• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2021

That would be very odd. The TAs have been very clear that they no longer get an individual allocation of bibs. They all draw from the same pool of bibs and once they’re gone they’re gone. I’d be interested to know what was different about this TA that still has availability.
i'm not sure that is true ... my TA never said such a thing, rather that she had an allotment. I guess things could have changed, but I know I was guaranteed a spot simply because I was first in her line (or near the top), so she knew already how many she had allocated. I'm probably rambling nonsensically here, but I guess I just wanted to say I'm surprised that they would be in a "pool" with other TAs.

That would be very odd. The TAs have been very clear that they no longer get an individual allocation of bibs. They all draw from the same pool of bibs and once they’re gone they’re gone. I’d be interested to know what was different about this TA that still has availability.
According to a TA I spoke with. The rule to pull from the same pool started last Sunday. So TAs had their individual pools or allotments before that and this one says they got to keep what they hadn’t fulfilled yet. I cannot confirm current counts for all races as I’m not a TA, but I got into Dopey this morning and gave up my spot with the TA so another could use it.

Since I’m pretty sure most people here appreciate a good dog post...
I adopted a new running partner. He’s let it be known that his “partnership” ends when the running begins, but he’s great at snuggling when I get home. 👍. Here’s Gaston!

Attachments

• 4D708912-339F-4FF4-A0A1-4989CB53E417.jpeg
    4D708912-339F-4FF4-A0A1-4989CB53E417.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 46

Question on the races. RunDisney list awards for the various age groups and sex. What is the award, a paper award that you print out? I don't want to push training unless the "trophy" is worth it. Thanks
Winners get a mickey statue trophy. Any age group placements get a small-medium sized plaque with the race, age group, and place in that age group on it.

Here's a picture of an age group award @rteetz is referring to from the 2020 Marathon (@dtrain's award):

https://www.disboards.com/threads/marathon-weekend-2020.3729134/post-61646925
I was unable to find a picture of the winner's statue.

Train ? We need to train ??:eek:
This will be my first Run Disney event also.
I hope registering for this keeps me motivated throughout the year.
Trying to get my daily steps in has been a challenge through this quarantine, especially since we've had unusually chilly and wet May weather. I've worn a track in the downstairs carpet, as I pace during many of my conference calls:goodvibes

ET:darth:

I need to train as I can only slow jog about 1 mile. My DH and DD however are good. My DD is a cross country and distance track runner. It was her idea to do this race!

Phew! Managed to get in for the Half!! Very excited to have something to keep myself motivated - especially with OrangeTheory still being closed!
Do you find Orange Theory helps? I’m curious about how it can help. I have considered it before.

I adopted a new running partner. He’s let it be known that his “partnership” ends when the running begins, but he’s great at snuggling when I get home. 👍. Here’s Gaston!
Super cute! I worry I would be stuck snuggling and not be motivated to run with such a cute buddy.

I think a lot is going to depend on how some of the big fall races go. Like I said a few weeks ago I don't think rundisney is going to set a trend but follow what places like BAA, ATC, NYCRR do. So I think they are going to see how boston marathon, New york marathon, obviously their own W&D, and the peachtree road race go and what changes are made to those and then make decisions from there. So makes sense to cap it for now and watch in the fall and go from there. There are still no guarantees boston, new york, etc. are going to happen.

Yeah, I’m still of the opinion that the least likely scenario is that the Weekend will go on with only registrations so far. It will either be safe (and they will open up more spots later) or it won’t (and they will cancel the Weekend). If the Marathon isn’t safe for 20,000 I can’t see how they will justify that it’s safe for 10,000 or 5000 or 1000.:confused3

I completely understand rD getting some registration done and having the income available from those registrations as a business plan.

Yeah, I’m still of the opinion that the least likely scenario is that the Weekend will go on with only registrations so far. It will either be safe (and they will open up more spots later) or it won’t (and they will cancel the Weekend). If the Marathon isn’t safe for 20,000 I can’t see how they will justify that it’s safe for 10,000 or 5000 or 1000.:confused3

I completely understand rD getting some registration done and having the income available from those registrations as a business plan.

I diagree. Fewer people and you can have more corrals and maybe larger spacing between corrals and be able to spread people out more. If you took 10000 and released them in the same total time they normally do 20-25000 they will be spread out a good bit more then normal which makes a difference.

Gaston is the perfect name for this handsome beast! Thank you for adopting. <3

Do you find Orange Theory helps? I’m curious about how it can help. I have considered it before.

It's been pretty much exclusively what I've done for 18 months now. After Goofy 2015 (and Ottawa Half because the airfare and hotel were already paid) I took a break from running (run/walking) because it just wasn't fun. I needed a break. Went to TaeKwonDo for a bit until it became clear I could not NOT spar, and I don't like sparring. Found OrangeTheory and have fallen in love with it.

Of course now it's closed, AND I have frozen shoulder so I couldn't do all the arm stuff anyway (some with modifications). That plus I'd been "jog curious" there for a couple of months - sprinkling in some jogging with power walking. And getting "homesick" for Disney...it all was the perfect storm for me to get bit just in time to sign up!

i'm not sure that is true ... my TA never said such a thing, rather that she had an allotment. I guess things could have changed, but I know I was guaranteed a spot simply because I was first in her line (or near the top), so she knew already how many she had allocated. I'm probably rambling nonsensically here, but I guess I just wanted to say I'm surprised that they would be in a "pool" with other TAs.
According to a TA I spoke with. The rule to pull from the same pool started last Sunday. So TAs had their individual pools or allotments before that and this one says they got to keep what they hadn’t fulfilled yet. I cannot confirm current counts for all races as I’m not a TA, but I got into Dopey this morning and gave up my spot with the TA so another could use it.

Unless they implemented things differently for different race weekends, I’m sure the policy was changed before last Sunday. I was late to the TA party for W&D registration and was told that the pool had sold out for the challenge and 5k but that the TAs were expecting RunDisney to allocate them additional bibs (they did). They were also very clear that committing to them was time critical as the TAs had to call RunDisney and pay for the bibs in order to guarantee them and that there was a risk of other TAs calling in an order and depleting the supply before they could get yours booked.

The allocation of the bib pool is also consistent with what the TAs wanted after the debacle a couple of years ago when races weren’t selling out as quickly. TAs were required to purchase their bib allotment individually from RunDisney. When the races (mostly MW and SWRR) didn’t sell well, the TAs were forced into fire sales to recoup what they could as the race weekends approached and took pretty significant financial hits. The bib pool approach protected them from that risk while still allowing rD to sell packages through them. Any unsold TA bibs could just go into the general registration pool.

Very odd that different TAs are telling different stories on this.

ETA: I did my MW and W&D bookings through different TAs and there have also been multiple TAs on FB reporting that there is a pool, so once one TA is out, they’re all out. So it’s not just one rogue report.

I diagree. Fewer people and you can have more corrals and maybe larger spacing between corrals and be able to spread people out more. If you took 10000 and released them in the same total time they normally do 20-25000 they will be spread out a good bit more then normal which makes a difference.

There are a lot of places in all 4 Marathon Weekend distances where people are bottlenecked, shoulder to shoulder, and not necessarily able to advance at their own pace. I don’t know how many fewer runners there would need to be to avoid those things, but it seems significant. Not to mention heavier breathing, sweat and fatigue as factors limiting people’s ability to distance while running.

Not looking for an argument though. We’re all hoping the Weekend goes on as planned in a safe and fun manner. If that happens I won’t have any quibbles about how it happens.:figment:

I was able to get into 10k last week during ap registration, but was gonna have some friends sign up for 5k (me as well) and would make a trip out of it since we were supposed to be there for star wars run.

Well all of us were shut out of the 5k. Thankfully we're still gonna do a trip in Feb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter