Marathon Weekend 2020

Love me some pool time and relaxing on our balcony either in the morning with some coffee, or in the afternoon with an adult beverage. One of the big reasons we love our DVC!

One of my favorite activities to do outside the parks is to rent one of the little 2 seater boats and speeding around Bay Lake. It's not very expensive and so much fun!872AF7BF-F761-4BF0-918B-232C28ACF071.jpeg

I love exploring the resorts, their shops and restaurants. Jellyrolls at the Boardwalk and River Roost at POR have great entertainment. Disney Springs is great to walk around and shop, though I do miss Pleasure Island. And renting the mini speedboats is always fun.

SAFD: I enjoy meandering through Disney Springs and looking through the specialty stores. I loved Hoy Polloi when it was there and I’ve missed its eclectic mix of collectibles since it left. Now some of my favorites are the watch store (I love automatic watches), the international soccer store, Art of Disney and the Lego Store.

When it comes time to eat, Raglan Road is a favorite for dinner with Ghirardelli and its dark chocolate hot fudge sundaes there for dessert/snack.

SAFD: I always want to try the pools, but have literally never been (can you tell I don’t have kids?). Last time, we had dinner reservations at Boma, got there early, grabbed a drink from the bar (forget exactly what I was called, but it was essentially an old- fashioned made with a South African whisky) and sat outside and watched the animals. We called it “drinking with giraffes” and would 10/10 recommend. Also love Ohana around fireworks time!

SAFD: It’s a tie between spending time at Disney Springs or the resorts. My two favorite resorts to spend time at are the Boardwalk and Animal Kingdom lodge.

Same for us on all accounts. If we go during the summer, we will take a break in the afternoon that sometimes includes taking the youngest two to the pools, but I cannot say that's my favorite.

SAFD: Resort hopping and eating! Listening to the band or pianist at GF. Viewing MK fireworks from stairs at CR. Watching animals at AKL. Food at Big River Grill and eating it while people watching on the Boardwalk. Nighttime entertainment on the Boardwalk. Sitting in front of the huge fireplace at WL. Segway tour at FW. Raglan Road to eat bread with Guinness reduction and see the Irish dancers or The Boathouse back porch to watch Amphibicars come and go. Also the big balloon. ANYWHERE there are Christmas decorations (especially the chocolate carousel at BC). Hitting up marshmallow roasts at any resort - FW has marshmallows along with a cowboy sing-along and Chip and Dale visit! Yeehaw Bob at POR. Riding around on the monorail (soon to take the Skyliner). Of course “shopping” or just looking through the stores everywhere. Once or twice we’ve sat by the pool. Ok, I’ll stop now.

Sitting on the balcony in the evening enjoying whatever the view is with a glass or wine/beer!

We always try to get in some pool time for the kids....and the last few Swan/Dolphin stays, we’ve enjoyed a little time relaxing on the beach.

SAFD: When I am with the family it is usually park time, pool time and sleep. But when I have gone solo I have really enjoyed exploring the resorts I have never stayed at and wandering around Disney Springs. A few years back I was down there for Dopey and tried my best to just take it easy so took in a few movies at Disney Springs and that was a lot of fun.

SAFD: I always want to try the pools, but have literally never been (can you tell I don’t have kids?). Last time, we had dinner reservations at Boma, got there early, grabbed a drink from the bar (forget exactly what I was called, but it was essentially an old- fashioned made with a South African whisky) and sat outside and watched the animals. We called it “drinking with giraffes” and would 10/10 recommend. Also love Ohana around fireworks time!
Drinking with Giraffes sounds lovely!!! Boma is one of my favorites (and will be my post marathon dinner again this year). I always arrive early so I can enjoy the savanna before sunset. Maybe next time I will have to do it with a tasty beverage!

SAFD: We always make a point to catch the Electric Water Pageant once a trip. Raglan Rose for GF onion rings and fish and chips for my wife who has celiac. Love the pool at Beach Club, especially if feeling a bit sore. Usually we stay at Contemporary during Marathon weekend and love to see the castle from the fourth floor balcony late at night.

SAFD: We (and I, when I'm solo) spend a LOT of time outside the parks when we do overnight visits. Favorite non-park activities have included...

Sleeping late (a luxury for me, as I never get to do that at home)
Finding a shaded spot at a quiet pool to read
Riding the monorail
Hitting up some resort arcades
Visiting the horses at Ft. Wilderness
Dinner at various resort lounges
Touring the MK and EP resorts to view Christmas decorations
Going for a run at CBR, POR/POFQ, CSR, or the EP resorts loop
Disney Springs for a meal and visit to Uniqlo to restock the best T-shirts in the world
Mini golf (we prefer Universal for this)
Vacation Laundry (for real - I LOVE doing laundry, and doing it on vacation is even more fun! I know; I'm weird) - better, Vacation Laundry at a pool!
The Archery Experience at FW - we did that one time for my son's birthday and it was way more fun than expected

Touring the MK and EP resorts to view Christmas decorations
Disney Springs for a meal and visit to Uniqlo to restock the best T-shirts in the world
Vacation Laundry (for real - I LOVE doing laundry, and doing it on vacation is even more fun! I know; I'm weird) - better, Vacation Laundry at a pool!
The Archery Experience at FW - we did that one time for my son's birthday and it was way more fun than expected

I forgot about Christmas Decorations. The slide ride at FW around Christmas is neat too.
Are you referring to the Airism t-shirts? Those are the best.
DVC is great for vacation laundry.

Are you referring to the Airism t-shirts? Those are the best.
Nope, the plain cotton tees - my son lives in them! I love one of the women's dressier tees so much, I have it in every color and wear them almost daily with dress pants at work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter