• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

Ive used the walkway before on marathon Sunday...just be mindful of the runners. I'd suggest taking the bridge from Yacht Club over to the boardwalk and cutting through the clown pool and not actually hitting to much of the run route until past the boardwalk tennis courts (near where the 24 mi ish aid station will be).

Thanks for making me feel better. I’d much prefer walking vs having to use a bus or car. We plan on leaving around 6am anyway. I can’t imagine the path would be too busy with runners that early.

Good luck to everybody! Getting excited. As for the heat, I remember a race something like 7 or 8 years ago where I overheard the medic on the bike radioing to someone that "they are dropping like flies". DH reminds me of that for every warm run. Having said that, I'll take the heat over the cold any day. I can't stand being tired and sitting in the corral cold. Good to hear that I'm not the only one with anxiety. This is something like my 12th Goofy and I still panic when I see medical tents at Disney. My first marathon was at Disney, and I just knew I wouldn't make it past them. Now, every one, is another one down :-)

Thanks for making me feel better. I’d much prefer walking vs having to use a bus or car. We plan on leaving around 6am anyway. I can’t imagine the path would be too busy with runners that early.
6am you probably won't see many runners (first finishers would be after 7am) but you could see the wheelchair athletes. The push rim athletes would be at/near the boardwalk/DHS path at 6:15am based on last year's winning times. And they will be fast. Last year's men's winners were going about 18 mph.

Does anyone know, are Camelbak running vests allowed on the course?
Yes, or at least they have been in the past. In the safety section of the guide it does not mention anything about hydration vests not being allowed. Bags are checked before you enter the staging area.

Maybe this is a silly question but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I've been trying to run with the extra layers to adjust and for the most part it's been ok. But what about when I'm not running. Would it be a benefit to try and put up with a little extra heat all day long? Like maybe wear a jacket or sweatshirt when I wouldn't normally wear one? Would it help to just get used to being hot and muggy?

https://www.gssiweb.org/sports-scie...athletic-performance-in-warm-hot-environments
This would suggest sitting in warm rooms (or sleeping with the air conditioning off) does not effect heat acclimatization as much as doing HAT. So I'd say it's probably unnecessary and too much additional stress.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 1.50.40 PM.png

So who is 'racing' as opposed to taking a guided running tour of the parks coupled with character meets?

Doing both ;) Taking the half easy and hoping the conditions will allow racing on the full (I have "B" and "C" goals if things go wonky).

Someone on FB noticed the runners square page got updated with walk out times for them:

Im bringing this up because I have a feeling that the runners square peeps won’t be making the trek at the same times as the chairs/adaptives. Rather will start our walk probably a good five minutes before is what I’m guessing. Which means for the full do not mess around with the 3:30 arrival time. It’s better to be there a bit early then to get stuck in traffic worrying about making a mad spring to the start. Or even being able to get there at all with the new course.

Unfortunately I’m stuck with whatever acclimation I’ve got. My trainer has me on rest days mostly for this last week. So whatever mileage I get is going to be on the low side.

Racing is a strong word for what I am looking to do, LOL... I'm looking for a nice pace to finish my first marathon in 4:30 :)
I plan to stick with the Galloway 4:30 pace group in Coral D.

I have pretty much the exact same goal--here's to great marathon vibes for both of us!

2020 Marathon Weekend DIS List v2020_01_02 FINAL

Alright, attached you will find the FINAL version of the 2020 Marathon Weekend DIS List!

I added real bathroom locations along the HM and M course per noguiltdisney's website. We have:

5k - 38 runners (29 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
10k - 46 runners (37 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
HM - 58 runners (48 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
M - 67 runners (57 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)

Excited to share the race course with you all!

Attachments

• MW 2020 DIS List 2020_01_02 FINAL r.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
I learned a lot from Charles back before just my 3rd race in 2012. I used to live in fear that a missed run or two would destroy my goal of just finishing Experience has since taught me otherwise, but it still took many races to help me learn just how much consistency can do for you.

I never thought I'd see this post, and have it apply to us. Marathon Weekend and its annual thread used to be something where we watched and read the tales of everyone else. Now, we arrive at the precipice of MW. DW and I look forward to meeting as many as we can. We might not have remembered to hit "like" or quote and reply, but we have appreciated going through this experience with every one of you.
I too spent many years very confident that I would never run a marathon. And then reading marathon reports began to hatch the idea in my head. And now I'm back for marathon number 2.
So who is 'racing' as opposed to taking a guided running tour of the parks coupled with character meets?
At my slower pace, I think it winds up being both.
Wanted to add to your list- stop at the medical tents for bags of ice
This is a very good idea. The humidity during the 2019 marathon was tough and really beat down on me at the end. I poured water down my back at just about every stop, regretted throwing my sponge away, and after seeing other runners do it, I spent part of the last few miles with an ice bag on my head. I even have the pictures to prove it. But that ice bag helped immensely. One other thought from me. If you're deciding between a hat and a visor, go with a visor. It provides the same amount of shade as a hat does, but it also allows the heat to escape quicker as it starts to build.

regretted throwing my sponge away,

Just outside of AK last year- some amazing person handed me a ice cold washcloth right out of the cooler! That became my best friend for the next 13 miles as I kept it wet at each water station. So if the forecast holds up- think of grabbing one from your room to take with you. Or pack a cool towel now from another race!

Someone - on this list I think- posted this last year - with tip to load it with sunscreen for race day! It saved me as the aid stations ran out! So plan ahead- don't burn. A burn on Saturday will make life miserable on Sunday!

2020 Marathon Weekend DIS List v2020_01_02 FINAL

Alright, attached you will find the FINAL version of the 2020 Marathon Weekend DIS List!

I added real bathroom locations along the HM and M course per noguiltdisney's website. We have:

5k - 38 runners (29 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
10k - 46 runners (37 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
HM - 58 runners (48 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
M - 67 runners (57 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)

Excited to share the race course with you all!

Thanks @DopeyBadger!! This is great! One thing I’ll add for each race is that I assume @croach and I and others will be found in the parking lot beer area after each race. If anyone wants to meet up with us, please do.

Just outside of AK last year- some amazing person handed me a ice cold washcloth right out of the cooler! That became my best friend for the next 13 miles as I kept it wet at each water station. So if the forecast holds up- think of grabbing one from your room to take with you. Or pack a cool towel now from another race!
Thanks for that tip. I always have plenty of cooling towels from previous runDisney races so that will help. I always run with an empty drawstring backpack to hold things like gloves or even stuff after the race, so I can always put the cooling towel in there.

As we head into the 7-day forecast range (which has general 80% accuracy), I found this interesting weather forecast accuracy tool on Forecastadvisor.com (searchable by zip code) which shows which weather site has been the most accurate for Disney World this month and this year. Looks like The Weather Channel & Dark Sky are our best bets!

image (15).png

Thanks for that tip. I always have plenty of cooling towels from previous runDisney races so that will help. I always run with an empty drawstring backpack to hold things like gloves or even stuff after the race, so I can always put the cooling towel in there.

So I don't have any cooling towels. Living in the PNW does have some advantages I guess. Can anyone recommend a brand/style/size etc? Maybe and Amazon link if that's allowed? Thanks in advance!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter