Marathon Weekend 2018

Wow I am pretty tired after dealing with the expo! I ended up waiting in the big merchandise line because I didn’t have anywhere else to be. A lot of people where really starting to loose their patience and I can’t blame them. What really bothered me is that it seems like RunDisney didn’t expect thousands of people to all show up at the same time. Luckily I stumbled into what ended up being the Dopey bib pickup but a lot of people where confused about where to go. Looking forward to tomorrow morning!

So just to make sure I am reading the event guide correctly, we all have to board a bus within a 30minute window tomorrow between 3:30 and 4am? That’ll be fun...

Yep and it’s a 30 minutes window for the half and full too. Having boarded late before I’m pretty sure they can’t get all the Runner’s on in 30 minutes.

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 6.14.25 PM.png

So I think there is only one way to approach this weekend. My flight was cancelled and after 4 hours on the phone and web, we are now flying through Detroit and Minneapolis to get to Orlando - a 10 hour trip! I had to make and cancel a hotel reservation for tomorrow (after one alternate flight was booked and cancelled), and since it is inside the cancellation window, I just flushed $180 down the toilet.

Given what people are saying about the Expo, it looks like the organizers may have mailed it in this year. I hope not. And my knee is still not right so I'll be hobbling at some point.

It's time for the full Clark Griswold: We are going to have the hap, hap ,happiest trip since Bing Crosby danced with Danny frickin Kaye!

I know there were a number of people wondering about corral changes. I was just able to EASILY change my corral from H to D. I used my 2016 Star Wars Half results to sign up and showed them my 2017 Wine & Dine results and they were VERY nice.

You will get the gift on the day of your retreat. Just go to the tent - may be before or after you finish. Not sure but they will take care of the tags for you on the band.

No more scary expo!

Hopefully the giving is after. Not checking a bag and have no desire to carry anything for 3 hours.

The proposed weather for Saturday has me between my normal cold (tights, long sleeves and gloves) and semi cold running attire ( shorts and light long sleeve). What is everyone wearing?

Last edited:

View attachment 291982

So I think there is only one way to approach this weekend. My flight was cancelled and after 4 hours on the phone and web, we are now flying through Detroit and Minneapolis to get to Orlando - a 10 hour trip! I had to make and cancel a hotel reservation for tomorrow (after one alternate flight was booked and cancelled), and since it is inside the cancellation window, I just flushed $180 down the toilet.

I would call your hotel directly about the cancellation fee. When my son got stuck in Atlanta with the fire/power failure, Hilton agreed to waive the cancellation fee. It can't hurt to try--this is a big storm, and everyone's plans are getting mucked up, so maybe they'll be flexible. Good luck with your travel.

Yep and it’s a 30 minutes window for the half and full too. Having boarded late before I’m pretty sure they can’t get all the Runner’s on in 30 minutes.

Took this morning bus driver more than 30 minutes to get from Wilderness Lodge to the right spot at contemporary for the next stop...

Went to the expo at 5:00 today and that merch line was absolutely ridiculous! After a long day of travel, I was not going to wait. Maybe I’ll go back later in the week.

Survived the expo. Race Retreat for early entry was money well spent. Staying at SSR and got a little anxious when bus didn’t show up until 9:50 (they said 9:30itd be there). But made it through RunDisney merchandise, bib pickups and part of other vendors by noon.

The one problem I had, which was corrected was shirt exchange. Doing Dopey and ordered size medium. Well unisex 5k is too big as men’s size so I went to exchange for a medium. First Lady would not let me unless I returned all 6 shirts for a small. I explained sizing was men’s for 5k vs women’s for rest. She still didn’t care. Asked for person in charge and he didn’t care either. He said I should have ordered a smaller size. I tried explaining how the 5 main shirts fit and you can only do one size. I don’t know if he finally got it or was sick of listening to me, but he exchanged just the 5k for me. Not sure on policy if they should have exchanged an individual shirt or not, but I’m happy. I like all the shirts. Doubt I’ll wear the white though.
Yeah, that is an issue they've had...would be nice is they had womens t-shirts for the 5k

Went to the expo at 5:00 today and that merch line was absolutely ridiculous! After a long day of travel, I was not going to wait. Maybe I’ll go back later in the week.

We left at 5:00 after getting our bibs and braving the general expo merch. DD28 got smacked in the face by a guy speaking German who just walked off without saying anything. Saw the official merch line and left. #somuchnope Maybe tomorrow or Friday.

ETA: good night all! See you Dopes tomorrow! :)

My flight out of Boston tomorrow morning was just cancelled. Looking for alternatives. Might have to drive 3 hours to Burlington VT. Or I may try to cancel the whole trip. Bummer

Man that sucks! No weather here but hoping cancellations don’t mess things up for flights on Friday.

$800 for the marathon medal seems...ambitious.

EDIT: and they can’t even throw in free shipping? :sad2:

I’ll gladly sell mine for $799 with free shipping.

Is she coming to the Hurricane Hannah's meet-up on Friday?

#cancelled

So even though I’m not running I braved the expo today. It was one big disorganized mess. The line cutting, pushing, shoving and all out rudeness of other shoppers was ridiculous. I thought PHM was bonkers, but today was awful. I might have lost while waiting to have KT tape put on. I was next in line when a group of 6 people shoved past me to grab the open seat! I didn’t even bother getting in the RD merchandise line.

Question: I normally don’t have to bag check but DH and I are both running the marathon this year. We did not get stickers for our bags. How will bag check work?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter