• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

Barca -- you won't be the first person who did one of these without proper training. My husband's first marathon was the Goofy on his birthday. He decided to do it with me and trained hardly at all. Dude ended up thinking he had a stress fracture in his foot because of it (he didn't -- he just was suffering through). It makes for an awesome story. Be smart and enjoy what you can. You deserve 100% of the joy. Fingers crossed that you finish and are happy with your race!! You are certainly worthy of all the good the race has to offer.

Its going to be hot.
It’s going to hurt.
I will feel out of breath.
I will cramp up.
I will take it slowly.
I will look a mess.
I will keep on swimming.
After the race, I’ll slowly move about WDW, popping ibuprofen and washing it down with my drink of choice from whichever bar I can reach.

SAFD: I’m telling myself and everyone that’s so that I am going to be taking these races easy. That I am not going for any time and will be going at a slow pace. That I’ll be stopping for plenty of pictures and ride some rides during the marathon. My prediction is, I do a lot less of this than I am planning to do. Once going, my competitiveness will see me running a faster pace than I plan to

My predictions:
- I'm gonna feel some serious FOMO as I'm sitting at work reading all the posts here (since I don't know if anything else will be going on at work this week ... I'll have plenty of time to read)
- Y'all are gonna kill it
- The Goof Troop Roving Road Party™ will have the most fun ever during a race
- @DopeyBadger will get his BQ and sub-3 marathon

SAFD:
- Taking the redeye on Wednesday night will set me up perfectly for the early race wake-ups.
- I WILL get a boarding group for RotR on Friday, and ride early enough to still make the HH meetup.
- I'll luck out and the expo will still have some of those four-park Minnie ears when I get there Thursday afternoon.
- I won't let my social anxiety take over and WILL join the pre-race DIS meet-ups for the 10K and marathon.
- I'll get the BEST PIC EVER with Oswald during the 10K, in my Oswald costume!
- I will get to AK just as it's opening during the marathon and be in the first train on Everest.
- My husband will come through and bring me the NPH special margarita from Cava in Epcot so I don't have to divert from the course for my finish line drink.
- Despite my panic over hot weather, I will be smart and finish my first full marathon strong, solidifying my decision to sign up for Dopey 2021!
- I'll have terrible FOMO over missing DATW since my flight home leaves early Monday morning.

Last edited:

SAFD:
- I will promise myself that I’m going to bed early and then never go to sleep before 10 pm.
- I will have more fun at the meet ups than going on the rides.
- I will finish my first Dopey swearing to never do that again, then register for it again next year on the day registration opens.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are THREE days away from the kickoff of Marathon Weekend! I hope you're ready to get rowdy.

Welcome to the first Sundays are for Disney of 2020 and the last before Marathon Weekend. Some of you all might do resolutions each year, but since those are basically goals and we just covered those, I'm going to do a little something different. For this week's Sundays are for Disney, what are your predictions for Marathon Weekend? They can be broad predictions, personal predictions, serious, silly, whatever. List as many as you want and have fun with it!

Here at some of mine:

- My "solo" trip doesn't feel that solo at all with lots of time spent with fellow runDisney all-stars
- I make a concerted effort to earn @FFigawi 's respect by drinking good beer, but ultimately abandon that pursuit and track down some Busch Light
- @jennamfeo gets no less than 15 text messages from me asking why the heck she isn't at MW
- Three hours are dedicated to staring wistfully at Splash Mountain, longing for my happy place
- Boma serves the seafood gumbo the night I eat there (I am going to will this prediction into existence)
- @rteetz and I get mistaken for twins over and over again
- Disney security special forces sees a sharp increase in reports of disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, inciting a riot, intoxication and public nudity, all of which are are attributed to a gang of misfits known simply as the Goof Troop Roving Road Party™.

Thank you to everyone who participated in SAFD in 2019. It's really fun for me and I hope you all enjoyed it, too.

Have a great week, everyone! See you real soon!

Everything is packed and I just finished 8 slow paced miles, this is getting real now!

SAFD: I can predict that I will meet a bunch of new friends and put faces and names to screen names
I will run too fast on the first three days and hope to not pay the price
I will drink too much beer each night
I will stay up too late
I have packed all my cold weather gear, therefore it will be hot

Regardless of that and the weather I have to predict that I will PR the full and finish my first Dopey with a smile

SAFD: My predictions are that DH and I will have a great time meeting all of you at the HH meet up. We met a few of you at the pre-half meet up last year. DH isn’t on here, but is willing to attend the meet up! He farms, so if there are any other ag-minded folks at the meet up, ask him about his new combine!

We plan to run the Half at a conservative pace, given the weather prediction!

We plan to spectate the 10k from the Beach Club area and the full in the DHS area.

Last edited:
I make a concerted effort to earn @FFigawi 's respect by drinking good beer, but ultimately abandon that pursuit and track down some Busch Light

Trying not to judge, but failing.....;)

3. I predict I will try to go to sleep early every night and will still be awake to hear the water parade and jump up to go watch it . . .

The year I did my first half marathon--2009 at Disney, of course--I stayed at Wildernesss Lodge (pre-DVC) and asked for one of the little "stub-end" rooms with a view over the lake. I forgot about the water pageant, but once that started I had no choice but to open the curtains and watch. So fun!

So my predictions......I will tell myself to make this an "all-social" weekend, and then crawl away on my own because I suck at making plans with people and also like to tour parks my own way. I hope to record my slowest ever Disney times and be happy about it, but will judge myself nonetheless.

Yeah, so I guess I need to work on this.....

SAFD:
- I’m going to drink enough before my red-eye flight to sleep through the entire thing.
- I’m going to be overwhelmed by the size of WDW.
- I’m going to have fun rooming with two people I haven’t seen since high school.
- I’m going to miss my kids and hubby and wish they were there. But as I do things on my own schedule I’m going to be happy I’m solo.
- My hair will be a hot frizzy mess the entire trip.
- I will take every race slower than originally planned due to the weather.
- There is going to be pain. There are going to be doubts. But I will finish.
-I’m going to have a great time meeting new friends and exploring WDW.

SAFD (written as first person because that is the only one I have control on):
- I won’t sleep well, especially before leaving home, due to excitement.
- I will enjoy the parks and probably will over do it before the races... But that is the only way I know how to do Disney.
- I will have to be patient with my DD co-runner and my four supporters who might not be in the same time zone as me.
- I will have been so cautious with ice, training, carb loading, pacing myself and not drinking that I will decide to join the Goof Troop Roving Road Party™ and have a blast.
- I will give a big bag of warm clothes to Floridians and that will make room for the souvenirs I will buy thinking that this is my last runDisney event.
- I will be reading your stories on this thread on the way back home.

Good luck everyone! It is great to know you!

- I will give a big bag of warm clothes to Floridians and that will make room for the souvenirs I will buy thinking that this is my last runDisney event.

This is me too! I brought four days worth of throw away clothes and my cold weather running gear just in case I needed it. The clothes are all going to a race morning to be left for Disney to pick up, wash, and give to someone who really need them.

-I will have nervous stomach from now until the 5K starts
-I will eat the giant meatballs at Yak and Yeti (it's all I've thought about since MW last year)
-I will have a drink sitting by my favorite spot in WDW (the fireplace at AKL)
-I will encourage other runners that I may pass during the 4 races that seem to be struggling. Words from others have helped me more than they will ever know.

Have fun, everyone!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter