Marathon Weekend 2021

Having been at races (not runDisney other than them running out of biofreeze on the Marathon Course) where stuff DOES go wrong - volunteers don't show up, people get the wrong timing and close their station early, etc. - it would never occur to me to NOT have my own hydration and nutrition with me. I don't get the mentality of not taking responsibility for yourself by not carrying your own.

When running races for time, I don’t want the additional weight and hassle of carrying my own hydration. The only races I’ve carried my own hydration for are the two 50 milers I’ve run. The other 50+ races I’ve run, ranging from 5k to 50k have all used on course hydration exclusively with no issues. I will typically review the course map before the race to ensure that there are no large gaps between stations, just to be safe.

If someone feels that they need the additional safety net of carrying their own, for whatever reason, I wouldn’t discourage it, but I also wouldn’t consider it necessary in the vast majority of cases and a very large majority of racers that I’ve observed don’t find it necessary, either.

When I say that I’ll be carrying my own hydration for the foreseeable future, that’s a safety precaution I’m taking to minimize proximity and interaction with others, not an indictment of the frequency or sufficiency of typical on course hydration.

When running races for time, I don’t want the additional weight and hassle of carrying my own hydration. The only races I’ve carried my own hydration for are the two 50 milers I’ve run. The other 50+ races I’ve run, ranging from 5k to 50k have all used on course hydration exclusively with no issues. I will typically review the course map before the race to ensure that there are no large gaps between stations, just to be safe.

If someone feels that they need the additional safety net of carrying their own, for whatever reason, I wouldn’t discourage it, but I also wouldn’t consider it necessary in the vast majority of cases and a very large majority of racers that I’ve observed don’t find it necessary, either.

When I say that I’ll be carrying my own hydration for the foreseeable future, that’s a safety precaution I’m taking to minimize proximity and interaction with others, not an indictment of the frequency or sufficiency of typical on course hydration.

It must be nice to be speedy enough you don't have to worry about that. And that you've been lucky enough there has never been an issue with not enough volunteers showing up/signing up and/or there being an issue with delivery to the water stations. I've volunteered at enough races I've seen it happen - delivery driver gets lost, there is traffic prior to road closures, even a race vehicle doing a course pre-check running over a hose filling the barrels and causing 4 volunteers to be injured and taken to the hospital because the hose flipped them (happened at a station I was working at during a race - I was supposed to be heading the cheer squad there but we all ended up pitching in for the fluid station and we barely got it set up in time because we were down those volunteers along with 2 who went with them (one extra per ambulance).

When you're more towards the back of the pack and have seen stations closing up well before the cut-off time, you learn quickly. And it's not just hydration. In 2014, runDisney First Aid stations as early as between Animal Kingdom and ESPN had run out of BioFreeze - and I was rear mid-pack at that point. I've been in races where the stuff was set out for people to grab and they did not monitor it enough so that early runners took EVERYTHING. In that case, the volunteers were kind enough to go and get fruit to hand out, but when you haven't trained on fruit and were counting on gel...it's not always a good thing.

Bottom line is I NEVER want to depend on something being there when I can provide it myself.

It must be nice to be speedy enough you don't have to worry about that. And that you've been lucky enough there has never been an issue with not enough volunteers showing up/signing up and/or there being an issue with delivery to the water stations. I've volunteered at enough races I've seen it happen - delivery driver gets lost, there is traffic prior to road closures, even a race vehicle doing a course pre-check running over a hose filling the barrels and causing 4 volunteers to be injured and taken to the hospital because the hose flipped them (happened at a station I was working at during a race - I was supposed to be heading the cheer squad there but we all ended up pitching in for the fluid station and we barely got it set up in time because we were down those volunteers along with 2 who went with them (one extra per ambulance).

When you're more towards the back of the pack and have seen stations closing up well before the cut-off time, you learn quickly. And it's not just hydration. In 2014, runDisney First Aid stations as early as between Animal Kingdom and ESPN had run out of BioFreeze - and I was rear mid-pack at that point. I've been in races where the stuff was set out for people to grab and they did not monitor it enough so that early runners took EVERYTHING. In that case, the volunteers were kind enough to go and get fruit to hand out, but when you haven't trained on fruit and were counting on gel...it's not always a good thing.

Bottom line is I NEVER want to depend on something being there when I can provide it myself.

If your circumstances dictate that carrying your own is a good idea for you, by all means, go for it. I specifically said I wouldn’t discourage anyone from doing it. In your earlier post, you said you didn’t “get the mentality of not taking responsibility for yourself”. I wasn’t criticizing your decision to carry hydration, just trying to give an explanation as to why many choose not to.

To address your examples, too, I’ll expand on my explanation. First, thank you for calling me “speedy”! I don’t get called that very often at my typically mid-pack pace. :) Yes, pacing and pack position play a role in the “carry/don’t carry” decision making process. Personally, I find it inexcusable that water stations may run out of water or be shut down early. All runners within the pacing guidelines of an event should be guaranteed the same level of support as everyone else. But that’s a discussion for another time.

As to the examples of hydration stations running out or not being manned, those can certainly happen. Unless the race is terribly mismanaged, though, they are typically isolated issues. Water stations are generally set up every 1.5-2 miles, in my experience. During my training, I routinely run up to 6 miles without hydration in high temperatures and up to 10 miles without in cooler temperatures. Due to this, a missing hydration station or even two isn’t going to impact me significantly.

Again, none of this is a criticism of anyone’s decision to carry their own hydration. It’s just an attempt to explain why I, and many other racers, don’t find it as critical to carry our own during typical races.

This feels like not a bad time to mention that rD race courses go through parks. Parks have water fountains, rest rooms, and vending machines, plus restaurants and carts when parks open to the public. I'm not sure any other race location offers as many opportunities to hydrate, whether you carry your own and need to replenish or not. Hydration is one thing I've never worried about at WDW races, even as a back of the packer!

I carry GU packs in my pockets, and for the last couple of marathons, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or two. That is plenty of extra weight and bulk, and I have never even considered carrying water as well. I ran a race last month (10 mile) where they distributed collapsible cups at the start and volunteers poured/splashed water into your cup at the aid stations. That might not work for a huge race, but was great for a couple of hundred runners. Impossible is a big word, but I would say that it is impossible that runDisney would have a race over 5K and not provide water in some fashion. At this years Disney marathon, there seemed to be an aid station at least every 2 miles; that was probably more than they needed even in the heat. Biofreeze comes in single use packets and I think that folks who think they might need it could carry a few packets with them as well. I have also heard horror stories of races running out of water, but it's never happened to me.

Last edited:
I ran 2017 Star Wars Dark Side and started in the last corral. At the first water stop, they were completely out. I don't know if the heat warning that morning caused runners to be extra nervous and take more or if my timing was just really bad. Thankfully that was the only stop that happened. Nevertheless, that one experience reminded me why I always carry hydration and fuel. And sometimes my throat can become extremely dry especially in the mornings so hydration whenever I need it even if it's just to wet my throat is necessary for me. In the end I think it is very important for each runner to know what works best for them and how their body will respond to races, conditions, et all.

I ran 2017 Star Wars Dark Side and started in the last corral. At the first water stop, they were completely out. I don't know if the heat warning that morning caused runners to be extra nervous and take more or if my timing was just really bad. Thankfully that was the only stop that happened. Nevertheless, that one experience reminded me why I always carry hydration and fuel. And sometimes my throat can become extremely dry especially in the mornings so hydration whenever I need it even if it's just to wet my throat is necessary for me. In the end I think it is very important for each runner to know what works best for them and how their body will respond to races, conditions, et all.

Yep. I have always carried my own water and gu/chews/gummy bears (depends on what I want most during training). After 2014 I got little packets of BioFreeze to carry as well. It had gotten warm during the 2014 Marathon and apparently a lot of people were grabbing BioFreeze to help cool themselves off so that the First Aid stop before ESPN AND the one after it were completely out - and myself and several others needed it for muscles had to keep going with only tylenol given to us. Thankfully the one as you entered the Boardwalk area had some and we all stopped and slathered, not worrying about modesty.

Last edited:
So just to add info on what other groups are thinking. Atlanta Track Club which does the big peachtree road race just sent out a new email today with some FAQs in it. This is the one that is revelant to this group. This is how they are looking at 2021. "registration period" in this context is normally in march with march 31st being the cutoff. Not saying rundisney will take the same stance but this is the first I'm seen a race director talk about thoughts for 2021.

Q: What about 2021?
A:
“The assumption that the Atlanta Track Club is making right now is (that) in-person endurance events will continue to be challenged into the first quarter of 2021,” Kenah said. “But by registration period next year, and by July 4, we hope and believe that the reality on the ground here in Atlanta will allow us to return to the tradition that everyone knows and loves.”

So just to add info on what other groups are thinking. Atlanta Track Club which does the big peachtree road race just sent out a new email today with some FAQs in it. This is the one that is revelant to this group. This is how they are looking at 2021. "registration period" in this context is normally in march with march 31st being the cutoff. Not saying rundisney will take the same stance but this is the first I'm seen a race director talk about thoughts for 2021.

Q: What about 2021?
A:
“The assumption that the Atlanta Track Club is making right now is (that) in-person endurance events will continue to be challenged into the first quarter of 2021,” Kenah said. “But by registration period next year, and by July 4, we hope and believe that the reality on the ground here in Atlanta will allow us to return to the tradition that everyone knows and loves.”

Key word: ASSUMPTION

There has never been anything written in stone, all previous races have been planned on an assumption of being able to proceed despite possibility of bad weather/natural disaster/terrorist attack/political instability/pandemic.

Like most things in life, you need to always have a plan to work towards and the flexibility to change when conditions aren't what you expected.

Personally, I think Atlantic Track Club's assumptions are reasonable based on the currently available information.

Of course. Everything right now is assumptions. Businesses and organizations though need to make assumptions right now on when they can resume "normal" operations. I was just posting what ATC is looking at right now and it isn't something I really wanted to hear since it means there is a good chance the Atlanta Marathon in Feb won't happen (though no official word just yet on that one). Assumptions by a group like ATC though do matter. They are a major running club in the US.

Just passing along information I saw since we are all wondering about when rundisney will be able to do another race. I hope it's January but I also know what I think is likely too. We'll see what happens.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what’s the first Disney activity you’d do if COVID and it’s related restrictions disappeared tomorrow?

Taking my current level of training into consideration, I’d want to do a 10K with the Goof Troop Roving Road Party followed by parking lot beers followed by DATW.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone.

SAFD:
I would get out of this chair, tell the family to pack a bag and hop the first flight to MCO and go on a Family Disney Vacation. Hitting all our favorite rides, eat all our favorite treats and meals, and take in the sights, sounds an smells of a crowded and bustling DW! The family has not been there in almost a year and we have no plans to go until (at the soonest) summer of 2021. That is just not right!

SAFD;
I was supposed to be going to Disneyland for the first time ever over the Labor Day weekend, tying into a Yosemite trip. If Covid-19 were to disappear tomorrow, I'd call up right away to get my Grand Californian reservation back!

Failing that, I would immediately book a week stay at Aulani in December as there will never be another year that I'll still have 2 weeks worth of vacation time left so late in the year.

Of course. Everything right now is assumptions. Businesses and organizations though need to make assumptions right now on when they can resume "normal" operations. I was just posting what ATC is looking at right now and it isn't something I really wanted to hear since it means there is a good chance the Atlanta Marathon in Feb won't happen (though no official word just yet on that one). Assumptions by a group like ATC though do matter. They are a major running club in the US.

Just passing along information I saw since we are all wondering about when rundisney will be able to do another race. I hope it's January but I also know what I think is likely too. We'll see what happens.
Looking at when the Wine and Dine race was cancelled, it was 15 weeks before it was scheduled to take place. If Disney uses the same time frame the earliest time that we may see cancelling the marathon weekend would be about Sept 23 (my thinking).

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what’s the first Disney activity you’d do if COVID and it’s related restrictions disappeared tomorrow?

Taking my current level of training into consideration, I’d want to do a 10K with the Goof Troop Roving Road Party followed by parking lot beers followed by DATW.

Rogue Two checking in! :) :)

in addition to the above, I’d attend the first night Victoria & Albert's reopens to visit our friends who work there and enjoy a great 5-hour long meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter