Marathon Weekend 2018

Sunday Question: Ready, not sure. I have followed training plan religiously so I have to put trust into the training plan (Galloway). The plan started end of June. My mocks show that I can do it, but you still never know what happens when you are outside your controlled environment.

On the positives; my runs at home for the past 2 months were never as warm as it will be Race Weekend. And, I feel my endurance has improved. We did Star Wars (5K, 10K and Half) in 2016 and I was looking through the scrapbook this morning. I had notes on how beat I was after the 10 and after the half I needed to take a 2 hour nap. Even though my mock Dopey I was pretty much lounging around the house, after I did a half marathon (PR'd a race, not just a run around home) we came home and cleaned out the garage. No nap or resting my legs.

Regardless of how I am feeling on the race days, I'm not spending this much on race entry and not ending Sunday without 6 medals! Good luck to everyone and safe travels!!!!!!

FYI for NFL football fans, the schedule is out for next weekend.
I used to love watching the games during marathon weekend but all the flag protesting has dampened my enthusiasm.
Still something to do before going to sleep *early* Saturday night...

January 6 & 7:

Saturday 4:35 Titans at Chiefs on ESPN
Saturday 8:15 Falcons at Rams on NBC

Sunday 1:05 Bills at Jaguars on CBS
Sunday 4:40 Panthers at Saints on FOX

Close to fully packed. Ended up taking bigger suitcases than we hoped because of stupid throw down needs, but it’ll be fine. I think the actual running temps will be great actually, just that wait beforehand to contend with. Actually hoping that crappy weather forecast will keep park attendance down some as well. There’s always a silver lining. :)

We have some old snuggies we bought the girls as a joke years ago and plan to wrap those in Mylar wraps along with some other cheapo blankets we had for huddling before the races. But it made for a lot of bulky packing. But magical Express will help contend with that as well.

Oh and I’m as ready as I’m gonna be, so that’s good enough for me!

FYI for NFL football fans, the schedule is out for next weekend.
I used to love watching the games during marathon weekend but all the flag protesting has dampened my enthusiasm.
Still something to do before going to sleep *early* Saturday night...

January 6 & 7:

Saturday 4:35 Titans at Chiefs on ESPN
Saturday 8:15 Falcons at Rams on NBC

Sunday 1:05 Bills at Jaguars on CBS
Sunday 4:40 Panthers at Saints on FOX

My husband had me looking at this last night. Happy the chiefs are the early game Saturday but I’m going to have to change dinner plans I guess.

Had my first race nightmare. I was running the 5k, not in my running sneakers. I had to stop every 2 minutes to tie my laces because they just couldn't stay tied. I knew I was running slower than anticipated, but somehow as I was nearing the finish line, my mom came ONTO the course to try to congratulate me, but I pushed her out of the way because I still hadn't crossed the finish line!! And then the medal distributing volunteers stopped me dead in my tracks before I could hit the finish line mat to stop my time and tried to give me my medal. I'm not all too sure why I was so concerned about my time in my dream, but I finished 40 minutes slower than anticipated and I was so mad. Needless to say, I feel like I'm ready, but part of me always has nerves (clearly) that something will go wrong.

Happy new year everyone!! :)

I followed the Hal Higdon Novie 1 plan, but I extended each training week by two days. So I have 9 days between each long run. I added a 4 miler and a rest day to each week. I believe I got the idea from @OldSlowGoofyGuy (I apologize if it was from someone else). Overuse injury was one of my biggest worry about training for a marathon, so I thought this was a great idea!
That was a good idea and if you are happy with your results, I wouldn't be afraid to share it with others. I did the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 plan and your overuse injury concern is legitimate. I did three 20 mile runs and following my last one, I developed anterior tibialis tendonitis. Been two weeks since that run and I believe I've worked out the issue with the help of a physical therapist and her ultrasound machine. Your adding two days to each week is interesting. Great idea! I may try that myself next time around or do one of the Hanson programs that has max mileage runs at 16 miles. I'll let you know after it's over. Good luck! But I'm sure you won't need it because you're prepared. Be confident! You earned it!

I'm as ready as I'll ever be! Still getting over a cold but hopefully it will be gone by Sunday. We fly down from Baltimore Saturday morning. It looks like the weather should be ok for the flight. Packing today and taking lots of throw away layers. My race shirt and nails are ready too :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 28
As for being ready....

Need to do laundry and pack.

So my quad strain is still there, but improving. Apparently though, my body decided to throw in a lower back muscle strain for good measure--another one of these "but I'm not doing any exercise, where the heck did this come from" kind of things. I just hope by Thursday morning this all goes away.

And 50 degrees sure looks nice.

SAFD:
I’m ready! Or as ready as I’m going to be. I ran a 5K in 20 degree weather so I’m not worried about that though it’s the waiting in the corrals I’m more concerned about with the weather. Can’t wait to meet you all! I fly in on Tuesday... anyone else flying out of Hartford?

1. Hi - I'm from Connecticut but I'm flying out of JFK. Looking forward to much warmer weather in Orlando than CT!!!

Glad I read that because until then, I thought HH was Saturday. I would have been pretty lonely. :)

You never know, @Keels and I might be there then too. :)

Yeah, well, seeing as I was at Hurricane Hannah’s last night and I wasn’t even staying there ... pretty safe assumption.

Did I hear that y'all will be at HH after your marathon run to celebrate with those back of the packers that are just getting to mile 24. We can stop in for a few minutes and join y'all. :rotfl2:.

Real time weather update from FL, 100 miles west of WDW: the first of the two cold fronts has arrived... it’s COLD. 50 and dropping fast (started at 61 this morning!), and a very cold wind from the north, plus a fine mist and overcast skies. We’re supposed to drop into the 30s tonight.

Also... GO BILLS!!!!!!!

DH came in the room last night while I was packing and had my suitcases and clothes and snacks and throw away stuff etc all over the bed and asked me if I was moving to FL! So today I am removing some things and reorganizing lol. :)

Just did our final walmart run. Got some beading thread and quilting needles so I can sew straps to my hats so they don't fly off, 7 more packs of hot hands, and a 64Gb DS card for my go pro. ( I was nervous about running out of space just before we make the final turn by the hallelujah choir.

I think this might be the most I have ever packed. My carry on suitcase is just full of my costumes. DW has her carry on with her costume and some of our clothes. Then we have 2 checked bags ( one of which is filled with blankets and throw down clothes) I'm not looking forward to 4 cold mornings and I really hope we don't get a lot of rain.

Been battling a sore achilles all week since my last long run last Sunday...tried to give it a go on Christmas Day and quit after about .1 mi. tried again 3 days later and made it about a mile. I could have kept going but I could feel it was still "there" so I just walked home. I've been biking and swimming to keep the heart pumping and tay active.

Im going to basically just pick up on Monday where I would have if I didnt miss a day and just go through the normal race week routine. People get sick and miss 5+ days but at least Ive been able to do other things.

This isn't an A race for me and I'm really giving myself a modest goal (I still want to PR but not trying to BQ) so hopefully this week of rest will do me some good....I've actually enjoyed it from a relaxation standpoint...I'm not the kind of guy who starts freaking out during a taper. I actually enjoy staying up past 9 am occasionally, lol

Got my 3 miles in yesterday completely pain and soreness free.

Im ready to do this!!!

Ive got a pretty good feeling the Saints are going to end up with the night game on Saturday night. better than Sunday afternoon game for my personal schedule but that means for for a light night of sleep before the marathon

5bda238d8a63605d4355f60f5fc730dd7726bcadc3ffda4d4314259d4985304f.jpg

well @Keels , looks like I'll be watching the first half from hoop de doo

I am a bit late on this, busy packing! :)

SAFD: I am ready! I did not train exactly for Dopey but have been training for two different ultras in October and November. I then just jumped into a Dopey plan. I have been pretty smart about actually tapering this year so I feeling rested and ready. A little bummed about this weather. I think I will like the cold for the runs. But for the parks I wanted something a bit warmer. Either way, we will be in Disney soon! So it is all good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter