• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: I most likely won’t stop for any characters, but I love seeing them out there. The ones I’d most like to see are:

1. Jack, Sally & Oogie Boogie. They’ve been out there in the past but got supplanted by the villainess’ display. #freeNBC!
  2. Hades, Pain & Panic
  3. Maui
  4. Robin Hood & Little John

SAFD: My bucket list character was Darkwing Duck and I got a picture with a couple years ago (or was it this year? They run together.) I was so sad this year that I didn't stop for Chip n Dale during the half when it turned out they had Clarice with them. They were on a break as I went by so all you could see was the acorn props. I figured I had a ton of Chip n Dale already, so I didn't stop...

I'm not sure who my must stops are now that Darkwing has been taken care of. Most likely I'll play it by ear on course.

SAFD: Oswald (though I'm guessing he'll be at the 10K, which I'm also running), Tink, Merida, Megara, maybe villains and any truly rare characters.

Also, for the record, I'd totally be in for this text chain!

So guess who never deletes her texts and still has the giant group chain from this last year with the characters and the miles?...

This also reminds me has there been any talk about doing this again this year?

Ok gang, looking for a little pep talk (text?) this morning as I seemed to have developed an issue with my adductors at the end of training. I bailed on my 16 miler last weekend after 3 in hopes of getting it under control, but after an easy 8 that went ok at the start of the week, issue came roaring back during Thursday's 8 miler. I had 18 miles scheduled this morning as my last long run, but since I could still feel a bit of tightness just walking around, I have decided that anything possibly gained by the run would be outweighed by the risk of aggravating the issue further.

Since I did MCM in late October and promised myself that I would not worry about time for any of the Dopey races, I think I can still do this, but admit my confidence is lagging pretty bad at this point having missed my last 2 long runs. I had to bail on last year's Dopey attempt because of injury and really don't want to have that happen again.

There's been some chatter about characters already, so let's keep this going, Sundays are for Disney style. Which characters are you hoping to see on the course? Are there any you will absolutely stop for, regardless of your running plans? What are your favorite characters you've seen on the course in the past?
I don’t really have a must stop list. I stop for characters I’ve never seen before and favorites like country bears or Donald. In the past some of my favorite are Lotso, Edna, Country Bears, Oogie Boogie, Guardians, Fantasia Ostrich, Parade Bus, Sheriff with a medal, and the fab five in special outfits.

SAFD: I'll definitely stop for Pluto if I see him as he's my favorite (obvs from my SN). I'm hoping to get lots of stops in again this year as I had so much fun last year stopping for as many as I could. I ended up with a 10K time of 2 hours because I stopped so much! I generally skip any character I can see easily in the parks, even if they are in a unique costume.

SAFD: One thing would be neat but I doubt would happen just due to how absolutely rare the meet and greet is would maybe Kingdom Hearts characters.

Basically I’ll stop for characters I really love (like Stitch) or you almost never see or both. Or ones that have no line. Like the Fantasia Ostrich last year.

Reminding myself of this as I'm not a huge fan of Weather.com's prediction for Marathon day. I thought others might find it helpful as we're still more than 10 days out. Here's hoping it gets a bit colder!

"A seven-day forecast can accurately predict the weather about 80 percent of the time and a five-day forecast can accurately predict the weather approximately 90 percent of the time. However, a 10-day—or longer—forecast is only right about half the time." - SciJinks.Gov

I’m genuinely curious what the site your looking at is saying though? Accuweather is showing a high of 70 with rain for Sunday. I wouldn’t call that perfect but I wouldn’t call that horrible either. It’s Saturday and Friday that look like they might get miserable with highs of 77 by Accus forecast.

That being said like the quote says forecasts thus far out are not anywhere near accurate. I’ve been checking it when I get out mainly out of curiousity. The forecast for Dopey has been something different every time I looked in the morning for the last few days.

Actually Saturday’s a bit more then concerning this has early signs of mimicking the 2017 forecast. Thunderstorms are forecast for the afternoon at least but best to keep a close eye on it. Hope that doesn’t hold true.
SAFD: Oswald (though I'm guessing he'll be at the 10K, which I'm also running), Tink, Merida, Megara, maybe villains and any truly rare characters.

Also, for the record, I'd totally be in for this text chain!

Oswald won’t be on the course is my guess. Since if he has a meet and greet at the start they probably won’t put him elsewhere.

Yeah that chain made my life easier the last couple of years that why I brought it up. But I couldn’t remember who headed it either...

Which characters are you hoping to see on the course? Are there any you will absolutely stop for, regardless of your running plans? What are your favorite characters you've seen on the course in the past?
I enjoy seeing all of the characters on course, but I don't typically stop for many of them. I get in this “I have to keep moving” mode (I don’t, really). But, I always stop for my guy Pluto! He makes me happy and I really needed to see him on that long sunny stretch of Osceola Parkway during the 2019 marathon! It would be fun to see other Disney dogs on course like Dug and Russell (I think it was just Russell with no Dug last year). I’m also a fan of the Fab Five especially in their unique costumes (Scottish Goofy, Race Car Driver Donald, etc.) and would stop for any of them in the 5k and 10k. During the marathon, Mickey would be my pick!

SAFD: I’ll probably stop for nearly all of them during the full. I’m not choosy.

I figured that was the plan for the Goof Troop Roving Road Party()

Ok gang, looking for a little pep talk (text?) this morning as I seemed to have developed an issue with my adductors at the end of training. I bailed on my 16 miler last weekend after 3 in hopes of getting it under control, but after an easy 8 that went ok at the start of the week, issue came roaring back during Thursday's 8 miler. I had 18 miles scheduled this morning as my last long run, but since I could still feel a bit of tightness just walking around, I have decided that anything possibly gained by the run would be outweighed by the risk of aggravating the issue further.

Since I did MCM in late October and promised myself that I would not worry about time for any of the Dopey races, I think I can still do this, but admit my confidence is lagging pretty bad at this point having missed my last 2 long runs. I had to bail on last year's Dopey attempt because of injury and really don't want to have that happen again.

I was pre-Med for a semester in college (true story), so I think I'm qualified to weigh in here: have a beer and don't stress over it, man. It's just a race and fortunately, it's a race at Disney so no matter what you're going to have a great time down there.

Adjust your expectations, do what your body allows you to do and have as much fun as humanely possible. Being hurt sucks, but you'll be surrounded by friends (family?) and people rooting for you. You've got this.

I am also keeping a close eye on the weather. However I am more worried about how CTs weather looks. Right now they are saying rain/snow starting Friday when we leave. If it is still looking like a chance of snow at this time next week I might switch to the late Thursday night flight. That means paying another night at a hotel and extra day of car rental. The worst part though would be that my 5 and 2 year kids would be awake when I leave. They don’t know I’m going to Disney without them.

It has been so long since I last logged on here!

SAFD: I don't go in wanting a certain character, we usually just get the ones with short lines. Luckily they are also the super rare ones that no one knows who they are!

@DopeyBadger hope it's ok to add to the excel sheet!

RACE - 5k
NAME -
Brenna
DIS'er name -
AFwifelife
Costume/Clothing -
Purple jacket, green sparkle skirt
Corral -
TBD
Pre-Race Meet-up? -
Yes
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early
Front, Middle, or Back of corral -
Front
Expected Pace -
? (taking all the races easy)

RACE - 10k
NAME -
Brenna
DIS'er name -
AFwifelife
Costume/Clothing -
Donald shirt, white skirt, yellow tights
Corral -
TBD
Pre-Race Meet-up? -
Maybe
Front to middle
Expected Pace -
very relaxed

RACE - Half
NAME -
Brenna
DIS'er name -
AFwifelife
Costume/Clothing -
Forky! (white shirt, white skirt, read headband with a spork top)
Corral -
Placed in E, will be going to F
Pre-Race Meet-up? -
Maybe
Front
Expected Pace -
? (talking all the races easy)

RACE - Full
NAME -
Brenna
DIS'er name -
AFwifelife
Costume/Clothing -
Tweedle Dee (yellow tank, red sparkle skirt, red hat with yellow flag)
Corral -
Placed in E, will be going to F
Pre-Race Meet-up? -
Maybe
Front
Expected Pace -
? (talking all the races easy)

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are less than 10 days away from the kickoff of Marathon Weekend!!!

There's been some chatter about characters already, so let's keep this going, Sundays are for Disney style. Which characters are you hoping to see on the course? Are there any you will absolutely stop for, regardless of your running plans? What are your favorite characters you've seen on the course in the past?

I don't have a huge bucket list of characters that I'm dying to see, but I'd definitely stop for Buzz and Stitch, maybe Maui? I'll stop for a Duck Tales themed stop if the theme song is playing because it's a banger. I'll stop for the Incredibles if I'm in my Mr. Incredible shirt, but I'm wearing that for the full and planning on hitting all of the stops, anyway.

The favorite character stop I've even seen - but didn't actually stop for - was during the 2019 half or full. It had three female villains (Maleficent, Queen of Hearts and the Queen from Snow White, maybe?), but what made it cool was they were blasting O Fortuna as I was running by, it was still dark and I think it was kind of foggy that morning. Made for a really cool experience.

Have a great week, everyone!

I usually pick one race that I run for a PR, this time it’s the full, and the rest I’ll stop at most characters.
I’ll be hard pressed to pass up Maleficent though, hopefully she’s out in the half or I’ll wait for wine and dine. Another favorite being Stitch, the one I missed getting was him and Lilo at the beach with surfboards in the sand, I would have liked that one but oh well, some other time.

have a beer and don't stress over it

I think this can be applied to a whole bunch of first world problems, I’m going to keep this for my own personal use

So first,you are smart. You have assessed your body and adjusted training accordingly to give your body rest. Second, you are sufficiently trained at this point to complete the events, so consider your rest "extra taper". I wouldn't mess around with trying to correct anything re: adductors other than ice and gentle stretching.

I understand your anxiety. I have gone into races before with nagging injuries. Sometimes it goes great and sometimes not, but, of course, worrying about it has no effect. It's hard not to, I admit. Sending good vibess your way.

Goof Troop Roving Road Party()

I like it!

SAFD: I'm not a big character person, but we'll just take it as it comes. I would stop for Moana/Maui and anything Coco just to send pics to my daughter.

Ran 9 cold, wet miles today. Yuck. It's the only weather that I just hate to run in, but it beat the TM. I really hope it's dry at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter