Marathon Weekend 2021

We're still working on the assumption that Marathon Weekend will go on in January. So, for this week's Sundays are for Disney, what are your goals for Marathon Weekend? For first timers, these can be - but don't have to be - related to race performance, but can also relate to other aspects of Marathon Weekend. Some people set goals related to attending meetups, doing character stops or just their trip.

Pace my friend to a sub-2 half
Co-host HHHH
Three rides during the full
Three beers during the full

Off topic, but is anyone considering the NYC virtual (@rteetz, I know you are)? Does anyone know what time registration opens Tuesday? Any strategies for getting one of those first 1,000 spots that guarantee entry into a later, in-person race?

I know it's a long shot, but *someone* has to get those spots and one of them might as well be me.

SAFD: My goals for this race weekend aren’t really performance based. I know I can complete Dopey. I want to be able to have pre-race and HH meetups with the group to put faces to new names and to see familiar faces that will have reverted to being screen names for a year since the last Marathon Weekend. I want to celebrate everyone’s successes and efforts in a Monday DATW after it‘s all over. I don’t want this to be too much to ask.

This was supposed to be a 3 Disney race weekend year for me. Now 2 of those weekends are gone and I feel like this next opportunity is hanging by a thread. I try to be a positive person, but this is really starting to take a toll.

SAFD: My goal is to have a good race. Its just the marathon for me this year so I'm interested to see how long it will take me running on fresh legs. I would still like to stop for characters and ride Everest if possible. Please no weather like this year!!! Like others, I'm not entirely optimistic the weekend will happen so it doesn't exactly get me excited to start training. We are planning on coming down with our oldest and a trip to Universal after the marathon.

SAFD:
- train well enough to enjoy the race experience, and have enough energy and legs left over to get some park time in
- meet up with some of you amazing people

I haven't even taken the time to map out a training plan yet - I have been keeping up a pretty good fitness base so not super worried about it, but most years I have at least thought out some kind of training plan for MW by now. But I will continue to be optimistic!

Off topic, but is anyone considering the NYC virtual (@rteetz, I know you are)? Does anyone know what time registration opens Tuesday? Any strategies for getting one of those first 1,000 spots that guarantee entry into a later, in-person race?

I know it's a long shot, but *someone* has to get those spots and one of them might as well be me.

Pack your patience because the NYRR website will likely crash. And you'll probably be staring at a queue screen for a while.

I'm the planner, my DW is the runner. I'm the one who keeps her on her training schedule, she's the one who puts her feet together and does it.

When it comes to runDisney, we talk about accommodations and lodging. I let her know how much money everything will cost, and she (virtually) throws her half at me 😄

This past year has been difficult, as she hasn't been able to get to an organized run this year at all. Everything's been cancelled. Her last gasp race in late September just went virtual, so now, there's nothing left. She'll still run on her own.

So for SAFD,

1) hope her training, and finishing Dopey twice, already, well help pull her through a third time
2) me finish a a 5k with her

SAFD:

I will continue to believe MW is going to happen as Dopey is my main race this year and a launch pad to get back to the ultra distances I was running pre injury. If it is cancelled; well I will cross that bridge when I need to. My goals for MW 2021:

1) Going solo and cheap - gonna drive instead of fly; goal save money where I can.
2) Run each race faster than I did last year and set a new (post injury) Dopey PR.
3) Attend Hurricane Hannah’s, DATW and the pre-race meet ups.
4) Have fun!

SAFD:
My goals for MW 2021:
1) Going solo and cheap - gonna drive instead of fly; goal save money where I can.

I'm not sure where you are in Michigan, but if you anywhere near Chicago, and you do not have Covid-19 concerns about flying, then flying may be an option. United is currently $75 round trip in basic economy and $145 round trip in regular economy (both with no change fees) for Marathon Weekend (ORD-MCO). I booked it today. That is cheaper than gas.

I'm not sure where you are in Michigan, but if you anywhere near Chicago, and you do not have Covid-19 concerns about flying, then flying may be an option. United is currently $75 round trip in basic economy and $145 round trip in regular economy (both with no change fees) for Marathon Weekend (ORD-MCO). I booked it today. That is cheaper than gas.

Wow that is really cheap! I will have to take a look, thanks. My wife is not a fan of me flying but at that price it might be a good argumen.

Which 3 rides are you aiming for? Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror, and Rock n Roller Coaster?

Yes. I normally get in both ToT and RnRC without issue. Missed Everest last year by 5-10 minutes and skipped RnRC due to heat, time, and the Goof Troop Roving Road Party (TM) waiting for us at the beer stop.

I'm challenging you to figure out a way to meet or clear the bar set by Rogue Two this year.

Challenge accepted!

Pack your patience because the NYRR website will likely crash. And you'll probably be staring at a queue screen for a while.

So it's no different than registering for a Disney race :rolleyes1

SAFD:

Numbers 1-3: Have fun and be grateful that I am getting to run an organized race after so many cancelled races so far this year.
4 - Try to be extra kind to all cast members and volunteers that I interact with during our trip.
5 - Try to forget that 2020 was the year we were going to run all of the runDisney races 😂
6 - Try to be courageous enough to break through my shyness and attend a meet and greet of some sort. Probably not DATW, as neither me nor my wife drink.
7 - Repeat items 1-4.
8 - Finish another Dopey with my wife.

SAFD late to the party as ever!
I’d like to finish in the top 150, would need a pb of around 5 mins. I also want to make a conscious effort to get up early and support people for the half, I know what a big difference it makes when you’re running, so it would be good to give a little bit back. I’ll be in the boardwalk waving my race flag, dishing out the ‘power up’ fist bumps

SAFD:
Numbers 1-3: Have fun and be grateful that I am getting to run an organized race after so many cancelled races so far this year.
4 - Try to be extra kind to all cast members and volunteers that I interact with during our trip.
6 - Try to be courageous enough to break through my shyness and attend a meet and greet of some sort. Probably not DATW, as neither me nor my wife drink.
My favorites: have fun, be grateful, be kind, and be courageous!

BTW I don’t drink either, nor do some of the others, but the DATW group doesn’t care if you don’t. An occasional soda or bottle of water is good enough to keep you hydrated, and the group is so much fun to meet, and it lets us put names and faces to the anonymous user names. I’ll see you there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter