Marathon Weekend 2020

On the plus side, lines elsewhere in the four parks should be shorter...
I don’t know if that will be the case. I think Star Wars will bring more people overall to WDW which means crowds will need somewhere to go outside Star Wars.
Buuuut... if crowds will be higher all year due to SWGE, the slowest of the seasons just may be the optimum time (relatively speaking) to go! #FuzzyDisneyCalendarPlanning :)

I might be in for next year. Arthritis caught up with me late last year, and for a time my running career looked like it was over. Between losing some weight, cross training, running on forgiving surfaces, a lot of vegetables, spices and herbs, I've been able to manage it to the point that I'm running 30 miles/week now. I can't run longer than a 10k on the road, though, without my joints complaining. I think I can squeeze another 15-20 lbs off, though, and I know based on experience that will make an enormous difference to my joint pain. If I get to that point I'll probably give MW another go. My son and his friends did the half this year.

That’s my goal too, to really get some weight off to make the running easier on my body. That and figuring what will work better for me training in the winter (which for us starts in October).

That’s my goal too, to really get some weight off to make the running easier on my body.

I'll testify on the value of weight loss on my running. I didn't lose enough to qualify as thin, but I saw a big difference between Marathon 17 and Marathon 19 with my 15lb weight loss. Not a much faster time because I played around, but a lot more comfortable and confident. Now I'm working on a time goal for my upcoming half--chasing the elusive 2:45, and I'm shooting to lose another 5 by then.

On the "when do I tell my family front" I need some help from the collective on how I can make the trip meet a tighter budget. It's a long stay. I'm considering staying off-property for the Wed-Fri, coming on-property Saturday for Sat + Sunday nights. We'd rent a car and drive to the Expo, 5K, 10K and half from somewhere I can use my points. Any recommendations? I think we'd want to spend the afternoons of the 10K and half sitting by the pool instead of doing the parks, maybe even working (!) then go back to touring the parks for Sunday + Monday.

I'll testify on the value of weight loss on my running. I didn't lose enough to qualify as thin, but I saw a big difference between Marathon 17 and Marathon 19 with my 15lb weight loss. Not a much faster time because I played around, but a lot more comfortable and confident. Now I'm working on a time goal for my upcoming half--chasing the elusive 2:45, and I'm shooting to lose another 5 by then.

On the "when do I tell my family front" I need some help from the collective on how I can make the trip meet a tighter budget. It's a long stay. I'm considering staying off-property for the Wed-Fri, coming on-property Saturday for Sat + Sunday nights. We'd rent a car and drive to the Expo, 5K, 10K and half from somewhere I can use my points. Any recommendations? I think we'd want to spend the afternoons of the 10K and half sitting by the pool instead of doing the parks, maybe even working (!) then go back to touring the parks for Sunday + Monday.

I just did a super budget version of marathon weekend. I ran the half so only had 3 hotel nights and stayed at AOA value resort. We only had two table service meals total for the whole trip and did hotel food court multiple times. I also left my husband and daughter at home...so didn't need to pay anything for them.

If you can skip the parkhopper ticket option that could help. My park style when not doing races is to rope drop one park, go back to hotel and then visit another in the evening. But on race weekends getting up at 2:30am...I tend to just sort of lollygag around after the race, eat at the hotel, nap and visit one park in the afternoon/evening.
I only parkhopped one night this marathon weekend and my dad never used his, so kind of wasted the extra expense.

or if you have another trip planned within the right window of time you could get an AP if it justifies savings down the road. I know that's not an option always.

For 2017 WDW Marathon weekend, I went down with my wife and college-aged (at the time) daughter. We arrived Friday morning, stayed 4 nights at Pop Century and then flew out of Orlando Tuesday evening. The main purpose of us being there was for me to run the Marathon. It was our only trip to WDW in which we did NOT ever go to the parks. Honestly, we had a great and relaxed time. My wife and I are considering doing the same thing in 2020 for the marathon assuming she decides to run it again. If you recall, 2017 was the year the half marathon was cancelled on Saturday because of storms... but (see below) many people got out there and ran 13.1 on their own terms that day.

Friday: was a short run at Pop Century, Expo, and Disney Springs at night. We ate at Splitsville.
Saturday: was my shakeout run... which was amazing because there were so many half marathon runners completing their "race" around the lake and around both Pop and AofA. Not only was there crowd support, but at least 2 makeshift hydration stops from what I remember. I was just doing 2-3 miles but loved being a part of this awesome moment. Then we headed over to breakfast at Boardwalk Bakery. It was windy/drizzly/cold, but there were more people completing their half race over there too. We stayed for a long time and cheered runners on with others. There was even a makeshift finish line that a family had going on using toilet paper stretched across the boardwalk for anyone that wanted to cross at their finish. It was truly an amazing display of making the most of a situation. We spent the rest of the day checking out EPCOT area hotels and then headed back to Pop.
Sunday: was my race. It was my easiest/most relaxing marathon to date and happens to be my 3rd fastest. Maybe helped because the weekend was relaxing or maybe I just like cold weather. It is the only marathon I've negative split. After the race, we ate a late breakfast at Kona at Poly and then headed to Pop for some rest. Later that day we explored the monorail resorts, watched Wishes from the contemporary viewing area, got on/timed a monorail ride to EPCOT that allowed us to see some of Illuminations while passing through, and then got back to the MK area in time to watch the Electric Water parade. It was a fun way to see some free entertainment that night. We were just seeing if we could actually time all those things.
Monday: I don't even remember what all we did on Monday. We may have played mini golf some time at Fantasia Gardens. We also took a bus to Hollywood Studios and watched Star Wars fireworks from the gate (lol) before we walked over to Beaches & Cream for a late dinner.
Tuesday: was sleeping in, Disney Springs, and then finally heading home.

My point of all this is that it's very possible to have a really good time down there on property and never go in the parks. We've been quite a bit. We used to be touring maniacs, but now my wife and I like to take it much easier. We've probably been down there 20 times, and this particular weekend is one of our most memorable... and we never went into any parks.

For 2017 WDW Marathon weekend, I went down with my wife and college-aged (at the time) daughter. We arrived Friday morning, stayed 4 nights at Pop Century and then flew out of Orlando Tuesday evening. The main purpose of us being there was for me to run the Marathon. It was our only trip to WDW in which we did NOT ever go to the parks. Honestly, we had a great and relaxed time. My wife and I are considering doing the same thing in 2020 for the marathon assuming she decides to run it again. If you recall, 2017 was the year the half marathon was cancelled on Saturday because of storms... but (see below) many people got out there and ran 13.1 on their own terms that day.

My point of all this is that it's very possible to have a really good time down there on property and never go in the parks. We've been quite a bit. We used to be touring maniacs, but now my wife and I like to take it much easier. We've probably been down there 20 times, and this particular weekend is one of our most memorable... and we never went into any parks.
I agree with all of this.

I'm in for Dopey 2020 (and not lurking on these boards like last year...). Injury in December last year limited me to the 5-K & 10-K, so looking forward to finally earning my medals!
Welcome! Glad you're out of lurking status. My favorite kind of race training is the super-comeback-revenge race training! You'll get 'em this year!

With SWGE opening right before Marathon weekend (if rumors are correct), how early is everyone going to book their rooms?

With SWGE opening right before Marathon weekend (if rumors are correct), how early is everyone going to book their rooms?

I don’t have my particular thoughts on this question narrowed down yet; but mark me down as possibly the one Star Wars fan that is absolutely not looking forward to the opening of SWGE. I’m really hoping they get ahead of schedule, but realistically there’s no way that it can be opened and not still drawing a larger than normal crowd to the parks during Marathon Weekend.

I’m not really picky about where I stay, but I’ll probably still have to look into booking a lot earlier this year.

I'll be on vacation there in June, and hope there will be bounceback offers then so I can book something. Tempting fate maybe but I'm not picky about where I stay and not ready to 100% commit to the race yet.

Just curious, new to runDisney Events/DISboards, and not sure if I should have tried to start a thread...
My wife and I signed up for our 1st Dopey, which was also our 1st runDisney event, in June 2018. Booked hotels/flights in June... Now we're coming back for another round planning on splitting the 1/2 & Full and both running the 10k. (both Dopey's with a 18 mo old was A LOT.) I've heard about "bounce back" and reservation packages and TBH it's not sure if this is specific to the races or general Disney knowledge but it doesn't look wise to book a year in advance. I'm not sure my ease getting this past year set up was a function of the registration happening later or less demand or just packages tend to go up around the races registrations, in this case April. Just looking for some guidance and prior experience in planning for 2020.

*** If you happened to be with the 5:45 Pacer Jim group, I was the "3,2,1 we run" guy for the last 4 miles with the breakaway thing that happened... ***

We stayed off-site (at Universal), got a rental car, and it was FABULOUS not having to deal with/worry about relying on Disney transportation. Keep in mind that I am the queen of catastrophic Disney transportation failures so I am always wary (at best) of it. We left our hotel for the 5K at 3:45 a.m. and for the half at 3:30 a.m., hit NO traffic issues, and had a warm car where we could relax until we needed to head to the start line. At the end, there was no line for transportation, a comfortable seat, and a bag with all of my post-race stuff (change of clothes, fuel, massage stick, etc.) waiting for me. I know that there are A LOT of people that favor staying on-site, but I had a great experience staying off-site.
Did you have to pay to park?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter