• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

Don't laugh, but I'm getting really nervous about the weather. We are just doing the 5k, but I'm from Texas and am not used to standing around in 30 degree weather for an hour, hour and a half while we wait to begin the 5k. I've completely redone my outfit, hopefully I'm ready. Please tell me it's not as bad as I think it will be? LOL! As long as there is no rain, I will be there. This will be my first disney run and although I am nervous about the weather, I am excited.
My perspective as a Floridian who’s run a bunch of WDW races with starts in the 30s: it feels darned cold. Bone-chilling cold. I am not in any way acclimated to temps that low and it hurts! But if I just layer up, I’m fine. I also have Raynaud’s Syndrome, so keeping skin covered in temps below 40 is really important: YMMV on that, of course. But for the 5K, which I do low-effort, lots of stops for pics, not making much warmth through running, I’ll wear: 2 layers of running tights, two tech shirts, a fleece jacket, hat that covers my ears, gloves. And I’ll add throwaway old PJ pants & a Mylar blanket before the race.

I couldn’t quote them all, but re: expo vendors & warm clothes... One More Mile usually has arm sleeves. Fit 2 Run will very likely opt to have cold weather gear for sale, given the forecast. If there’s a Champion booth, they’ll have some things. BondiBand headbands make GREAT ear warmers (the heavier, solid color wicking ones) and they usually also sell neck gaiters, which I love in cold weather.

My perspective as a Floridian who’s run a bunch of WDW races with starts in the 30s: it feels darned cold. Bone-chilling cold. I am not in any way acclimated to temps that low and it hurts! But if I just layer up, I’m fine. I also have Raynaud’s Syndrome, so keeping skin covered in temps below 40 is really important: YMMV on that, of course. But for the 5K, which I do low-effort, lots of stops for pics, not making much warmth through running, I’ll wear: 2 layers of running tights, two tech shirts, a fleece jacket, hat that covers my ears, gloves. And I’ll add throwaway old PJ pants & a Mylar blanket before the race.

I couldn’t quote them all, but re: expo vendors & warm clothes... One More Mile usually has arm sleeves. Fit 2 Run will very likely opt to have cold weather gear for sale, given the forecast. If there’s a Champion booth, they’ll have some things. BondiBand headbands make GREAT ear warmers (the heavier, solid color wicking ones) and they usually also sell neck gaiters, which I love in cold weather.

Ugh. Me too. Numb white fingers pretty much everyday in the winter or you know, just picking up a pack of sandwich meat in the refrigerated aisle. Gloves and hand warmers.

Is there any reason/advantage to running with your magic band on in terms of "added experiences/conveniences"? If it's not going to aid/assist with stuff during the race, I'll just leave it in my hotel room, since I was going to head back there to shower after my races before heading back to the park.

Is there any reason/advantage to running with your magic band on in terms of "added experiences/conveniences"? If it's not going to aid/assist with stuff during the race, I'll just leave it in my hotel room, since I was going to head back there to shower after my races before heading back to the park.

It's useful for buying beer at the bars in AK and Epcot, as well as at the beer truck in the parking lot finish area.

Happy New Year! I have the latest run for the NAM (north American Model), which is the best near to mid-term forecasting model available. Many meteorologists use this model to dial in on a forecast. The NAM is showing a moderate snow event for Boston and parts of Long Island, but a major event just east to the Cape, and on the eastern end of Long Island. This is going to be a close call, but based on what some said last night, if this holds true, Logan should not be impacted much. Looks like the mid atlantic is going to dodge the bullet altogether which is obviously a good thing. Though, earlier frames of this model show significant snow for northeast Georgia, SC and parts of NC. As I said earlier, use or ignore this info as you wish. I'm just posting this info because I know there are people out there that have trained for 5 months to a year to get themselves ready for their big day, and I don't think anyone would like all of that hard work (and money) to go to waste because of a storm that would keep them from getting there.

nam_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.png

I'm sure you're ready, and you'll do fine. Though I will say I'm nervous with you. This is my first runDisney event, and that makes the anticipation level that much higher. What training plan did you follow?
I followed the Hal Higdon Novie 1 plan, but I extended each training week by two days. So I have 9 days between each long run. I added a 4 miler and a rest day to each week. I believe I got the idea from @OldSlowGoofyGuy (I apologize if it was from someone else). Overuse injury was one of my biggest worry about training for a marathon, so I thought this was a great idea!

Well I didn't draw those two weather map images. Those are from computer runs and not "weather people". Use or ignore the info as you'd like. I posted it for the people who may find travel difficult or impossible on the 4th or 5th. As far as temps are concerned, a lot of people automatically wonder how it could be in the low 30's in Orlando and don't prepare for the cool weather. If you think temps in the 30's are impossible just look back to the start of last year's marathon. It was 34 degrees and in believe in 2010 runners from this board talked about running in freezing rain. As I said, use or ignore the info as you'd like. As a mass resident with so much experience with "weather person" hype, you shouldn't have a thing to worry about right?

I never mentioned a thing about temps in the 30s in FL. Not sure where that came from.:confused3

I was simply giving you my experience as a native New Englander since you don't live here and stated earlier in the thread that you think we'll get hammered with a blizzard. As well as making simple conversation about a weather model.

Training update:
I completed a sleep deprivation test, followed by a low-impact cold-acclimatization run. I then successfully completed a pre-race corral-wait simulation. Hydration and carb-loading plan is on schedule.

Translation:
I stayed up too late drinking champagne with my DW. I still managed to get up at 7:20 and joggled 4 miles in snow flurries this morning. I was too lazy to change out of my running clothes, so I put on a couple of old flannel shirts and an ear-muff hat over my running gear. I sat on the porch in 27 degree weather and drank beer.

I'm ready.

Accuweather

1/3 - H 53 L 32 70% chance of rain during the day
1/4 - H 55 L 30 Sunny and breezy
1/5 - H 53 L 31 Sunny and cool
1/6 - H 56 L 38 Sunny and cool
1/7 - H 67 L 46 Mostly sunny and warmer

Weather.com

1/3 - H 51 L 32 90% chance of rain during the day
1/4 - H 53 L 33 Sunny with winds from 10-20 MPH
1/5 - H 54 L 34 Sunny with some clouds, winds from 5-10 MPH
1/6 - H 59 L 42 Mostly sunny winds 10-15 MPH
1/7 - H 68 L 53 Mostly sunny, winds 10-15 MPH

Today's update...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter