Marathon Weekend 2020

I've done a bunch of half and full marathons, but I have never done a RunDisney event. I'm a DVC member and I'm thinking about registering for the 2020 Dopey Challenge, but I won't know if I can until Sunday or Monday.

It looks like early registration has closed for some races. Any idea if that will that happen to Dopey?

TIA!

I've done a bunch of half and full marathons, but I have never done a RunDisney event. I'm a DVC member and I'm thinking about registering for the 2020 Dopey Challenge, but I won't know if I can until Sunday or Monday.

It looks like early registration has closed for some races. Any idea if that will that happen to Dopey?

TIA!
Nobody knows as it just depends on if people sign up. There's only limited spots for early registration so if they all get sold before Tuesday it will close. But, then you can just register on Tuesday with regular registration. If you wait till Monday night though they close it off anyway even if not sold out "registration Closes
8:00 PM ET/5:00 PM PT on Monday, April 15, 2019
or until capacity limits are reached"

Congrats to all you registrants!! I'm holding strong so far and not registering for marathon weekend, but it was tough reading all these.

Dear Gisele,

I truly apologize for the miscommunication regarding our current spectator policies.

The spectator viewing policy is a bit different for two of our four Event Weekends, Star Wars Rival Run Weekend and Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend. During these Event Weekends, races start at Magic Kingdom Park and finish at Epcot. Due to the route we are unable to have spectators along the course. However, please know the sideline spectator viewing remains an option for Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend and Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend.

We appreciate you taking some time to share your thoughts. I’ll be sure to share your comments with runDisney Leaders, as we are always looking for ways to make our race experiences better. Furthermore, in the spirit of constantly evaluating our operation, please know that you will receive a survey invitation in the next 24 hours regarding the service you received today and I would value knowing your feedback.

Gisele, I hope this information is helpful, and we hope to have an opportunity to cheer you on in one of our runDisney events.

Sincerely,

To me, this says only the paid spectating locations will be available on-course moving forward. Only Princess and Marathon weekends go through MK and people pay to be in the park for that, right? Everything else is now off limits it seems.

Did security prevent anyone in the AK parking lot from going over and cheering runners on? I know security was at the McDonalds, but haven't heard much about AK, just that it was quiet

To me, this says only the paid spectating locations will be available on-course moving forward. Only Princess and Marathon weekends go through MK and people pay to be in the park for that, right?
No, anyone can enter MK to cheer those races, no payment required.

Did security prevent anyone in the AK parking lot from going over and cheering runners on? I know security was at the McDonalds, but haven't heard much about AK, just that it was quiet
I ran SWRR and didn't find the AK entrance/ parking lot to be any quieter than previous years, TBH. I didn't pay close attention to who was cheering, so maybe it was CMs, maybe it was park Guests, maybe it was folks only there to spectate the race, but there were people there clapping and cheering. I also saw people cheering on Osceola. They didn't have signs, weren't giving out food, but they were clearly not running and were on the side of the road, clapping and cheering.

To me, this says only the paid spectating locations will be available on-course moving forward. Only Princess and Marathon weekends go through MK and people pay to be in the park for that, right? Everything else is now off limits it seems.

They had cones set up on the path from the buses to the park entrance but no spectators. It was still relatively early when I ran through as in just before 7:00. Since it was my first time running this course, I’m not sure how many people are normally there that early in the morning to spectate at AK.

Does anyone remember how long it took for the half to sell out last year? Contemplating half vs. Dopey.

Does anyone remember how long it took for the half to sell out last year? Contemplating half vs. Dopey.

Last year b/c of the weird registration dates is a bad example. They were much later and apparently a hangover year from bad weather and the milestone year in 2018.

Like all other races you might be serious about, registering early insures avoidance of disappointment... There are still a ton of folks wound up to pull the trigger at 10AM day of.

But from what i’ve seen, this year is the first of a new paradigm, the weather was nice last year after a few doozies. So that should drum up some greater interest outside the old guard.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I think I
They had cones set up on the path from the buses to the park entrance but no spectators. It was still relatively early when I ran through as in just before 7:00. Since it was my first time running this course, I’m not sure how many people are normally there that early in the morning to spectate at AK.
got to the AK entrance about the same time as you and it was just a few CMs. Very different from my marathon experiences but of course I always get there much later in the day.

Best I could find was this post stating that it was still open in November 2018 (actually all distances were still available in November):

https://www.disboards.com/threads/marathon-weekend-2019.3655674/page-397#post-59942551
https://www.disboards.com/threads/marathon-weekend-2019.3655674/page-406#post-59960101

I believe TAs and Charities had bibs into December.

But it's hard to say definitively that what happened for 2019's weekend will happen again for 2020.

For Marathon Weekend 2018, looks like at a minimum by end of May the HM was sold out.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/marathon-weekend-2018.3570312/page-106#post-57665750

Well that looks like “Rules is rules, and we ‘ain’t changing much...”

Might I ask what specifically triggered this? I came in a bit behind the initial info/experience that caused the concern. (it’s buried somewhere I’m sure...)
They didn't allow spectators along the course during the SW races.

I believe TAs and Charities had bibs into December.

Disney has changed their policy (shocking I know) about bibs through the official TAs.
Starting with Wine&Dine there are no exchanges transfers or refunds, unlike years before.
I expect we will NOT see the "fire sale" on bibs as we have in the past.

Kinda a bummer that was a great advantage to using a TA.

Somehow I was able to register today even though I'm neither DVC or AP.....and I'm in for DOPEY again! Lord help me.

It appears to be a glitch that has been publicly reported by several people, thereby causing some races (5K and 10K) to sell out very quickly during early registration before some legitimate AP/DVC folks could sign up. I suppose good for you and bad for them, although I'm old school and believe just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I'm also an AP who chose not to mention it on these boards for a few days (and until others had posted it) to give the AP/DVC folks time to register during their "private" window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter