdom, but isn’t sure how crowded it will be. His other idea is to try to see me at the Transportation and Ticket Center and then again outside the Polynesian or Grand Floridian. Is this idea a possibility - would they allow him to try to walk over there from the TTC or would they try to stop him?

Your dad would have no issue walking over to the poly from the TTC. He could see you in two places instead of just one inside Main Street, which would be a little bit more crowded. But then again I'm not sure how many Spectators are going to want to be standing outside in the mid 30s.

One other thing about weather.....if you're traveling from the DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC area, or any of the big NE cities, the meteorologist are watching a potential large snowstorm for January 4th and 5th. Right now, it looks like it will stay far enough off the coast not to impact DC, Baltimore, or Philly, but NYC and further north are likely to hammered with a blizzard. There models are showing some indications that the storm may be closer to the coast. If that outcome happens, travel from DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC, will likely be impossible for the 4th and the 5th. If you're coming from these areas, and travelling either the 4th or 5th, keep an eye on this. YOu may want to adjust your schedule.

One other thing about weather.....if you're traveling from the DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC area, or any of the big NE cities, the meteorologist are watching a potential large snowstorm for January 4th and 5th. Right now, it looks like it will stay far enough off the coast not to impact DC, Baltimore, or Philly, but NYC and further north are likely to hammered with a blizzard. There models are showing some indications that the storm may be closer to the coast. If that outcome happens, travel from DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC, will likely be impossible for the 4th and the 5th. If you're coming from these areas, and travelling either the 4th or 5th, keep an eye on this. YOu may want to adjust your schedule.
I’ve heard talk about this and I hope it doesn’t affect me. I’m flying out the night of the 4th and although it’s not from the Northeast, it makes me a bit nervous. You never know what kind of effect a snowstorm somewhere else can cause on travel in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter