Marathon Weekend 2020

The spectator viewing policy is a bit different for two of our four Event Weekends, Star Wars Rival Run Weekend and Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend. During these Event Weekends, races start at Magic Kingdom Park and finish at Epcot. Due to the route we are unable to have spectators along the course. However, please know the sideline spectator viewing remains an option for Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend and Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend.

Sincerely,

I call BS. The marathon runs mostly the same back half as these other two. If it works for one, there is no reason it can't work for the others.

I call BS. The marathon runs mostly the same back half as these other two. If it works for one, there is no reason it can't work for the others.

Well, you'll note she only says will offer sideline spectator viewing but not specific locations, so it's quite possible that they will still allow some locations for sideline viewing but maybe prohibit it from the shared portions of those routes. So, they might still allow it along the Boardwalk or in WWoS but restrict it along Osceola for example. I guess we'll know when we get closer to Marathon Weekend.

Chances the marathon sells out anytime soon? I’m going to Vegas in 2 weeks and don’t want to spend the extra right now but don’t want to miss on registering for it. I did it last year and remember spots still open in the fall

Dear Gisele,

I truly apologize for the miscommunication regarding our current spectator policies.

The spectator viewing policy is a bit different for two of our four Event Weekends, Star Wars Rival Run Weekend and Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend. During these Event Weekends, races start at Magic Kingdom Park and finish at Epcot. Due to the route we are unable to have spectators along the course. However, please know the sideline spectator viewing remains an option for Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend and Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend.

We appreciate you taking some time to share your thoughts. I’ll be sure to share your comments with runDisney Leaders, as we are always looking for ways to make our race experiences better. Furthermore, in the spirit of constantly evaluating our operation, please know that you will receive a survey invitation in the next 24 hours regarding the service you received today and I would value knowing your feedback.

Gisele, I hope this information is helpful, and we hope to have an opportunity to cheer you on in one of our runDisney events.

Sincerely,
Well, you'll note she only says will offer sideline spectator viewing but not specific locations, so it's quite possible that they will still allow some locations for sideline viewing but maybe prohibit it from the shared portions of those routes. So, they might still allow it along the Boardwalk or in WWoS but restrict it along Osceola for example. I guess we'll know when we get closer to Marathon Weekend.
Exactly what I saw at SW: Osceola and the park entrances seemed to be semi-restricted, (and Bear Island Rd has never had much spectator action - it's hard to get to and dark, to boot), but BW had plenty cheering. And as I said a few pages back, I've seen spectators nearly get hit by cars on Osceola and Floridian Way, so it wouldn't surprise me if they try to restrict spectating there. I can see how spectating at the park entrances/parking lots can become problematic, especially when SWGE opens, and there have been reports of park guests complaining about spectator signs they found offensive, so I imagine that's part of it, too. I stand by my thought that someone standing in EP clapping as runners go by isn't likely to be viewed as a "problem," but a crowd of 30 at the AK gate might.

Exactly what I saw at SW: Osceola and the park entrances seemed to be semi-restricted, (and Bear Island Rd has never had much spectator action - it's hard to get to and dark, to boot), but BW had plenty cheering. And as I said a few pages back, I've seen spectators nearly get hit by cars on Osceola and Floridian Way, so it wouldn't surprise me if they try to restrict spectating there. I can see how spectating at the park entrances/parking lots can become problematic, especially when SWGE opens, and there have been reports of park guests complaining about spectator signs they found offensive, so I imagine that's part of it, too. I stand by my thought that someone standing in EP clapping as runners go by isn't likely to be viewed as a "problem," but a crowd of 30 at the AK gate might.
Does this mean no more marching bands though? I love that so much and actually look forward to it! Are they spectators or official entertainment?

Chances the marathon sells out anytime soon? I’m going to Vegas in 2 weeks and don’t want to spend the extra right now but don’t want to miss on registering for it. I did it last year and remember spots still open in the fall

Virtually none, if you're only interested in the marathon. Usually the marathon is available well into the fall (or later).

Does this mean no more marching bands though? I love that so much and actually look forward to it! Are they spectators or official entertainment?
Marching bands don't just randomly show up like spectators - they coordinate with WDW and are assigned a place on the course. So long as there are bands wanting to perform, I can't see any reason why rD wouldn't allow them to!

We are in for the 10K and half marathon! I had two windows going and safari worked first, but took several minutes after registration opened. Very stressful to register so quickly - both our college-age sons are able to join us (a rare event!!) my husband is running, and with @mateojr, that's five 10K registrations! Added the half marathon for our oldest and for me. :)

That 6.6% has to be the most egregious money grab of any race registration site. I have never paid that much to enter any race before.
I've done races that have been higher. I have also done races that have none, those are the best!

Disney raised it this year to 6.6%. In the past it had been 6%.
It's always been 6.6% with Run Disney handling it. That's even what Active was.

Will more 5k and 10k spots be released for general registration? Just logged in to the early registration page (DVC/AP holder) and those races were already sold out. Thanks!

Will more 5k and 10k spots be released for general registration? Just logged in to the early registration page (DVC/AP holder) and those races were already sold out. Thanks!

RunDisney only releases a small portion of the total bibs for early registration. There will be a lot more available when general registration opens. Just keep in mind that there will be a lot more people registering then and the 5k and 10k have the smallest fields of the 4 races.

RunDisney only releases a small portion of the total bibs for early registration. There will be a lot more available when general registration opens. Just keep in mind that there will be a lot more people registering then and the 5k and 10k have the smallest fields of the 4 races.

Thanks for replying! I will set a reminder to register right at opening. Who would have thought a running event would sell out faster than a Beyoncé concert?

My husband and his two friends are doing the Dopey. Should he register ASAP too? Thanks.

So wishing that it would make sense to try again for Dopey, but we have already planned a family trip the week before Marathon weekend. So far, I ran Dopey the year the half was cancelled, so it doesn’t feel “official “ as I was not able to run the half around the resort because the in room babysitting was cancelled when the half was cancelled. Then the next year I tried again and had a wicked case of plantar fasciitis that was so bad I was only able to do the 5K and 10K. I have an AP now that we got during Princess weekend, so it’s so hard not to register. I am doing the W&D half, so it’s not a total loss. But a true Dopey still eludes me!

Thanks for replying! I will set a reminder to register right at opening. Who would have thought a running event would sell out faster than a Beyoncé concert?

My husband and his two friends are doing the Dopey. Should he register ASAP too? Thanks.

Dopey did not sell out last year and isn’t in any type of anniversary, so it should stay open a little longer. In order of sellout potential I’d say it’s 5k, 10k, Half, Dopey, and then Full/Goofy. Goofy is in an anniversary, which could influence both Dopey and Goofy registrations upward, but I anticipate that things will go much like last year and that Dopey/Goofy/Full will not sell out.

That said, there are no guarantees. Depending on the importance of running the race and their risk tolerance getting things done early might be a good plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter