• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

I have to say, trying to figure out how I might be able to ride ROTR while I'm there is turning out to be the most complicated part of my Dopey strategy. The revised DHS opening time of 8am just nailed the coffin, I'm afraid. :(

Just came here to ask if getting from the 5K, to All Star Movies, to HS before 8 was viable. Seems like it could be tough, but maybe doable?

Just came here to ask if getting from the 5K, to All Star Movies, to HS before 8 was viable. Seems like it could be tough, but maybe doable?
Yeah - I told my husband he better run fast and take a super quick shower so we can get the boarding group.

We’ll probably end up walking from Boardwalk to HS as well for time savings.

What's a good website for weather stalking? We are within a month now....
This far out? None of them. :) A week out will give a decent general view, and then any weather site works. I check Weather Channel and WESH, an Orlando station. But nothing's really accurate until about a 24-hour window.

No way can I do it, but faster folks might? I'm assuming a 6am start for me and a 45 minute 5K, so done and at my car by maybe 7-7:15. At DHS around 7:30-7:45, which may be too late to get a BG time that's early enough, since I'll be in bed very early. Right now, DHS is unofficially opening 1.5-2 hours before official opening, and BGs are gone before or shortly after official opening.

What's a good website for weather stalking? We are within a month now....

https://scijinks.gov/forecast-reliability/https://www.forbes.com/sites/dennis...st-and-know-which-ones-to-trust/#ad7e6d972cb1'
https://www.forecastadvisor.com/detail/Florida/Orlando/32827/https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produ...ason/13_seasonal_outlooks/color/churchill.php

The three month seasonal forecast says a 40-50% probability of above average temps during Dec-Jan-Feb (33% probability would be equal chance of above, normal, below). Average in Orlando on Jan 10th is a low of 49 and high of 71. Any forecast longer than 10 days is no more accurate than just looking at the averages.

If the buses are the same as year's past, then they don't start running again until 60 min after the start of the 5k. So the first bus back to the resort leaves at 6:30-6:40am at the earliest. My notes say I made it back to OKW at 7:10am in 2018 when boarding one of the first buses.

This far out? None of them. :) A week out will give a decent general view, and then any weather site works. I check Weather Channel and WESH, an Orlando station. But nothing's really accurate until about a 24-hour window.
boo

The three month seasonal forecast says a 40-50% probability of above average temps during Dec-Jan-Feb (33% probability would be equal chance of above, normal, below). Average in Orlando on Jan 10th is a low of 49 and high of 71. Any forecast longer than 10 days is no more accurate than just looking at the averages.
also boo

SAFD: I started running every now and then when I was trying to lose some weight. I never felt comfortable with it. Most of the time, I ran too fast and got various issues. So I almost quit after a few weeks.

A few years back, I joined some friends doing a charity run. After that run, we met for more runs.

Today I mostly run for two reasons.
First - Statistics. I love to get all the information out of every run. Keep track of all miles I ran. Compare to previous weeks, month or years. I am kind of a geek ;)
Second - Eating. I love to eat and running gives me the extra calories ;)

Just know that all that this means:

Is that the average of those 90 days (not any one specific day) has only a 7-17% increased probability of being above average. So to me, it doesn't really mean all that much for any specific days during marathon weekend. But that the general winter season has a slight chance of being warmer than normal.

Hey, Dopey Runners! How do you explain the Dopey Challenge? I am so tired of explaining it.

During the last weeks, a lot of friends asked me why I am running so much. "I am training for a Marathon in January!" is my answer. Next thing everybody wants to know, "Where do you run the Marathon?". "Orlando, ...". "Cool, what time do you plan to run?". "Well, look, I do not know exactly because the Marathon is going to be the fourth Race at that weekend!". "Woot?" "Yes, it is part of the so-called Dopey Challenge at Walt Disney World." "The what?!". Now I am trapped and have to go the full distance of explaining, ...

The interesting part of these conversations is, most of them cannot imagine running four days back to back. Some even try to talk me out of it. "This is too dangerous, what about your health?!". "Remember, we start the conversation because of my high mileage in the last months?! I am in training for those four Races!"

What kind of reactions do you get when you are talking about the Dopey Challenge?

I'm so glad that I'm on this thread because I had no idea that DHS hours had changed. Now I have to drag my mom out of bed even earlier to make it to DHS by 8am on Friday. Yikes!

Hey, Dopey Runners! How do you explain the Dopey Challenge? I am so tired of explaining it.

During the last weeks, a lot of friends asked me why I am running so much. "I am training for a Marathon in January!" is my answer. Next thing everybody wants to know, "Where do you run the Marathon?". "Orlando, ...". "Cool, what time do you plan to run?". "Well, look, I do not know exactly because the Marathon is going to be the fourth Race at that weekend!". "Woot?" "Yes, it is part of the so-called Dopey Challenge at Walt Disney World." "The what?!". Now I am trapped and have to go the full distance of explaining, ...

The interesting part of these conversations is, most of them cannot imagine running four days back to back. Some even try to talk me out of it. "This is too dangerous, what about your health?!". "Remember, we start the conversation because of my high mileage in the last months?! I am in training for those four Races!"

What kind of reactions do you get when you are talking about the Dopey Challenge?
Unless someone previously knows about my Run Disney obsession, I don’t even try to explain it. If someone asks about my prediction for time, I just laugh and say something like “I just want to finish up before my brunch reservation!” Most non-runners have no clue to what the average finishing time is in a marathon anyway.

I've avoided this thread like the plague since Thanksgiving, and now have finally reconciled myself to not coming down in January. I exhausted all possibilities to find a bib and it exhausted me! I learned a pricy lesson about gambling on race registration, as I am out airfare and one night room ressie (which is technically refundable but in reality, ???)

Hope that all have great races. Now can anyone tell me how to hide a thread? :)

Don’t know if you’ve given up entirely, but there are still some TAs on Facebook advertising limited race availability as of this morning.

I'm so glad that I'm on this thread because I had no idea that DHS hours had changed. Now I have to drag my mom out of bed even earlier to make it to DHS by 8am on Friday. Yikes!
just be aware that the 8:00 am opening time has been misleading all week. Park has been opening at 6:30 basically every morning, and all boarding groups for ROTR have been gone within 1 - 2 hours. Today they were all gone prior to 8:00. THis morning had an even larger crowd than past days at 6:30. Those in the know are reccomending getting to the park no later than 6:00 in order to make sure you get in a BG, and to be aware that if your BG is 60 or higher that it won't be until afternoon or evening before it is called. Things may change by January, but this is what is happening right now.

Things may change by January, but this is what is happening right now.

Thanks for the info! I had to stop reading the RoTR opening week thread because it was starting to get almost spoiler-y and/or too many complaints about Disney opening before opening hours. I just want to have an idea of what I need to do to get on the ride when I'm there in January!

Considering boarding groups are filling up before 8AM you might be out of luck. Your best bet is to go to DHS right from the 5K join a boarding group then go back to your hotel for showering and what not. You have two hours to return for your boarding group.

just be aware that the 8:00 am opening time has been misleading all week. Park has been opening at 6:30 basically every morning, and all boarding groups for ROTR have been gone within 1 - 2 hours. Today they were all gone prior to 8:00. THis morning had an even larger crowd than past days at 6:30. Those in the know are reccomending getting to the park no later than 6:00 in order to make sure you get in a BG, and to be aware that if your BG is 60 or higher that it won't be until afternoon or evening before it is called. Things may change by January, but this is what is happening right now.
Yep and the number of boarding groups given out each day changes. Today seems to be less than the previous couple days.

Don’t know if you’ve given up entirely, but there are still some TAs on Facebook advertising limited race availability as of this morning.

They just haven't updated websites.....what I've been told is that all TA pull from a central pool (even Disney Travel) and there are only 10k left,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter