Marathon Weekend 2020

I've got two theories going:

1. They just plain reduced the size of the fields across the board. While, yes, this would mean less revenue, it also means they could lower staffing and purchase of supplies, so it may either be a wash or better bottom line.
2. They reduced the fields for Dopey and Goofy rather than wait to break up challenges to re-open 5K and 10K slots later, but overall numbers will hold the same. The hitch with that theory is it assumes the half and full can sell out on their own... and that's a pretty rare event.

I've got two theories going:

1. They just plain reduced the size of the fields across the board. While, yes, this would mean less revenue, it also means they could lower staffing and purchase of supplies, so it may either be a wash or better bottom line.
2. They reduced the fields for Dopey and Goofy rather than wait to break up challenges to re-open 5K and 10K slots later, but overall numbers will hold the same. The hitch with that theory is it assumes the half and full can sell out on their own... and that's a pretty rare event.
For 2, the half would be more likely to sell out than the full. Even 2018 wasn’t the peak year for the marathon 2013 was. I still think we see some spots open back up around thanksgiving.

Currently trying to get to the IT Department at WDW because the website still refuses to acknowledge my AP as a valid ticket to make my fastpasses for the trip.

This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact this is the second year in a row where the system has done this to me. At least I'm not doing it at Disneyland this year I guess....

This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that the current wait time for the phone is over 60 minutes.

Did I miss something? Why is the wait time for the phone line over 60 minutes? Why is it so freaking long, what apparently got released?

Oh and I might have to do this again next week for my Dec trip since I probably won't get lucky with my account and making fastpasses.

ETA: Eighty minutes. I spent eighty minutes on hold and then the system punted me to the survey. Back on hold but I will have spend an hour and a half on hold just trying to book a FP thanks to an issue that’s been around for over a year.

Last edited:

Speculating if there is any correlation to the 5am start time for the marathon with the apparent decreased field size - it would seem that Disney wants us out the parks earlier, and reducing the total # of runners would help that happen.

FWIW - last year I decided I wanted to do the *sold out* W&D race sometime in the middle of the summer and I was able to get a bib from a TA. Had to get a hotel w/ it through them but the price was the same as booking direct thru Disney. They waived the ticket requirement since I had an AP. Hope those of you who missed out get to sign up!

Speculating if there is any correlation to the 5am start time for the marathon with the apparent decreased field size - it would seem that Disney wants us out the parks earlier, and reducing the total # of runners would help that happen.
It makes sense to clear the parks earlier. That means less disruption to regular guests and possibly hoping that more runners get into the parks earlier in order to spend more money in celebration of their accomplishment. In making my FP+ this morning for marathon weekend, I had to make selections based on when I realistically will make it into the parks after the half, but especially after the marathon.

And honestly, I think starting the marathon earlier is not a bad thing. I'm already awake at way too early in the morning that day anyways and this gives me more cushion to make a post 3:00pm ADR.

I’m trying to work through why RD would reduce capacity unless there is a physical constraint. Barring that, Disney wouldn’t artificially reduce capacity. If you can sell the bibs, sell the bibs.

It seems like this time last year we were all talking about waiting until the last minute because registration kept getting cheaper. But making 75% on a bib late in the year still makes more sense than making 0% on a bib.

There has to be a more physical reason for the apparent reduction. I won’t be surprised if we see a reconfigured start with fewer and larger corrals.

I’m trying to work through why RD would reduce capacity unless there is a physical constraint. Barring that, Disney wouldn’t artificially reduce capacity. If you can sell the bibs, sell the bibs.

It seems like this time last year we were all talking about waiting until the last minute because registration kept getting cheaper. But making 75% on a bib late in the year still makes more sense than making 0% on a bib.

There has to be a more physical reason for the apparent reduction. I won’t be surprised if we see a reconfigured start with fewer and larger corrals.
Construction is a major issue right now. You also have a course change this year and it seems they want people to finish as quickly as possible with the earlier start time.

I don’t expect a change in start. Wine and dine 5K used the normal marathon start and I fully expect the finish they used for wine and dine weekend to stay the same for marathon weekend.

Construction is a major issue right now. You also have a course change this year and it seems they want people to finish as quickly as possible with the earlier start time.

I don’t expect a change in start. Wine and dine 5K used the normal marathon start and I fully expect the finish they used for wine and dine weekend to stay the same for marathon weekend.

So why reduce the field then?

Reducing the field isn't going to make the race finish sooner unless they plan on having like 3 huge corrals. And at that point you might be saving like 20-30 minutes. The slowest person is still going to be the slowest person regardless of the field size.

Reducing the field isn't going to make the race finish sooner unless they plan on having like 3 huge corrals. And at that point you might be saving like 20-30 minutes. The slowest person is still going to be the slowest person regardless of the field size.

Right. This doesn’t take pace into consideration at all. Unless they plan on speeding up the balloon ladies...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter