Marathon Weekend 2022

Add me to the struggling group. Injured myself, again, on Halloween and it took months to heal (still having lingering issues). Did my first 5k race May 1st, with more than 300 feet of elevation gain during it, and that really drove home my lack of training. I have training mapped out, but actually executing it -getting out the door - is my stumbling point.

Another late SAFD. I'm just 3 weeks into a @DopeyBadger plan designed to enable me to run 2 slow ultras (at least my pace was to be slow) this summer and a marathon in October. Although the plan was fantastic, I have developed a chronic IT band issue this spring that has derailed any attempt to accomplish the plan. I have decided not to run either ultra and focus on the October marathon (which will be on my 64th birthday). If everything falls into place, I'll run my first Dopey (I've run 4 rD HMs and 1 rD marathon) in January.

This is the first injury of any kind in my 5 years of running, and I am hoping to return to a modified training plan in another 3 weeks. As I told Billy, at least my physical therapist will be happy.

Now that the NYC marathon will be happening with reduced capacity in November of this year, does that increase the odds Disney will host their annual marathon in January of 2022?

Now that the NYC marathon will be happening with reduced capacity in November of this year, does that increase the odds Disney will host their annual marathon in January of 2022?
I hope so. There is an active discussion on the thread "Future run Disney Events" events which has recently been within a thread or two of this one.

Come on rundisney, announce something either way before the Marathon Weekend 7 month window opens for DVC....

I don't want to borrow points for something that may not happen.
I’m hoping...
We’ve already booked what should be MW and might have a points problem if it doesn’t happen. Or I guess we just go anyways...

SAFD: Currently finishing up a DopeyBadger base building plan in preparation for a September half, virtual Boston in Oct, and hopefully (*finger and toes crossed*), in person Dopey! Things are going well. I'm feeling strong and have learned how to run slow! I need to do some more work on strength training and diet, so that's my goal for the summer.

SAFD: I am about to hit one year with mostly ~70 miles/wk. It has been good for my performance, with several PRs and an age group first place in a tough 50k(still recovering from this one). Unlike others, I prefer to run once a day. I have also been doing core/strength training twice a week, which I think has helped as much as the increased mileage.

Currently planning for a 60k in July, a 100 miler in August, a 180 mile 2 day bike ride in October, a 100 mile race in December and Dopey in January 2022. There will probably be a handful of shorter races mixed in during that time.

@NewYKRunner The Calgary marathon may be a good one for my Canadian wife :)

@Baloo in MI Sorry to hear you are going to have to opt out of your 100 miler, but it sounds like a sensible decision.

@michigandergirl Your definition of fun sounds spot on to me.

It does increase the chances but I still think they are low. They haven't brought back rundisney people from furlough and it takes time to plan a race and work with all the different disney departments to coordinate and a lot of those departments may have new people who haven't dealt with rundisney before.

The fact rundisney has to deal with so many sections of disney to make it work works to their detriment. I SO want marathon weekend to happen but marathon by its nature requires so many more resources then other races makes me not think they will start with that.

I'm still thinking whatever relpaces star wars is next in person race and if so I'm there. If marathon weekend is next race I'm there.

@Baloo in MI Sorry to hear you are going to have to opt out of your 100 miler, but it sounds like a sensible decision.
Thanks. I am not sure what it is about this race but three years ago I set my sites on the 100 Miler and promptly blew out my perineal tendon and lost a year. Start building back set my sights on it again and in less than a month of declaring the plan got COVID...

I am feeling better and running a little more, but much too far behind the training plan. When I finally do run my first 100 I want to feel secure in my preparation and get there injury free. I will earn that buckle eventually though!

Finally joining in here after lurking for a while!

SAFD: I am finally getting back to running. 10 days after I ran my WDW virtual half in January, I got a stress fracture in the neck of my femur. 100% do not recommend. I graduated from the Alter G treadmill at PT today. My plan is to gradually build up miles and hopefully build enough of a base to run a 13.1 in September or October. If MW happens, I will be very happy to complete the half! No more marathon training for me for a while after a year with two serious injuries...

Finally joining in here after lurking for a while!

SAFD: I am finally getting back to running. 10 days after I ran my WDW virtual half in January, I got a stress fracture in the neck of my femur. 100% do not recommend. I graduated from the Alter G treadmill at PT today. My plan is to gradually build up miles and hopefully build enough of a base to run a 13.1 in September or October. If MW happens, I will be very happy to complete the half! No more marathon training for me for a while after a year with two serious injuries...
Welcome! Here is to a continued recovery process. Injuries suck!

Well, there was . . .
The mods pretty quickly shut down threads that veer off into pro and anti mask and political debates. This happens frequently in the Rumor and News section. I thought the Future run Disney Events thread had a lot of good insight. Unfortunately a few folks who just cannot keep their mask opinions to themselves got the entire thread shut down.

Mods....can you just delete the few offending posts and keep the Future run Disney Events thread alive?

Last edited:
The mods pretty quickly shut down threads that veer off into pro and anti mask and political debates. This happens frequently in the Rumor and News section. I thought the Future run Disney Events thread had a lot of good insight. Unfortunately a few folks who just cannot keep their mask opinions to themselves got the entire thread shut down.

Now what thread will I compulsively refresh every five seconds, 24/7, in fervent hopes for an update?!?!? :surfweb:

Mods....can you just delete the few offending posts and keep the Future run Disney Events thread alive?

It might be easier just to start a new thread on the topic. Maybe with a warning to stay focused on RunDisney events to avoid it being shutdown.

That was a really quick lock, I feel like they could have just deleted the offending posts and nobody would have noticed. In any case, it's not like there's been much development from the RD side, and I feel like we'll hear something in the next month so hopefully that'll be the time to start a new thread on this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter