Marathon Weekend 2022

Have my flight down booked on Jan 5, but not scheduled to arrive until 3:30. Hope this isn't cutting it too close for the expo! Waiting for the next release for a flight back and to get flights for a trip in March.

If you’re running Dopey or the 5k, that’s going to be cutting it awfully close! Given the uncertainties in travel that time of year due to the weather coupled with the current situation, I wouldn’t be comfortable with that arrival time.

When does the expo close at night? My flights used to arrive at 9 am, so I was good, but they switched this past year and now it doesn't arrive until 3:30. I'd like to get the expo out of the way on the first day to avoid missing park time on following days! I'd go going to the expo on Thursday for my marathon bib.

In other news, I finally registered for the marathon! I forgot on Tuesday (flying home from vacation) and then was undecided about it. Then I saw Goofy sell out and figured I better get a move on!

So my best friend is coming along as the support crew for my Dopey runs. She is going to walk the 5K with me, but will be enduring the other three mornings as a spectator. Any thoughts on something that I could get her as a gift to help pass the time? I'm thinking a one day park ticket for marathon morning, but that's a bit pricey for just the morning (we will be heading back to Universal after the race). If they have the race retreat, is that open the whole time that the marathon is going on? In the past, for the half marathon, she met me in the Magic Kingdom and then headed back to Epcot, but I know that the wait will be A LOT longer for the marathon.

I'll be there without the family, so I'll be happy to join any meetups.
And, pardon the ignorance, what is the Goof Troop?

It is the (accurate) description for a group of runners from the thread that ran the marathon together in 2020, and are planning on doing it again in 2022. They can, have and will get into shenanigans while supporting each other during the race.

If they have the race retreat, is that open the whole time that the marathon is going on?

They replaced Race Retreat with Runner's Square in 2020 (link). This old post shows that Runner's Square for the 2021 Princess Weekend 10k was to be open 3:30-5:30 and 6:30-9:00 (link). So there's probably a time where it'll be closed during the marathon, but opens before too long. It also required a wrist band received at the expo according to the text from one of the links. So I don't know if Runner's Square was more of a runners only thing and whether your friend would even be eligible to be there. I'd say there's a lot of unknowns on that end. I also haven't seen anything on whether these things or something like it will be offered for 2020/2021.

In the past, for the half marathon, she met me in the Magic Kingdom and then headed back to Epcot, but I know that the wait will be A LOT longer for the marathon.

To be fair, at this point we don't even know if they'll do the whole Main Street crowd thing at all. Since they're leaving the whole spectators part up in the air. It remains to be seen.

Anyone else considering waiting for southwest to release fares for MW (which doesn’t happen until September 😬) ?

Dh is trying to figure out how to come with me so we can’t book anything until we figure out if we have someone to keep an eye on the 3 oldest kids or if I’m going solo....

Flights out of our local airport are creeping up from the $275pp range to the $333pp range and it’s making me antsy to book stuff.
We booked our flights into MCO on the afternoon of Wednesday the 5th since that day was open and just added that night at Hard Rock Universal. Since we are AP holders there we will spend Thursday morning at IoA then head to packet pickup before checking into the Boardwalk on Thursday afternoon. Prices on that Wednesday were higher than pre-covid normal but I expect these prices to be the new normal for a while.

I used to be able to find RT airfare from Louisiana for $200-$225 pretty regularly since like 2005 but I think $250-$275 will be the new standard for a while

Have my flight down booked on Jan 5, but not scheduled to arrive until 3:30. Hope this isn't cutting it too close for the expo!

You'll be fine..plenty of time

I have my flights to MCO booked for 1/5, but am anxious to get the return flights booked. Then the loooooong wait for Universal's passholder rates to come out for my hotel. (Yes, I'm staying on the dark side)
Same...we booked Hard Rock for one night for like $450 so hopefully the AP rate will save us some CASH!!!

Hi guys,

can anyone advice me please.

Im trying to sign up for the dopey challenge. i fill all details and get to the "Ready to pay" section and all it keeps saying is

There was an error processing your registration. Please reload the form and try again.

Ive been through this now at least half a dozen times. Im a UK resident, are they allowing people from outside the states to enter at this time?

i have tried to contact run disney (Although the form only allows a US or canadian address to be entered !)

Im just wondering if anyone else had any ideas why this might be failing. i just cant seem to book my spot

TIA

Have you tried using a different browser or incognito?
I have tried iPad, iPhone and my laptop. All keep saying the same. I can’t apply incognito because it requires my information to move on and I don’t know any Americans, so can’t even get someone on my behalf.
So frustrating I’m willing to take the $600 risk, if it’s not opened up by then, I lose, I understand that but not to be able to register at all and not even been told what the issue is is just killing me 😡😢

Hi guys,

can anyone advice me please.

Im trying to sign up for the dopey challenge. i fill all details and get to the "Ready to pay" section and all it keeps saying is

There was an error processing your registration. Please reload the form and try again.

Ive been through this now at least half a dozen times. Im a UK resident, are they allowing people from outside the states to enter at this time?

i have tried to contact run disney (Although the form only allows a US or canadian address to be entered !)

Im just wondering if anyone else had any ideas why this might be failing. i just cant seem to book my spot

TIA

Is it after you enter your payment info? I have had issues with international credit card payments (fraud alert rejection). Have had to call the CC company and tell them I'm using it for an international purchase.

There are no restrictions on who can register as far as I can see. Hope you get a good response from RunDisney.

I would suggest reaching out directly to runDusney. I hope they can help V and that things work out for you to get to do it.

When does the expo close at night? My flights used to arrive at 9 am, so I was good, but they switched this past year and now it doesn't arrive until 3:30. I'd like to get the expo out of the way on the first day to avoid missing park time on following days! I'd go going to the expo on Thursday for my marathon bib.

In other news, I finally registered for the marathon! I forgot on Tuesday (flying home from vacation) and then was undecided about it. Then I saw Goofy sell out and figured I better get a move on!

Coming from the western half of the US, I'm taking a redeye flight, landing at 6am! I did this for MW 2020 and it helped me to adjust more quickly to the wakeup times. I still won't hit the expo until early afternoon most likely, as I don't want to wait in those crazy lines. I'm willing to gamble that some merch may be gone.

It is the (accurate) description for a group of runners from the thread that ran the marathon together in 2020, and are planning on doing it again in 2022. They can, have and will get into shenanigans while supporting each other during the race.

There are also a few other groups forming and anyone is welcome to join any of them. If you're taking a bit of an easier pace, there are a few of us planning to run (or walk) together as the Not-So-Fast troop.

More of Andrew's Marginally Useful Running Knowledge

So many of these entries about first-time long distance race could have been written by me. So, some more thoughts:

- I never imagined running 6 miles until a bunch of co-workers kept carrying on about the Peachtree Road Race. So I trained up and did it the next year in under an hour (I was also 26 years younger...)
- A half?! Are you kidding? That's like finishing the 10K and running back to the start. But after a bunch of 10K's, I figured I could do it, trained up, and headed to WDW.
- A full?! Are you really kidding?! But there I was, 2 years later thinking I could do it, and just to sweeten the pot, doing it right after the half.
- I didn't set any records, but I did finish both races, and well ahead of the sweepers.
- If you go into the parks later or the next day, wear your medal(s), or at least the "biggest" one.
- As other's have mentioned, the sweepers don't start until the last running starts. And even if you can alternate jogging and a brisk walk, you'll be faster than 16 min/mile.
- When I did the Goofy, at the start of the race, I was sure that I had a broken bone in my foot. Nope. Just bottom of my feet hurting from the half. Have 2 pairs of running shoes.
- I will confess to under-training. I see the training plans with 20-milers leading up to the marathon, but I've never committed the time for such long runs. If you can get to even 10-mile runs, you'll do fine
- At the moment I'm focused on calorie burn to get weight down, and slowly building up my run time/distance. I'll still be undertrained, but the energy of the weekend will provide a huge boost.
- I just did 4 miles this morning, and even with a generous amount of walking, I was well under the 16 min/mile mark.
- If you are like me, by the end of the marathon, you probably aren't thinking real clearly, so just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
- To my surprise, when going around the Epcot lagoon, I was still able to alternate running and walking. The intervals had greatly shortened, but still doing it.
- When you see/hear the gospel chorus, wave at them and yell "Hallelujah" because it is almost over.
- Encourage other runners
- Take energy from the spectators that are out there cheering you on.
- I don't remember park guests being a factor for the half. For the full, they are, but the Cast members seem to do a good job of holding them back for packs of runners.
- Make sure to get a selfie coming out the front of the castle
- My favorite running device (besides my watch) is a Creative Labs Stone. It's a tiny MP3 player with an external speaker. I clip it to the back of my collar and have it just loud enough for my ears. It has more than enough battery for a marathon
- I have an armband for my phone, keys, etc, but it gets annoying after a while and my new phone doesn't fit. I'll put my stuff in a belt instead.
- If you do want your phone in your hand, get the kind of carrier that fits around your hand so that your aren't clutching the phone the whole way.
- Never give up!

I'll be there without the family, so I'll be happy to join any meetups.
And, pardon the ignorance, what is the Goof Troop?

LdyStormy76 pretty much nailed it.

The Goof Troop Roving Road Party (TM) was a group of us who ran the full together. The only goal was fun and maximum carnage. Zero f**cks given about time. That meant shots, beer stops, characters, rides, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter