Marathon Weekend 2020

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, I want to know where is your favorite place to get breakfast at WDW?

I’m not a big breakfast eater, but in the past I enjoyed getting an ADR to get into MK early. We’ve done Crystal Palace several times, but I think Cinderella’s Royal Table has been my favorite.

Have a great week, everyone!
SAFD: I love breakfast but don’t usually eat a traditional American or English breakfast unless I am not training and/or out of shape. When I am the the parks I head straight for the junk food/festival items. The only time I can really remember eating breakfast at a Disney property was at DL and it was the buffet at Storytellers. But go figure, I love a buffet.

For those who have stayed off property and driven in (i.e., locals or cash savvy individuals), how did it work for you with driving? How were the roads and did you face any closures? Arriving at 3:30am and hanging out in the car until the long walk to Wonder Lot work out okay?

I'm not sure when rooms will be released for on-property stay. I'm debating staying either at a time share exchange off property (about 15 mins off site) or at the Best Western near Disney Springs. Would love to know from anyone who has done this how it went. I'm not sure that an All Stars or Pop stay is within budget at the moment, even with the costs of splitting a room for five nights.

We generally stay offsite at various places and head out between 3:00 and 3:30 depending on how far we have to go. Plus, I’m always anxious to get there 😊. We have never had a problem.

Started to plan our trip for Marathon Weekend 2020. We are looking to arrive in Orlando a few days before NYE and celebrate the new year in Magic Kingdom and (over)carboload for Dopey ;)

For most of the time, we plan to stay OffSite, save some money. I just checked the OKW and AKL. Would any of these DVC Resorts a good idea to stay over the Marathon Weekend?

For most of the time, we plan to stay OffSite, save some money. I just checked the OKW and AKL. Would any of these DVC Resorts a good idea to stay over the Marathon Weekend?

AKL is a wonderful resort, and a great place to be able to sit and watch the animals on the savanna when you are trying to stay off your feet. Even if you do not have a savanna view room there are lots of places to sit and watch. I loved staying there this past marathon weekend, and would stay there again if finances allowed it. That being said it is an expensive resort and you have to take the bus everyplace you want to go.

Started to plan our trip for Marathon Weekend 2020. We are looking to arrive in Orlando a few days before NYE and celebrate the new year in Magic Kingdom and (over)carboload for Dopey ;)

OKW is a nice resort, especially in a 1 BR (they are huge). I love it there. In 2018 I stayed at AKL--a hotel room, not a DVC unit. I had a standard view room, but had a great view of the Sunset Savannah. I love it there. The theming is spectacular, the restaurants are good, and sitting in the hot tub at sunrise with a coffee listening to the birds and watching the sky change color is one of my favorite memories.

Both resorts are expensive---Disney rooms are wildly overpriced, IMO, but there is DVC availability for 1BR at OKW and if you rent points it would be nicely priced. Also, I got a discounted rate for some of my nights at AKL, but those hotel discounts, if they come, wouldn't be announced til October, generally.

A late SAFD- I love, love, love Disney breakfast. We are big breakfast food people especially at Disney.(at home I rotate oatmeal and yogurt :sad2:)
We have done tons of character breakfast and I love them all. Crystal Palace is a favorite and Tusker House. We tried Garden Grill last trip and that might be my top choice.
Boma and Grand Floridian Cafe were amazing too.
My favorite breakfast was at Roaring forks when they still had Mickey waffles with different toppings. I had Mickey waffles with chocolate chips and whipped cream with shredded hasbrowns(so much better than the chopped potatoes most places have) unfortunately after they refurbed RF they aren’t available.
I have yet to try Kona or California Grill brunch.
I’m hoping next trip to try Plaza breakfast and one other new to us breakfast. Probably whatever TS breakfast is at the resort we pick.

Can I just say that I am so excited to finally book my resort when packages open up June 18th?
I booked a room at Pop for now but am hoping to switch once I have all my options/prices in front of me. I am using credit cards points and they don’t seem to have value resorts available ever. I’m debating between FQ and CBR.
Can’t wait to see where we end up.

I have a question for anyone who does multiple races throughout the year.
I am currently doing the JEFF Galloway half plan and started a few weeks ago because I signed up for a local half Sept. 14.
What should my training look like between Sept- Jan? I don’t want to really drop back down to begin all over again. I am doing the half In Jan.

I am currently doing the JEFF Galloway half plan and started a few weeks ago because I signed up for a local half Sept. 14.
What should my training look like between Sept- Jan? I don’t want to really drop back down to begin all over again. I am doing the half In Jan.
I have been running for decades and I would drop back to 8 miles on my long run - but that is my long run distance even when not training for a race. Not sure exactly what would work best for you. Depending on your experience at running this distance, my advice would be to cut back on the long runs some and build them back up for the half in January, but keep up the regular weekly runs as if you are in the final stages of training.

You don't need to drop all the way back to low mileage, but I wouldn't stay at 12-15 mile long runs the entire time unless you have been running for many years. I get that the long run is the most difficult to build, but that is for a reason. It is more demanding, and you don't want to risk an injury with a race so near on the horizon.

Sundays are for Disney: what have been your favorite or most memorable character meet and greet experiences? These could be typical meet and greets or ones during a race.

A few that stand out for me:

- the princesses at Cinderella’s Royal Table. This was the very first thing we did on our very first family Disney trip. So it was my wife and daughters’ introduction to Disney.

- Mike and Sulley. My first character stop during a race.

- Goofy and Dopey. Post-2019 marathon. Commemorating my first Dopey Challenge.

Some that stand out for me:
When I was about 6, we were at Disneyland on a cold day and my parents made me wear a long stocking cap. Captain Hook kept pulling it down over my eyes. I'd pull it back up and he'd do it again. Must have been about 5 or 6 times.

When my youngest daughter was 1, we had breakfast at Cinderella's for my older daughter, but my youngest wanted nothing to do with characters the whole trip. Then we had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. At one point, Pooh came over to us. She turned and looked and nearly launched herself out of her high chair to give him the biggest hug.

On one trip, we had breakfast at Akershus. It was right after the first Pirates movie came out and my oldest daughter wanted to dress as Elizabeth Turner. Then she almost didn't wear it because she didn't think anyone would recognize her. So as we were walking around World Showcase to Norway, a cast member walking by didn't even slow down and said Good morning, Miss Turner. It made her day.

At the Halloween Party at MK, my youngest dressed up as Cruella. So we went to meet Cruella and when it was my daughter's turn, Cruella saw her and yelled out the biggest "Dah-ling!" and spend a long time talking with her and then did several poses with her.

A week or so before Wine and Dine 2018, I broke my middle finger in two places. My orthopedic had me in this splint that held my three of my fingers together...ugh, it was a thing. Anyway, I love Stitch and had to stop for a photo when I saw Elvis Stitch (also my first ever character stop during a race). Stitch kissed my broken finger! It was so sweet!

SAFD: I found a ton of memorable ones going back through my photos, sorry for the photo dump.
3B0903D1-596C-4E35-95CC-EDA5188C34A0.jpeg
The one that started it all. This was in MK the day after my first race, the WDW Half, in January 2012. One of the primary reasons I agreed to it was because I hadn’t been to Disney since the 90’s and wanted to go for my nephew’s first trip. An addiction was born.
C6BC9659-A830-4376-9928-F14388935128.jpeg
B3263C63-72E9-49A1-BD38-4AE8AA3F4E48.jpeg
Those were both from 2016. We stopped for a bunch of pics during the Half and those were a couple of my favorites.
8655BEF9-1006-4C00-A2A5-333330BC8BF9.jpeg
This was a very rainy and cold day at MK before Marathon Weekend 2018. I enjoyed watching Gaston while waiting for my niece and nephew to get their chance. Just the right amount of arrogant and insulting. His interactions with everyone were pitch perfect. Without prompt he noted that my niece clearly favored another princess than his beloved Belle and wondered how this “Anna” could ever compete.
85940AA2-FCD6-4CE0-802F-3D895D0763FF.jpeg
I’ve posted this one before (actually I’ve probably posted all of these before), but I just love it. From MNSSHP last year.
A6FF2AF1-FB30-4E4F-894C-E1245D051200.jpeg
And from Marathon Weekend this year, this Launchpad was really amazing with his interactions as well. First taunting me over our height difference and later admiring my beard.

I tried to load a couple other, but they were loading sideways. Anyway, it was a few years before I really gave into the magic and suspension of disbelief that meeting characters requires, but I’m definitely there now. It’s only as much fun as you allow it to be.

Sundays are for Disney: what have been your favorite or most memorable character meet and greet experiences? These could be typical meet and greets or ones during a race.

A few that stand out for me:

- the princesses at Cinderella’s Royal Table. This was the very first thing we did on our very first family Disney trip. So it was my wife and daughters’ introduction to Disney.

- Mike and Sulley. My first character stop during a race.

- Goofy and Dopey. Post-2019 marathon. Commemorating my first Dopey Challenge.

During an adult-only trip to marathon in 2016, my mom, my youngest sister and I had dinner at Park Fare. Of course, Lady Tremaine and her two daughters were there. They LOVED the fact that we "left our other sister at home" to clean (she did house cleaning at the time). It was HUGELY entertaining! They took everything "normal" that we said and turned it into a sister-problem that they could identify with in terms of Cinderella. Hilarious.

My favorite race meet and greets are Minnie and Mickey at 4:30 am in the morning in the pre-corral areas. That is just special. They are always so excited to be there! Gminnie mickey (2).pngives me a pre-race boost to get my picture made with them.

SAFD: Two Chip and Dale interactions 20+ years apart. The first was watching my grandmother interact with them in 1990. The second was after the half marathon in January 2018 when they ran a race to prove which was faster during my photo with them. The photopass photographer got it all on film, and while I put the photos in my event book I didn't buy the e-copy.

At Disneyland Paris Eeyore had never seen a phone case with Eeyore on it, so had to examine the phone and took a "selfie" with it....of just his eye. The photo loaded sideways so I didn't post it.

Sundays are for Disney: what have been your favorite or most memorable character meet and greet experiences?

I’m not one to do character meet and greets. I’ll generally let DW or the kids do them while I take pictures. The most memorable, though, has to be one at DL with a particularly forceful and in character Darth Vader.

All started well with him suitably intimidating DW:
5D134944-9D38-483B-88E9-1E9A20228188.jpeg

Then things went a little sideways (yes, I typed that before I attached the photos) as I was summoned for a photograph by an insistent Sith who wouldn’t take no for an answer!
BABBFAB5-DAB9-4839-A94F-344C17329E0D.jpeg

Not sure why the photos aren’t posting in the right orientation. Sorry!

This is a great question. The goal of a training cycle is to prepare you for the "A" race at the end. It's also an added desire for most that you get better with consecutive training cycles. A common concern with an ending training cycle leading into the next one is a loss of fitness. But the research available shows that the recovery coming after a training cycle is important, and that your loss of fitness is little to nothing if you do it right. You also want to consider that you want the peak to occur in January and not Nov/Dec if you jump into training too quickly.

Here are the key considerations:

1) Possible loss of fitness. According to Jack Daniels research, the decay rate of VO2max fitness is 0.003% per day starting after 5 days. So let's say you could run a 30 min 5k. If you took off for 5 days, you'd still have the "VO2max fitness equivalent" of a 30 min 5k. A 6th day off would mean you could run a 30:05. So you lost about 5 seconds of fitness from taking 6 days completely off from running. So generally, my recommendation is to take off about 1 day for every 3k of "A" racing (or the end of a training cycle). This means after a HM (21k) you'd take off for 7 days (no running). This allows the body to recover and prepare for the next training cycle. Additionally, the loss of fitness is minimal as seen in the example above. Here's the Daniels graph for reference:

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 8.29.13 AM.png

So of course, there is a difference between a "loss of fitness" and the "ability to race". While you might have minimally lost fitness, you will likely have lost your peak. So you may take 7 days off from running, but you might need about 7-14 days to get back to where you were physically. But since the gap in time is from Sept to Jan, that's no big deal at all. As you don't need to be ready to "A" race the next HM in October, but rather January. So don't worry about taking some time off after the training cycle. It's actually more beneficial to the overall journey to do so.

2) Avoiding stagnation and aiming the peak correctly towards January. The second key consideration is that it's important to allow the training load to drop. Doing so allows you to be in a stage of building key fitness late in the training cycle and not peaking too quickly. If you choose not to take time off and jump right back into training in September, then you'll want to be sure that you're prepared to take the training load higher in the second training cycle (Sept-Jan) than you did in the first. Otherwise, you'll find that towards the end of the second training cycle you may just be grinding yourself down (some people refer to this as a feeling of burnout).

I think this post I made earlier might be helpful as it discusses what happens when you stack training cycles when considering load and peaking:

Training Load Calculations (What happens when the next cycle starts?): Part 3

So my suggestion is to take some time off after the HM in Sept (you won't lose as much fitness as you think), and second to allow the training load to drop after the first training cycle. If you plan to go back into the exact same training plan, then you'll want to allow that drop so you don't peak too soon. If you plan to do a new training plan that has slightly more miles added to it, then you can reduce the amount you need to pull back because you intend to push the training cycle higher. Something like this:

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 8.38.50 AM.png

This is my 2019 training cycle graph. The first section is training cycle #1. Then starting in mid-June, I'm taking time off to allow my body to recover. Then, I jump back into training for my January marathon. If I did the same training cycle, then you can see I'd hit the same max training load somewhere in October. Then October through January would be me just grinding the gears. But in training cycle #2, I'm attempting to take the overall training load slightly higher. Which means the peak is now aimed for January even with taking those 2-3 weeks off in June.

Hope that helps and let me know if anything needs an additional explanation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter