• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

Sadly, the plane is set to lift off in minutes. I of course still have my magic band on and am trying to think of this flight as just a new and very realistic attraction in the parks!

Great weekend, good races and feeling good. Best news, we volunteered to give up seats this morning and now three hours later we have 2000$ in vouchers! Tickets for next year maybe?

Those still in WDW enjoy the time, safe travels!

I just realized I didn't get a Marathon Magic Band. :sad::sad:
So I don't know if it is the same ones you are talking about but I know you could make one at the D-TECH booths. I was playing with the options for the WDWMW phone cases at the Buzz Lightyear Ride and looked at the magicbands too and they had one Marathon Weekend band you could customize. Not sure how long they are in there as an option either, but just thought I would share!

Well, darn. I looked at D-Tech, but it was Monday, so maybe before they were out. If anyone is willing to get one for me, I'd be happy to Paypal/Venmo in advance.

I’m waiting on the bus to head back to the airport. Sadly I’m doing it solo. We had to get Chris a flight to KC yesterday to see his dad. They found a brain tumor they must remove. Unfortunately he has a very bad heart and we aren’t sure he can survive the surgery. He’s headed into the procedure any time now so if anyone wants to offer up prayers or good thoughts we’d appreciate it. Not really the conclusion of the weekend we’d planned, but hoping he can get through the surgery and that the tumor is benign.
Prayers for him, Chris, you, and others who love him.

I would suggest everyone to email RunDisney with feedback, positive or negative. The way that races improve each year is through your feedback!
Totally. I'm glad I sent them my thoughts after all of the screw-ups at Tink, it at least it made me feel like I *did* something rather than just pout. :teeth:

Has anyone else signed up for the virtual half marathon and Kessel Run Challenge? I'm signed up for the WDW First Order Challenge and was disappointed I couldn't complete the Kessel Run portion as they discontinued the West Coast RD events. I just noticed online they're advertising a virtual half marathon and Kessel Run now. Just wasn't sure if anyone else signed up for this and was their some catch I wasn't seeing. I'd love to complete that KRC is possible and run half marathon distances regularly on the weekends so I could easily knock out the virtual portion of that.

I am!!! I have coveted the Kessel Run medal for more than two years now, but wasn't able to do the two race weekends in 2017. I was heartbroken when Light Side was canceled, so it's very exciting for me to be able to get my KR as planned! No catch -- if you sign up you'll get the Kessel Run medal when you complete the Dark Side Half.

Well, darn. I looked at D-Tech, but it was Monday, so maybe before they were out. If anyone is willing to get one for me, I'd be happy to Paypal/Venmo in advance.

I’ll check for you tomorrow!

Home, unpacked, and snuggling with the pup on the couch as I reflect on this weekend. What can I say? WOW! Overall, this was an incredible experience. My sister and I set out to become Dopey and finish marathon #3 and we did it! The early wake ups and sitting in the cold weather waiting to start were taxing by Sunday morning. This was our slowest marathon to date but definitely our most fun. We stopped for a ton of pictures, throwing more caution to the wind than usual when we jumped in some pretty long lines. We spent about 20 minutes on Everest which was well worth it! Shout out to the nice park go-ers in Germany who let us jump the line to get our Schofferhoffers and run for the finish.

@ZellyB I think we saw you in MK on the marathon course! I was going to say hi once we got our picture with the stepsisters but you and your husband were no where in sight on the other side of the castle! Thinking of you and your family as you head home to that difficult situation!

Photopass question. In past experience I found the download process took a while, so I'd rather only do it once. For those who've done it before, how many days post race events can I expect them to stop adding photos? I have had new ones each day, including today. By Friday should they all be in my account?

I’m waiting on the bus to head back to the airport. Sadly I’m doing it solo. We had to get Chris a flight to KC yesterday to see his dad. They found a brain tumor they must remove. Unfortunately he has a very bad heart and we aren’t sure he can survive the surgery. He’s headed into the procedure any time now so if anyone wants to offer up prayers or good thoughts we’d appreciate it. Not really the conclusion of the weekend we’d planned, but hoping he can get through the surgery and that the tumor is benign.

butterflysendingprayers.gif

This photo pretty much sums up a fun weekend for me. Lots of good times had even if all the the new friends made aren’t in this picture. Hope everyone had as much fun as I did. :) View attachment 293276

28/10 - best picture ever!

Would have been better if there was a tiger...

It was a fantastic 6 days. I was able to meet quite a few from the boards.

I agree there should have been a tiger. And in a few days when I get things organized back home and at work there will be a tiger. Keels can tell you. The crane and cable behind the castle photo bombed her first Dopey picture with all of her medals displayed.

The crane wasn't in that picture very long. I can take a crane out and I can put a tiger in. :rotfl2:

Last edited:
I am!!! I have coveted the Kessel Run medal for more than two years now, but wasn't able to do the two race weekends in 2017. I was heartbroken when Light Side was canceled, so it's very exciting for me to be able to get my KR as planned! No catch -- if you sign up you'll get the Kessel Run medal when you complete the Dark Side Half.

That's great news! So, do you just sign up for both the virtual half and the kessel or do you only sign up for the kessel?

That's great news! So, do you just sign up for both the virtual half and the kessel or do you only sign up for the kessel?

The Kessel includes the virtual Half, so I am signed up for both. I was already signed up for all three races at Dark Side, so the other half is taken care of.

Has anyone else signed up for the virtual half marathon and Kessel Run Challenge?
I signed up for the virtual half marathon. Haven't decided if I will run it on my own or do it as part of some other half marathon. I guess I can always use the half of the WDW Marathon, but that feels like cheating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter