Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD: I am Jamie. I live just outside Meridian, MS with my husband of fifteen years and our two daughters, ages twelve and almost four. I work at a lawn and garden dealer where I do everything from bookkeeping to parts to sales. I am also working on a bachelor's degree in accounting. I love to read, ride motorcycles, run, and all things Disney. I hope to make my first Run Disney trip in 2023. It just keeps getting pushed back. I'll add a picture for the cat team. This is Eskimo, he is a two year old blue mitted ragdoll and a total sweetheart who will play fetch just like a dog. IMG_20201220_120616333~3.jpg

SAFD:

Name: Lauren
Where: Holly Springs, NC
What: Stay at home mom. Also a substitute teacher and travel agent but 2020 was really the year for either of those.
Family: Husband of 13 years and 3 kids (9, 7, and 7)
Hobbies: Disney, running, podcasts, reading, falling asleep to anything the husband and I attempt to watch after the kids have gone to bed.

Here is our dog Sully. Pretty sure he is the only one in the house that loved everything about 2020.
140187667_427101355158033_648751757313249799_n.jpg

SAFD:

Name: Alex
Where: NJ
What: Manufacturing Engineer
Family: A cat and 2 dogs. More on that later.
Hobbies: Disney, Running, Reading (mixture of sci-fi, fantasy and non-fiction, currently reading Martha Gellhorn's The Face of War and when that gets too depressing switching to The National Parks by Dayton Duncan and Ken Burns ), Travel and Musical Theatre.

Now what everyone is really looking for!
The favorite child Lily, who hasn't been to Disney.

And the two trouble-makers, Penny and Icarus, who have been to Disney and got to spend one night at AoA. Just out of frame is a bounty platter from the food court that they were hoping would drop on the ground.

SAFD:
Name:
Kerry
Where I Live: Chicago northern burbs
Family: Wife (+2 grown children on their own)
What I Do: Recently retired from my own international healthcare planning firm working mostly in the Middle East. Now volunteer for an international Christian school organization.
Interests: Trail running. traveling, beer & bourbon, reading (military history, biographies, political thrillers)

Hi all, joining a bit late.

I’m Erik. I live in Nebraska with my wife of16 years. We have 1 daughter.

I work as a business analyst.

hobbies mainly include chasing the young one around, doing what she wants, haha. I prefer to play golf, watch sports or movies either in person or at home, as well as concerts.

no 4 legged pets, but I do have some swimmers!
3614E269-EA21-4A32-B15D-3CF0CA951735.jpeg

Heading for a two day staycation at Caribbean Beach to enjoy this beautiful Florida weather we are having! Will be doing a 5K there tomorrow morning with a friend! Hope you all have a great day, will find the SAFD when I get back! That was a fast week!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! There are hot waffles fresh off my Mickey waffle maker, so you know what that means ... welcome to another edition of Sundays are for Disney!

For this week's SAFD, how did you come to runDisney and what's been your experience with it so far? (Also, newcomers please feel free to keep answering the "get to know you" question from last week.)

I had never heard of Marathon Weekend or runDisney until I learned about the runDisney New Balance shoes (RIP). I found something about them online and really wanted a pair. That's when I learned they were sold at the MW expo. It turns out my ex-wife's cousin and her husband had done Marathon Weekend before. I learned about the Goofy Challenge, which was somethin they had attempted.

This was ca. 2015 or about the time in my running career I was approaching the half marathon distance. After completing my first half in October 2015, I set my sights on doing a marathon. Figuring I'd be one and done, I signed up for the 2017 Disney Marathon in spring 2016. I ran the marathon solo, fell in love with runDisney and the rest is history.

I returned for Dopey in 2019 and the 10K and Goofy Challenge in 2020. I don't know when my next MW will be, but I know I'm far from done.

Still wish I got a pair of those shoes, though...

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

For this week's SAFD, how did you come to runDisney and what's been your experience with it so far? (Also, newcomers please feel free to keep answering the "get to know you" question from last week.)

My wife loves Disney. After I finished my first ill-advised marathon in 2012, I swore off marathons forever. Steph tried to convince me to sign up for the Disney marathon (because she wanted to go to Disney). I said nope. Then she read about the Goofy Challenge where you run a HM and then M. I wasn't convinced. I didn't want to run a marathon again, why would I do one with a HM the day prior??? Then in April 2013 runDisney announced the Dopey Challenge (4 races, 4 days). And I was like, well NOW that's something I can get on board with. Trust me, it didn't make any logical sense. But I signed up and partook. I loved the Dopey Challenge. It seemed like something right in my wheelhouse and it just felt like my "olympics" because of the multi-day nature of competitive racing. On the bus home from the M, I saw someone with a different lanyard and he explained he was a perfect marathoner. So it peaked my interest to try and become a perfect Dopey. It wasn't something I could keep up financially. I'm thankful for runDisney because it pushed me back into marathon running and has been a great experience all around. I've done 5 Dopeys and 1 solo Disney M.

SAFD:

I think I first heard about RunDisney through an ad in Runners World (back in the days when we read magazines). My wife and I were already Disney World fans and I was an adult onset runner using races (primarily the Peachtree RR) as an excuse to get together with my brother, who had also started running.

We had recently done a HM (Chicago) and I convinced him to try the marathon with me. I figured it would be 1 and done and couldn't think of a better place than WDW. My wife and two DDs (at the time) could come to cheer and as it turns out, so did my Mom and my MIL. That was 2008. Like many other things at Disney, it was love at first sight and I was hooked (and a link between Disney and my wallet was created).

Including that first MW, I've now done 6 MWs (2008, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2019 (5-K/10-K only) & 2020) including Goofy and Dopey once each. Only non-MW RunDisney event I have done was the old Race for the Taste 10-K in 2008. Was supposed to do Star Wars last year and this year, but alas, we all know how that story ends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter