• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

(I have two of your plans that I am tweaking based on current fitness level, but am starting with a 6 week hr based plan on my treadmill)

Just make sure to realize I wrote the plan based on fitness and duration. So if your fitness has changed, then it means you'll take longer to run certain distances. Which means the total duration of the plan increases. So be sure to edit down the total mileage of the plan as well. Cut some intervals down (like instead of 5 x 1 miles at T pace, do 4 x 1 mile or 5 x 0.75 miles instead). All the plans I write are based on time. So I write the plan as 100 min here, 5 x 10 min intervals, 8 x 2 min intervals, 60 min sustained, etc. But then when I deliver it, I change everything into mileage to make it easier for the user. It does sound like though that's the case.

Ah, alright that make sense. The marathon has seen a wide range of temps in just the last few years, so who knows what will end up like. I really like it best because since it starts so early it means a majority of the race with me is before the sun rises and thus guaranteed to not be in the sun.

So I think there's definitely some confusion based on those conclusions. That was a very brief summary of the much more in-depth and explained review I did here:

Ian Williams: An Updated Race Equivalency Calculator Attempt

So read that one and it may answer some of your questions. But to address the immediate concern, no, you don't need to be doing 63 miles per week. That value in their conclusions comes from this statement:

-Has a 5L% of 9-11%. So if you do 100 miles as 5L (or five 20 milers), then you better be doing 1000 miles in the 16 weeks of training (or 63 miles per week on average). The more you diverge from this, the worse your HM conversion becomes. Although, you can still be successful at a lower 5L like 60 miles if the 5L% is still in the 9-11% range (or 600 miles total and 38 miles per week) as long as that duration is over 5-5.5 hours for your paces.

"5L" is your 5 longest runs in the entire 16 weeks leading up to the marathon. So let's say you did a classic 3x 20 miler, a 19 miler, and 18 miler. That means your 5 longest runs are 20+20+20+19+18 = 97 miles. The data they generated suggested that those who are the best converters are those who have a 5L as a percentage of the total training done during the 16 weeks around 9-11%. So essentially, how much of your total training you did in the 16 weeks leading up to the marathon was encompassed in those 5 longest training runs?

Let's say you did 600 miles in those 16 weeks. That would come out to 37.5 miles per week (600/16=37.5). Then the 5L of 97 miles (from the classic 3x 20 miler, a 19 miler, and 18 miler) divided by 600 miles total in training is 16% (97/600=16%). Their data suggested that 9-11% was optimal for conversion, and thus 16% would be outside that range. So let's say you were dead-set on getting in those 3x 20 milers, 19 miler, and 18 miler. How many miles in 16 weeks would it take to get it to fall in the 9-11% range of the totality of training?

97/0.09 = 1077 miles; Over 16 weeks that would be an average of 67.3 miles per week
97/0.11 = 881.8 miles; Over 16 weeks that would be an average of 55 miles per week

What's the punchline of this particular conclusion? Don't focus on the long run. Focus on balance throughout the entire week and training plan.

My school of thought is use current fitness relative pacing and duration of workouts to determine what to do on each day of a training plan. The mileage of a training plan is simply a function of those two variables.

You recently ran a 10k at 1:12:34. For the sake of argument, let's say that race is reflective of your current fitness level. Here is a race equivalency chart:

View attachment 395116

Here are training continuous runner training paces for someone at that fitness profile:

View attachment 395115

Approximately 80% of all training would be at a 13:53 min/mile or slower (roughly 50% at 14:16 min/mile or slower). That would be about a 4.3 mph on a treadmill.

View attachment 395117

For someone who run/walks, this would be my suggested starting point for run/walk durations and pacing. These are based on your 3.5 mph jog pace referenced earlier, although I tend to suggest what feels like a comfortable walk instead. In the case of run/walk, about 80% of training would be at Easy/LR.

So using these paces, to get to 5.5 hours of training would be about 23 miles per week. A peak LR at 150 would be 10.8 miles for continuous runner or 12.2 miles for run/walker.

This was awesome! Thank you so much! I think I get it after this and thank you for explaining the 5L.

Goals:
  • Arrive at the start line healthy. This has been my biggest issue in the last few years
  • 5-K/10-K - Enjoy them with my two DDs and get them to want to come back every year to do it together again
  • Win lottery to pay for goal above
  • HM/Marathon - Just finish feeling good so I can claim my first Dopey (Secret goal - HM under 2:30 and full under 4:45)
  • Not let the crowded parts on the course impact my attitude

I have a question for you. Do you do most of your training on a treadmill? I only ask because I will have to do the majority of mine on one and from what I read it's not advisable but it's the best I can do. So was wondering if there are others like me with more than 75% of running on treadmill.

I've been very limited during the work week with where/when I can run which means I wind up doing a lot more runs on the treadmill than I'd like. On the weekends I do almost all my long runs outside. It's not ideal, but if the option is treadmill or not running, I choose treadmill.

Just make sure to realize I wrote the plan based on fitness and duration. So if your fitness has changed, then it means you'll take longer to run certain distances. Which means the total duration of the plan increases. So be sure to edit down the total mileage of the plan as well. Cut some intervals down (like instead of 5 x 1 miles at T pace, do 4 x 1 mile or 5 x 0.75 miles instead). All the plans I write are based on time. So I write the plan as 100 min here, 5 x 10 min intervals, 8 x 2 min intervals, 60 min sustained, etc. But then when I deliver it, I change everything into mileage to make it easier for the user. It does sound like though that's the case.
I'll make those adjustments once I come out of the initial training. Right now I seem to be hitting my 90% heart rate pretty close to the "speed" interval that you set. my biggest issues is I'm having to go much slower than I'd like to keep my heart rate under the 77% max level that this plan recommends.

Hi there!
First time poster and first time runDisney-er here :)

DH registered himself for the marathon and registered me for the 10k. We are very excited!

Goal:
It’ll be my first 10k, so really goal is to finish it. But my secret-ish goal is around 70minutes (I am not fast). But then there’s the whole stop and get at least one character picture goal so the time goal sort of goes out the window...

Any tips on character pictures? Are there any characters you normally see along the race? Who is your “must stop” for?

Looking forward to following along with others’ training and excitement leading up to January!

i wish they would put some picture of the pre-order jackets...I presume it will have a logo of the style of the logo on the current registration website, kind of funky
They did put out an image for 2019 but it was later so I would expect them to do so again.

I'll make those adjustments once I come out of the initial training. Right now I seem to be hitting my 90% heart rate pretty close to the "speed" interval that you set. my biggest issues is I'm having to go much slower than I'd like to keep my heart rate under the 77% max level that this plan recommends.

Just be patient. It's hard, I know. I've been on the come back trail a few times. It usually takes equal time off to equal time return. I think I've shared this graph before:

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 1.38.31 PM.png

But it shows how much fitness is lost based on the # of days off from running (either completely or when doing a replacement leg aerobic exercise instead). But I can attest than in short order (relatively speaking), it'll come back. Here's a chart from my own data to show the comeback:

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 1.47.18 PM.png

The red and blue lines were coming back from 2-4 weeks off from running. The green line is current and me coming back from 19 weeks off running (albeit I was putting in about 10-11 hours of strength+cycling training). But even after 56 days, I've still got a ways to go and the return has been much slower than when I had a much shorter time period off. And that's with having put in about 13.5-14.5 hours of training per week the last 8 weeks. But keep staying at low/easy effort and things will continue to improve.

I have a question for you. Do you do most of your training on a treadmill? I only ask because I will have to do the majority of mine on one and from what I read it's not advisable but it's the best I can do. So was wondering if there are others like me with more than 75% of running on treadmill.
I do a lot of my training on a treadmill. Spring allergies keep me inside and I'm a wimp when it's too cold, rainy or snowing. Do what works for you!

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but if someone were in the fence about signing up for their first marathon....what training plans did you all use? And what was your longest run, # of long runs, length of training cycle?

I’ve got some big work stuff, so was hesitant to add marathon training to that.....but #FOMO.

I've used a few plans - and a lot of it is what you have going on in your life and how much time (and how frequently) can you train.

I've used the "Run Less Run Faster" full plan for the majority of my marathons. It's challenging with the paces you need to hit, but the basis is that 3 quality runs a week (interval, tempo and long) with cross training on other days can help prevent fatigue on your body, etc. The kicker is that you're talking up to 10 mile long tempo runs during the middle of the week. No matter how fast I run (and I'm around the 10 minute tempo pace, maybe a little less), i don't want to put that time in during the week with working full time and a young kid in the house. I've done it before, it's a lot of evenings of long runs. Weekend runs are (I think) three 20 or 21 milers.

I'm currently using a heart rate based program which is 5 days a week of running, but max of 60 minutes during the week and then a long run on the weekends (two 20 milers). It's a lot more gentle on my body, I can get the runs done in the morning by waking up at 4am...but I'm a lot slower. but, my body felt better through the training cycle.

Just my .02. I want to get back to RLRF here next year. I've been doing HR both from a schedule perspective and I was off my running base for a year or so...

I do a majority of training on a teadmill and it has faired me well. From what I read it is neither advisable nor unadvisable....as long as you raise your incline to at least 1% to mimic outside effort then you are running ok. Yes outside running is sometimes tougher on feet so you need that experience as well, but for cardio the treadmil is great. I dont run outside because I fear getting run over since have few sidewalks and it gets super hot here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter