Marathon Weekend 2020

OH WOW!!! Thanks for making me think of this. Salt tabs. Must bring salt tabs. My first marathon I was loopy because I can't drink enough electrolytes without getting sick. Must pack salt capsules!!

Still trending warmer...

1/4/20 AccuWeather

Wed 1/8 - 67°/56° Periods of sun
Thu 1/9 - 75°/65° Turning cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 79°/58° Chance of a shower
Sat 1/11 85°/66° Partly sunny and very warm
Sun 1/12 84°/68° Mostly cloudy and very warm

1/4/20 Weather.com

Wed 1/8 - 68°/55° Partly Cloudy
Thu 1/9 - 77°/65° Partly Cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 82°/71° Partly Cloudy
Sat 1/11 84°/68° Partly Cloudy
Sun 1/12 84°/70° Partly Cloudy

1/4/20 National Weather Service

Wed 1/8 - Sunny, with a high near 64
Wed Night - Partly cloudy, with a low around 51
Thu 1/9 - Mostly sunny, with a high near 74
Thu Night - Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62
Fri 1/9 - A 20 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 78

1/3/20 AccuWeather

Wed 1/8 - 62°/47° Partly Sunny and cooler
Thu 1/9 - 70°/56° Time of clouds and sun
Fri 1/10 - 83°/68° Warmer with a shower possible
Sat 1/11 85°/68° Mostly sunny and very warm
Sun 1/12 84°/68° Very warm with some sun

1/3/20 Weather.com

Wed 1/8 - 62°/51° Partly Cloudy
Thu 1/9 - 74°/65° Partly Cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 81°/70° PM Thunderstorms
Sat 1/11 82°/67° Scattered Thunderstorms
Sun 1/12 82°/69° Partly Cloudy

1/3/20 National Weather Service

Wed 1/8 - Mostly sunny, with a high near 63
Wed Night - Mostly clear, with a low around 47
Thu 1/9 - Sunny, with a high near 72

As I watch the weather forecast temperatures climb, I have some "well, better laugh about it" thoughts....

1. It will make my packing lighter--shorts, charity singlet, no fleecy toss clothes.
2. It reduces my anxiety about how my body will react temp-wise to stopping/restarting during a race for characters, etc. No need to worry about getting chilled.
3. Salted Caramel Gu is what I have chosen as race fuel. Because it's yummy and it has added sodium, which won't hurt.

So yeah, that's what I am thinking. I also did Goofy 2013, but since I ended up aggravating my IT band after the half, I spent the full run/walking trying to ignore pain. On the plus side, I guess I blanked on the heat!

So anyone want to add to the list? Let's find the humor.
Assuming the weather holds up, while it is not ideal for running, for those of us looking at race weekend more as a family vacation than 4 races, we could not ask for better weather. I would so much rather be in FL in shorts and a t shirt instead of all bundled up and freezing. I am going to enjoy the sun, pool, etc. I would add lighter packing as a bonus but I am still planning to bring all my warm gear either way...
5. 25,000 person wet t-shirt contest
Ha

4. It's a good chance to field test your socks' claim of being moisture wicking and blister resistant

On the serious side of the heat and humidity, I am glad I brought my skin cooler top and arm sleeves with me. The top has three pockets down the spine, perfect for stashing a wet sponge :)
Do arm sleeves keep you cooler? When I tried them in the heat, I really didn't give them much of a chance. I took them off pretty fast because they were looking sweaty.

I want to do everything that gives me advantage over the heat. I even changed my costume in a panic last night because the original shirt was black.

I'm loving the Pluto art work! I don't normally get the I did it shirts, but I just might have to for Pluto!

Do arm sleeves keep you cooler? When I tried them in the heat, I really didn't give them much of a chance. I took them off pretty fast because they were looking sweaty.

I want to do everything that gives me advantage over the heat. I even changed my costume in a panic last night because the original shirt was black.

Mine do, especially when wet. I use ones from DeSoto and can offer up a discount code to anyone here who wants to buy some.

https://www.desotosport.com/collections/skin-cooler

6. Skin slick with sweat is less prone to chafing!
7. Cold beer will taste extra good

~~~

If I may offer a little unsolicited advice? I’ve seen a few folks say they’re going to run harder in the first half of the marathon, then slow down to deal with the heat later. If you’ve done that in this kind of heat and know it works for you, rock on! But if you haven’t and you don’t, I’ll caution you to reconsider. Because heat stress is cumulative. And it’s looking to be warm even at the start. Your core temp will rise with running and will rise even more at a harder effort, so by the time you slow down later, it’s too late: there’s no going back and you’re adding heat stress on top of heat stress. I slow down from the very beginning when running in summer heat here in FL to keep my core temp as low as I can before the air temp starts rising - it’s truly the only way I can get through long runs in summer.

Thoughts on riding rides; will Splash Mountain or the rapids ride in AK be open when we run through them? Or might they even have a pool at Blizzard Beach running? Because getting soaked in cold water is looking like a huge plus.

Sadly, BOTH Kali and Splash are down for refurb starting next week. Maybe they'll delay it due to the forecasted heat?? One can only hope.

~~~

If I may offer a little unsolicited advice? I’ve seen a few folks say they’re going to run harder in the first half of the marathon, then slow down to deal with the heat later. If you’ve done that in this kind of heat and know it works for you, rock on! But if you haven’t and you don’t, I’ll caution you to reconsider. Because heat stress is cumulative. And it’s looking to be warm even at the start. Your core temp will rise with running and will rise even more at a harder effort, so by the time you slow down later, it’s too late: there’s no going back and you’re adding heat stress on top of heat stress. I slow down from the very beginning when running in summer heat here in FL to keep my core temp as low as I can before the air temp starts rising - it’s truly the only way I can get through long runs in summer.
Just to clarify my strategy for the marathon, I plan to start slow and take walk breaks from the beginning. My pace is usually based on feel, so if it is warm and humid to start, my pace will reflect that. However, I plan to save all of the extra stopping for photos etc. for the later miles when I need the extra breaks. I will not be running any harder in the beginning, my effort will remain consistent and will naturally slow down as the heat picks up (which is where those extra photo stops come in...)

As someone who has always been prone to heat illness, my number one tip is to hydrate in the days before and during the race. Don’t just hydrate with water, it is important to also hydrate with electrolytes. My drink of choice is nuun, but use whatever has worked for you. Just make sure it includes electrolytes and not simply sugar and carbs. Don’t be afraid to drink water during the race because you may need to stop and use the restroom. That’s just a sign that you are doing it right!

Dr. Cool both is usually at the expo their arm sleeves keep you cooler - when wet. It cools your blood inside your arm and keeps your core cooler. Love them in hot weather! Decorative arm sleeves don't help
My dr cool sleeves are the best $$$ ever spent at the expo.

2013 marathon runner here- my first marathon. I’m a slow, back of the pack runner. I got to experience all of the heat that day! I recall it being pretty warm and humid right from the start. I don’t think i really started feeling the heat effects until around mile 14-15. I started getting a headache. I was so concerned about drinking too much water I made the mistake of not drinking enough. I think I walked almost a whole mile midway and got my temp, hydration, and nutrition back in control and felt much better after that.

just take it slower, hydrate, electrolytes, pour water over your head, hold on to the sponges/towels they give you and wet them down again at the water stops. Listen to your body and slow down more if you have to.

enjoy the race and your hotel pools afterwards!

For those staying at the Poly - I find walking to TTC very easy but it’s dark and some people get turned around there so if not familiar with the path, check it out before race morning.

I’ve also found the monorails run very fast race mornings too. So they are still a good option and it’s convenient to stop into Captain Cooks to get tea, coffee etc to take with you as well.

I think your advice is spot on and hopefully not contradictory to what some of us were saying earlier. I do plan to run harder in the first half, but harder is a very relative term. My harder running will be at a slower pace than I trained for (long run pace instead of marathon pace). The difference between LR and M paces for me is about 2 minutes/mile so that's the delta I'm slowing down to for my "harder" first 17 miles to accommodate the heat.

I'll be using the delay at Thirsty River and EE to further recover and then I'll finish the last 9+ miles at an even slower pace, taking more frequent walk breaks and ensuring I finish upright and healthy.

Last edited:
So, even with the heat, based on my training, I have a shot of a course record for me at the marathon -- which would be crazy because my best time was like 10 years ago. Question, does anybody remember seeing pacing bracelets at the expo? I might want one this year. My thought is to start fast while it is dark and allow for slow down time. Off to recalculate times. I know that doesn't work for some people, but that's how I train. . . Start off fast and then bleed off speed as time goes on. And my running harder will be less than my training pace. . .

For those staying at the Poly, what time are you leaving for the marathon with the new start time? I always fret about it and always get there in plenty of time, but curious.

Thinking on my arm guards. I wear them biking for sun protection. I have never worn them running and hate to try something for the first time at a race. No more long runs until then. Hmmm.

DH here: might have to look into the arm guards at the expo or the @FFigawi site for future hot runs.

Race this morning was about 1 speed level faster than goal, but I feel I did a good job holding back. Getting up, dressing, getting to the race, potty, bib, dealing with congestion (intentionally started in the back) were all good experiences today.

Sunscreen tip: apply before getting dressed, if possible. Those shirt sleeves might not be as long as you think, even if you've worn it many times before. We're bringing lotion and spray, as spray works better on the top of the head.

So, even with the heat, based on my training, I have a shot of a course record for me at the marathon -- which would be crazy because my best time was like 10 years ago. Question, does anybody remember seeing pacing bracelets at the expo? I might want one this year. My thought is to start fast while it is dark and allow for slow down time. Off to recalculate times. I know that doesn't work for some people, but that's how I train. . . Start off fast and then bleed off speed as time goes on. And my running harder will be less than my training pace. . .
I think the Galloway booth or the Clif booth had pace bands in the past? But I can’t promise because I haven’t looked for them in recent years. Do you have a Garmin or similar watch? You can program your goals in as a “workout” and it will beep at you when you are over or under pace. It’s adjustable down to small segments, so you could program each mile it’s own pace.

I’m in a similar boat in that my course record was part of Goofy 2015, so based on training, I should also be able to set a course record this year since I’m doing the marathon only. I’m a very goal oriented person, but the most fun I’ve had at Disney races were when I didn’t have time goals. So I’m torn about just for fun versus time.

1. It will make my packing lighter--shorts, charity singlet, no fleecy toss clothes.
2. It reduces my anxiety about how my body will react temp-wise to stopping/restarting during a race for characters, etc. No need to worry about getting chilled.
3. Salted Caramel Gu is what I have chosen as race fuel. Because it's yummy and it has added sodium, which won't hurt.
4. It's a good chance to field test your socks' claim of being moisture wicking and blister resistant

8. No shivering in the corrals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter