Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD: Training has been going pretty well! I have had a lot to balance between wedding planning, moving into a new house, and starting a new job 10 months ago. but I have only missed a few of my weekday runs overall. I have adjusted my training plan a bit to accommodate all my wedding festivities, and so that I dont have to do any crazy long runs while on my honeymoon! I hit 22 miles for the first time this past Friday. I felt pretty good - just some very sore feet at the end and my hips were a little sore for about a day. Feeling excited for January!

SAFD: Good training. Ran W&D Challenge and got home from WDW on Thursday night. Did 4.5 miles on Friday, then 20 miles on Saturday at about 12:15 pace. Run/walk was 30:45, and splits remained fairly even throughout. Not much soreness afterward.

SAFD: I am slogging through training. i knew life was going to get in the way for this training plan so I was not planning anything special for this marathon except to have fun and finish uninjured. Boy has life gotten in the way. I knew before signing up life was going to throw at me no mallory (dog), a remodel that took my kitchen away (adding stress and pounds), and a vacation. What i did not expect was to start training right after a bout with covid, a bum knee while getting therapy and still running it has slowed me down and still not 100%, and a dad that got sick and has been in and out of the hospital causing me to spend a lot more time at my folk's home. Knee is still angry with me but can run. Dad might finally be on the up swing. Kitchen well still seems no where close to being done. I was hoping the remodel would be done by Halloween, then thanksgiving, now i am hoping it is done before we head to disney.
Sorry for all the hardships. Life sometimes hits you with everything at once. Glad Covid is gone, your Dad is improving, and hopefully your bum knee is getting stronger.
Membership in the Over 50 club is so annoying. But it beats the alternative.....
That said, as encouragement, I'm 55 and this will be my first Dopey and my second marathon.
Just wait until you are in the Medicare Club! This will be my 6th marathon and 5th Goofy, and I’ve done Dopey twice. I didn’t even start running until I was 58. My time is getting slower. Oh, well!

SAFD: Training is fine. Since my only goals are completing the Dopey Challenge with a smile, I'm on track to do that with no worries.

A story to cheer up the 50+ crowd (which includes me): I ran a marathon on Saturday and was passed by a runner who was, according to his shirt, 73 and running his 147th marathon. Actually, he passed me twice, because he stopped for a bathroom break, and then chased me down and passed me again. And I was even racing this one (got a BQ), and was still beat by 3:00+ by a 73yo! Impressive performance for any age, let alone at 73.

SAFD: Just getting going on the double long runs, so behind the curve of where I usually am. Also ran a fall marathon and am currently pregnant, which I usually don't have to deal with in my Dopey training. Ran all 3 WND races as a test run and that went well, I just noticed I took longer to recover from the weekend than I usually do. This will be my 6th Dopey so I'm confident I can complete it, but I think my PR days are behind me, at least for awhile. This will definitely be a "just for fun" race weekend.

SAFD: *knock on wood* Everything seems to be going well in training for my A race marathon in 2 weeks, so I'm tentatively positive that I'm in good shape for Goofy.

Currently in the taper, so 2nd guessing time goals, but I successfully got through 3 20 milers (including 1 the day after a 10 mile pace run) so I should be good to finish. I'll have 6 weeks between the marathon and Goofy, which will hopefully be enough time to recover.

SAFD: This training cycle is going really well. I've only missed one run on the day after I got my covid booster and flu shot in the same day 🤦‍♀️. The next three weeks will be interesting since I'll be traveling abroad and not quite sure about my running options. Plus, I'm currently at the doctor and he's just advised me that I shouldn't be running alone until we figure out why I had a major reaction during my run two weeks ago.

On a lighter note, I ran a 10 mile race last weekend since it was my best option to get a POT for the 2023 marathon. You can read more about that endeavor here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...ss-2023-disney-marathon.3595467/post-63538788

SAFD: Good training. Ran W&D Challenge and got home from WDW on Thursday night. Did 4.5 miles on Friday, then 20 miles on Saturday at about 12:15 pace. Run/walk was 30:45, and splits remained fairly even throughout. Not much soreness afterward.

Sorry for all the hardships. Life sometimes hits you with everything at once. Glad Covid is gone, your Dad is improving, and hopefully your bum knee is getting stronger.

Just wait until you are in the Medicare Club! This will be my 6th marathon and 5th Goofy, and I’ve done Dopey twice. I didn’t even start running until I was 58. My time is getting slower. Oh, well!
Excellent! I keep telling my kids and others that our bodies are "use it or lose it", so stay in shape and don't sit.

SAFD: Just getting going on the double long runs, so behind the curve of where I usually am. Also ran a fall marathon and am currently pregnant, which I usually don't have to deal with in my Dopey training. Ran all 3 WND races as a test run and that went well, I just noticed I took longer to recover from the weekend than I usually do. This will be my 6th Dopey so I'm confident I can complete it, but I think my PR days are behind me, at least for awhile. This will definitely be a "just for fun" race weekend.
Now that's an interesting race if you wound up pregnant.....

;-)

SAFD: Ugh. Training was fine... until I brought back the "souvenir" of a really bad cold or the flu from W&D. Negative for COVID, so there's that, at least. But my lungs are a mess and I'm feeling pretty unsure about the 3/9/18 b2b2b I have planned this weekend. I have two more b2b2b2b's after that, so it wouldn't be awful to miss this one... except that I also had to switch to an entirely different shoe this late in the game, and that shoe is yet untested beyond 9 miles, let alone b2b long runs. Just hoping my lungs improve quickly this week, but if I have to, I can just run less and walk more to help them out.

Overall, this has been my hardest Dopey training yet. I joined the Over 50 Club and I swear, it's like my body deteriorated overnight! I feel pretty sure this might be my last Dopey, and maybe my last marathon, too. So I'd like to end on a high note, if I can.
Membership in the Over 50 club is so annoying. But it beats the alternative.....
That said, as encouragement, I'm 55 and this will be my first Dopey and my second marathon.
Do the walk/runs and finish the race. You'll still be ahead of many, and waaaaaay ahead of all those who never run the races.

My wife brought that same souvenir home from W&D, luckily she didnt share and is better now.
I was very happy to join the 50s club a couple months ago, now I feel like I'm supposed to have all these aches and pains I've had for the last few years.

I take it back. Everything *had* been going fine and then this week hit and I don't want to run. At all. Uuuugh.

Hang in there! I go through a down patch every year when the time change hits and temps start to fall. It just gets to be so hard to head out to run in the dark and (comparatively) cold. The best I can suggest is to push through it. Get out there and get those scheduled runs in and it’ll even out and get back to normal pretty quickly.

Hardest part about training so far isn't running the miles... it's everything after the weekend long runs... laundry, groceries, kids sporting events, family get-togethers, etc. There is no pause button for all that!

I’ve made that sort of stuff - plus mowing, raking, shoveling snow, etc. - part of my training for every Disney race. I wanted to condition my body to be able to hit the parks after the races. It’s worked pretty well.

I’ve made that sort of stuff - plus mowing, raking, shoveling snow, etc. - part of my training for every Disney race. I wanted to condition my body to be able to hit the parks after the races. It’s worked pretty well.

That's a great way to approach it! I'll try to think like that the next time I'm shuffling through the grocery store!... or maybe I should just get groceries delivered. :rotfl:

If you start to feel a slight burn stop immediately. Rest and very light stretch to assess.
Thank you for that. I always struggle to find balance between slowing down or outright taking the day off to reduce injury risk and the necessity of realizing that if I'm not careful, I'll rest today and run tomorrow has turned into I'll run tomorrow for 3 weeks and my fitness is gone.

I was listening to a podcast with Shalane Flanagan last night and she said there are times she doesn’t want to get out there, but then starting the run actually gives you the motivation. I did not feel like running today but made myself remember that.

I’ve been doing the Peloton marathon training program and I’ve found the 10min warm-ups plus an additional 10min warm-up in the actual workout always changes my attitude and I end up having very productive runs, even on days that I say I’m only going to log the time and not do the tempo. Gotta remember those feel good feelings for my next run!!

SAFD:

Training is going as well as can be expected. I had a medial issue in early September that have forced me to change my running style. No longer are my runs based on time and pace, they are now based on time and HR. I have modified my training plans to be a similar time as last year, but had to significantly reduce the pace.

This year is all about being thankful for being above ground and able to cross the finish.

..and yes, part of the 50+ club!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter