Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: I am tapering for Chicago. Training has not gone well for a variety of reasons, but I'll get it done one way or another. I had high hopes of PRing early in the training plan, but with the way things have gone, my priorities have shifted to just having fun.

I'm going to take a 2 week break after Chicago before I jump into Goofy training.

I kind of feel like I've been training for Dopey since May. In reality, I was training for a 5K in June and a Half earlier this month so everything dovetailed together. I tend to define training by what the big race is even if I have other important races along the way.

The race is still far off though so mentally I'm not so into it.
That's been my big hurdle right now. Work is very high stress right now too so I know that's playing into my mental state right now. Basically, running is currently a source of stress in my life because it either cuts into necessary sleep or free time that is a precious commodity given the hours I need to work. Thankfully, coach really dialed back my training for the next two weeks.

Hoping to get my mind back on track for the marathon after work quiets down.

SAFD: I suppose I haven't technically started training for Dopey but, I have been training seriously for other long races since May. Most years, however, I have not really started marathon training until August. It will be interesting to see if I end up at the start line feeling stronger than past years or completely burnt out! It has been a slow lead up and I have a fair amount of time between long races, but I am definitely challenging myself this year. With Disney races, I am not terribly worried about time, I just want to finish. Similarly, I plan on spending a lot of time in the parks regardless of races, eating a lot of unhealthy food, and probably not getting a lot of sleep. I am looking at this marathon weekend as a sort of celebration of a year of hard running, as well as celebrating the year of running to come.

SAFD: Training for the half. Using the Galloway half plan I modified. Long plan slowly building up. Not missed a run yet. Slower pace than I’d like but maybe with cooler weather coming it will be better. Started adding in some strength training today. I’ve been on/off with that but I hope to be more consistent.

SAFD: Training is going well. It’s taper time for me. My goal race is in two weeks. It’s been a hard summer or training with the heat and humidity. Even though I adjusted paces for weather, they still seemed hard. It’s hard to know if it is just the heat really affecting me or if the paces are too fast. I don’t know how the race will go, but I’m hoping for good weather!
Two weeks after my goal race is MCM 50k, then W&D 5k and half. Then I plan to pick up an old DopeyBadger plan and bridge that into Dopey (with a late November marathon). All races after this first one are planned to be at easy paces!

Anyone else anxiously waiting to see if hotel discounts get released this morning?

We’re booked at Bc with a rack rate - so fingers are crossed for some decent discounts!
We are booked at Pop with a group rate and I doubt we will find a better deal but I am super excited that they released discounted park tickets for Canadian... It is a good sign for everyone hoping for discounts.

SAFD: Training going well. Got my second long run in before NYC in one month. Running a local half in two weeks. Plan to take that easy running with some slower running friends, then do a longer run the next day as a mini Dopey test.

Would love if they extended the after noon tickets into January. I wouldn't feel like missing out if I rested after the race before heading to the parks.

I switched from the 10k to the half a couple weeks ago. Training isn’t going well. The summer heat made me lazy. My POT from a June 10k is 11 seconds short of the next corral (if they don’t change things) so I’m going to attempt to get a better one on Saturday. Considering I haven’t ran more than a 5k since June 2, I’m not optimistic. But the course is supposedly really flat along a paved jogging trail, so hopefully that will help.

Does anyone who has attended Marathon Weekend before, preferably doing more than one race, have any experience with staying out late the night before a race?

I've attended many Marathon Weekends and so far I've been diligent about getting to bed nice and early, but there's some after hours events happening during marathon weekend this year and I'm trying to decide if disrupting my sleep schedule is worth it and how much of an impact on my running it will have. Has anyone here run with little to no sleep during the weekend before?

Does anyone who has attended Marathon Weekend before, preferably doing more than one race, have any experience with staying out late the night before a race?

I've attended many Marathon Weekends and so far I've been diligent about getting to bed nice and early, but there's some after hours events happening during marathon weekend this year and I'm trying to decide if disrupting my sleep schedule is worth it and how much of an impact on my running it will have. Has anyone here run with little to no sleep during the weekend before?
I usually don’t stay out much later than 8PM.
For wine and dine this year I will be doing a Halloween party before the 10K this year.

I ran Dopey this past January and attended the After Hours event at Hollywood Studios the night before the marathon. I think I was in bed by midnight and up at 2:30am. The lack of sleep didn't really affect my running but I definitely needed to nap after the marathon. 5 hours is still considered a nap, right? :rotfl2:
I had a great time at the event and during the marathon and don't regret it.

SAFD:
Training started a few weeks ago as I'm starting my half marathon running season :) First one will be October 19, then Rock n Roll Las Vegas on November 17, Thanksgiving Half on November 28, culminating with the Donald Duck Half on January 11!

I'm so excited we are in the double digits now! I booked our condo that hubby and I will be sharing with our friends after the race until the Tuesday we leave. I'm glad I get it at least a couple of days onsite at Pop before we move to the condo.

Also, the cooler fall weather has really settled in and has made running so wonderful! I'm a slow runner no matter what, but I'm just teensy bit less slow when the temperature cools down ;)

SAFD: Training is going much better than last year. Already completed a 14 miler, didn't do that until November last year. Saturday will be a half marathon for my POT. Hoping for under 1:52, since I successfully did a 10 mile run at that race pace 10 days ago. Guess I'll see what happens in 4 days. Then on to the Wine & Dine half and the Marathon Weekend full. Good luck to everyone with their own training!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter