Marathon Weekend 2021

I had seen when Marine Corps was planning on still happening that they were going to cut water stops which immediately I thought that just isn’t feasible at WDW. After last year’s heat for the marathon, Disney couldn’t possibly be thinking they can cut back on water stops.

but on a more positive note, my absolute favorite Disney race was the marathon weekend half marathon that got cancelled a few years ago. That one more than any other really felt like just wonderful magic. And I didn’t have to roll out of bed for it till 6am!

I had seen when Marine Corps was planning on still happening that they were going to cut water stops which immediately I thought that just isn’t feasible at WDW. After last year’s heat for the marathon, Disney couldn’t possibly be thinking they can cut back on water stops.

I don't think no water stops and/or asking running to bring their own hydration is workable for a disney race. Re-working the water stations such as all bottelled water, spreading tables out more, and possibly even an assigned table based on the last 2 digits of your bib are all things that are very possible.

I ran a 10 mile race today, but I think I just missed POT. My friend Eric got his proof of time with a finish of 1:40:xx (not sure the exact).

My final time was 2:01:40. It was a hilly course and a very rainy day. I think a flatter course would have gotten me closer to POT.
I did a 10 miler yesterday. I wonder if we were at the same race because it was also hilly and rainy. It was so nice to be at a real race! I was super impressed with the modifications to keep everyone safe, especially with about 600 runners participating. They proved that it can be done.

Last edited:
SAFD: This is a tough one, but I think I’ll go with Japan. The koi pond can be a nice, shaded oasis of calm to take a break from the heat and crowded bustle of the park. I find it soothing and relaxing. The Mitsukoshi store is also a wealth of enjoyable memories, from “finding” pearls with my daughters when they were younger, to reminders of watching My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service and Pokémon with them, even all the way back to the feel of the department stores when I spent 2 months in Japan in college.

SAFD: This is tough, because you can immerse yourself so completely in each one, and then go to the next and do the same. I’m going to have to choose Morocco, for the three excellent restaurants and the great atmosphere. The cast members do a fantastic job of transporting you from central Florida to north Africa while you wander through the pavilion.

I did a 10 miler yesterday. I wonder if we were at the same race because it was also hilly and rainy. It was so nice to be at a real race! I was super impressed with the modifications to keep everyone safe, especially with about 600 runners participating. They proved that it can be done.

I bet it was the same race! The one around Lake Massabessic in New Hampshire?

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite World Showcase pavilion and why?

This is a tough one... I love them all for different reasons! But for now I’m gonna say the UK. I love going to the pub for a pint because it reminds me of my study abroad. I also love the shops and the details from Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh hidden around it.

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite World Showcase pavilion and why?
It’s so hard to choose just one! I like Frozen in Norway, Les Halles in France, Mitsukoshi in Japan, British Invasion or British Revolution and shopping in the UK, and the restrooms in America...

But, I am going to choose Mexico for cheese empanadas and margaritas at Cantina de San Angel, Gran Fiesta Tour, more margaritas with chips and guacamole at La Cava, and an air conditioned pyramid with Coco theming!

@lhermiston, you’ve got to give us your answer!

I wanted to get the question out first. I didn’t have a readily available answer when I posted. It’s a tough call.

I’m a bit of a homer for the American Pavilion. I liked the food and drink selections. Nothing fancy, but it’s consistent and reliable.

My fondest memories are in the UK pavilion from MW2020 -Irish car bombs, the band, the mob of RunDisney all stars putting the fear into Mary Poppins, watching fireworks with some of my favorite people).

Mexico gets points for nachos and margaritas. Italy gets points because I took my favorite illuminations pictures from there.

But if I have to pick one, I’m probably going Japan. I love the theming, the Torii Gate and I definitely want to eat there more.

SAFD:

Mexaporoccance?

Can’t pick one from Mexico (Gran Fiesta Tour), Japan (Mitsukoshi), Morocco (Marrakech, Spice Road Table, Tangierine Cafe), and France (Les Halles, Impressions de France). I don’t drink alcohol so that doesn’t factor into preferences. I also have to admit that I’ve never spent a ton of time in Canada, UK, Italy, or America.

America is by far the least interesting for me and is purely a pass through; I barely even register that it’s part of world showcase. I’m not sure why Italy isn’t a favorite. I have enjoyed the couple of meals I’ve had at Via Napoli but we never spend much time in the area. Canada and UK are victims of location. Most of the time we start in Mexico and burn out by the finish, when we come in the other way I’m usually excited to get to Les Halles for breakfast, and if we use the International Gateway we veer toward France as well.

This is just reminding me how much I miss a lazy day walking around World Showcase.

This is tough, but I’d pick UK. I love the quieter back part of the pavilion, the shops, the Rose & Crown, getting a pint and watching the British Revolution and the red phone booths. And in earlier times, the street theater troupe for entertainment and being able to buy cigars in their shops.

SAFD: another vote for Japan! Mitsukoshi is amazing - I love wandering around in there. There are some nice peaceful quiet spots in the back of the pavillion, and the restaurants are fantastic - I love getting a window seat with one of the best views in Epcot.
I miss the candy sculpture lady - I don't think she is there anymore? She was incredible!
I do wish they would add a film or something like what France has, about the history of Japan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter