Marathon Weekend 2020

Here’s another ap question. Does it have to be activated? Or is the voucher okay?

As @MissLiss279 mentioned, you can although you may have to call the AP phone number ahead of time. I have an AP voucher (not yet activated) and called to have them push some button in their system so that I could get fast passes for an upcoming trip. I was able to register for the W&D half marathon yesterday during the early signup.

You should be able to tell today if your APs are in the system by signing in to the main Disney World page (disneyworld.disney.go.com), signing in, and them clicking on My Disney Experience. At the very bottom of the drop down menu you should see "Annual Passholder Types, Benefits, and Discount". If your APs are in the system you should be able to follow the next few links and be able to register today for the W&D races.

So...this all got hashed out in another thread where I asked for and received some great advice and then had to come to a tough decision for myself. I'm going to bow out of my plans for the 2020 marathon weekend, as I want to take more time and get a couple of half marathons under my belt before tackling the WDW marathon (which will still be my first marathon and my first runDisney event). I'm planning to hit it in 2021 for WDW's 50th instead now. I'll probably still lurk in this thread this year, though!

As @MissLiss279 mentioned, you can although you may have to call the AP phone number ahead of time. I have an AP voucher (not yet activated) and called to have them push some button in their system so that I could get fast passes for an upcoming trip. I was able to register for the W&D half marathon yesterday during the early signup.

You should be able to tell today if your APs are in the system by signing in to the main Disney World page (disneyworld.disney.go.com), signing in, and them clicking on My Disney Experience. At the very bottom of the drop down menu you should see "Annual Passholder Types, Benefits, and Discount". If your APs are in the system you should be able to follow the next few links and be able to register today for the W&D races.
Good point. I’m not sure if they needed to do something in order to allow fastpasses or access benefits. I upgraded an old ticket a few weeks ago to an AP. I had already made fastpasses for Star Wars Race Weekend, and I had asked to make sure it wouldn’t void my fastpasses before I did that, and they told me I would be fine. And then I also registered for Wine & Dine yesterday with no issues. :)

So...this all got hashed out in another thread where I asked for and received some great advice and then had to come to a tough decision for myself. I'm going to bow out of my plans for the 2020 marathon weekend, as I want to take more time and get a couple of half marathons under my belt before tackling the WDW marathon (which will still be my first marathon and my first runDisney event). I'm planning to hit it in 2021 for WDW's 50th instead now. I'll probably still lurk in this thread this year, though!

I think you made the right call. Just because something is possible (running the full this January) does not imply you should. You have a greater chance of having a wonderful first marathon experience if you are confident and respectful of the distance by having run several half's.

Hi everyone! One of my running partners just told me she can’t make it for the 2020 marathon weekend, her daughter is getting married so she can’t fit it into her budget.

I have another friend that might go. I don’t mind going alone, I just like the savings from splitting room costs.

I love FoP but I picked Pirates.
If we're talking Disney World only, Flight of Passage in a landslide and it's not even close. In this west coaster's opinion, Disney World does not have Pirates of the Caribbean. Instead it has a Navi River Journey length boat ride that features periodic show scenes with pirates. In fact, for those who have never been to Disneyland, there are many scenes in the POTC movies that are nowhere to be found in Florida, but are all taken directly from the 15 minute long attraction in Disneyland. I voted for Pirates because I love the Disneyland version.

Tiki Room under new management
I'm still convinced that fire was started by the tiki gods getting angry over what the new management did.

4. Are you people sadists?!
Well, some of my non runner friends called Dopey 2019 my "death trip."

The submarine voyage at DL was not 20k leagues themed?
Random fun fact: When the Submarine Voyage opened in 1959, Walt Disney owned the 3rd largest submarine fleet in the entire world.

Before my time, they actually had real live mermaids! I’m not sure if it was a promotional thing, or a regular feature.
It more or less ended because some guests would jump into the water and try to swim out to the mermaids. The interviews with the mermaids are interesting.

Had my first Dopey nightmare last night! Hoping theres not many more of those!
I had a few strange ones. Not really nightmares per se, but strange running dreams.

Does anyone know if being a Disneyland AP holder allows me to register during AP registration for marathon weekend or is that just for WDW AP holders?
I used my Disneyland AP to register for 2017 Dark Side.

Here’s another ap question. Does it have to be activated? Or is the voucher okay?
I know for FP+, having purchased the park tickets and linking it to your MDE is sufficient.

I'm planning to hit it in 2021 for WDW's 50th instead now. I'll probably still lurk in this thread this year, though!
Lurk away and please don't be afraid to ask questions. This community is a major reason why I even decided to attempt the marathon, but far more importantly, this community helped me learn things that directly helped me finish and truly enjoy the marathon, challenges and all. One runner shared her unsuccessful first attempt at a marathon with me and I can truly say that her experience helped me make peace with signing up even though I knew failure could happen. It had been years since I entered a race knowing that I might actually fail.

I think you made the right call. Just because something is possible (running the full this January) does not imply you should. You have a greater chance of having a wonderful first marathon experience if you are confident and respectful of the distance by having run several half's.
I've shared this many times around here, but it took me years to actually want to run a marathon. In my case, various runDisney experiences over the years helped break down the mental barriers that kept me from ever wanting to even run a marathon. While I started running in 2011, I didn't run consistently until 2014 and didn't even seriously consider the marathon (and Dopey) until 2018. I think I shared this in @YawningDodo thread, but I'll share it again here. Having multiple half marathons under my belt made a huge difference in the marathon for me. I could draw on past experience in the race itself, but for me it was probably even more important that I was able to learn from my experiences in the half marathon. Long story short, I made a lot of small mistakes in earlier half marathons that could have ruined my marathon, but because I learned from them, including some I didn't even know I was making until well into marathon training, I was better able to prepare myself for the marathon itself.

If we're talking Disney World only, Flight of Passage in a landslide and it's not even close. In this west coaster's opinion, Disney World does not have Pirates of the Caribbean. Instead it has a Navi River Journey length boat ride that features periodic show scenes with pirates. In fact, for those who have never been to Disneyland, there are many scenes in the POTC movies that are nowhere to be found in Florida, but are all taken directly from the 15 minute long attraction in Disneyland. I voted for Pirates because I love the Disneyland version.
I haven’t been to Disneyland yet but I think calling it equivalent NRJ is a major stretch and I love Pandora. Disneyland and WDW’s Pirates are not meant to be equivalent either. If we get down too it Shanghai has the best Pirates ;)

I haven’t been to Disneyland yet but I think calling it equivalent NRJ is a major stretch and I love Pandora. Disneyland and WDW’s Pirates are not meant to be equivalent either. If we get down too it Shanghai has the best Pirates ;)

Random story...Pirates was my favorite ride at DL until my family and I were stuck on it for 50 minutes! We were right by the pirate sitting in the mud with the pig. We were one of the last boats to be evacuated and it involved a cast member wearing chest waders pushing our boat back to a place where we could get out of it. My son had only been potty trained for about three months at the time and I was scared the whole time we were stuck that he was going to announce he had to go to the bathroom. When we emerged from underground we were actually no longer in the park. All the cast members directing us back kept telling us will get you back in the park real fast. And it was about a 10 minute walk until we magically emerged through a door in New Orleans Square. After that incident it took my son about three years before we could get him back on Pirates. My knows-no-fear daughter on the other hand wanted to go on it the next day!

Last edited:
Just got out of Captain Marvel aaaaand now I know what I want to wear for the marathon. I hope they come out with pre-printed tech shirts like they have for Captain America for instance.

Just checked and they have some on Amazon, long and short sleeve. If they are of similar quality to the super hero shirts I’ve ordered, you’ll definitely want a base layer underneath for anything under 50 degrees because they’re very thin. Fun shirts though!

Good morning runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney I’m drowning my sorrows in Splash Mountain not making the Elite 8.

Four really interesting showdowns remain. Two battles of classic Magic Kingdom attractions, a roller coaster throwdown and a clash between the titans of Hollywood Studios.

How will you vote? Who goes onto the Final 4?

My picks: Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space and ToT.

Have a great week, everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter