Marathon Weekend 2022

Happy Saturday runDisney all-stars!

I’m coming to you early this week because I move tomorrow. This will be Very Special Episode of Sundays are for Disney. @DopeyBadger is guest hosting and he’s going to be talking about spreadsheets!

Kidding. But Billy is master of ceremonies tomorrow and this is one of my favorite traditions during the build up to marathon weekend.

Have a great week, everyone!

More of Andrew's Marginally Useful Running Knowledge

So many of these entries about first-time long distance race could have been written by me. So, some more thoughts:

- I never imagined running 6 miles until a bunch of co-workers kept carrying on about the Peachtree Road Race. So I trained up and did it the next year in under an hour (I was also 26 years younger...)
- A half?! Are you kidding? That's like finishing the 10K and running back to the start. But after a bunch of 10K's, I figured I could do it, trained up, and headed to WDW.
- A full?! Are you really kidding?! But there I was, 2 years later thinking I could do it, and just to sweeten the pot, doing it right after the half.
So this is what I have to look forward to—ever-increasing levels of running-related craziness?? 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, these are interesting and helpful posts for this new runner.

I’m coming to you early this week because I move tomorrow. This will be Very Special Episode of Sundays are for Disney. @DopeyBadger is guest hosting and he’s going to be talking about spreadsheets!

Kidding. But Billy is master of ceremonies tomorrow and this is one of my favorite traditions during the build up to marathon weekend.

Kidding, but not:rotfl:

Good luck with your move!

So this is what I have to look forward to—ever-increasing levels of running-related craziness?? 🤣🤣🤣

Something else that I thought of, naturally about 30 seconds after I hit the send button. Put some napkins or paper towels in your pocket or armband or whatever it will not get sweat soaked with sweat. If you’re like me your nose will start running and it is miles of misery not being able to wipe or blow your nose. No, I do not want to use my sleeve…

To answer the question, pretty much. Now that I have committed to race weekend, from now until then I will be obsessed with training, lodging, what I’m going to wear, what I’m going to do during non-running parts of the weekend, which park to visit on which day, etc. (FWIW, I am thinking Hollywood studios after the 5K, so I can get in there and see the Star Wars exhibit, which is new since the last time I was there)

Sundays are for Disney:

Thanks @lhermiston for the opportunity to present this one. Well everyone with the excitement of registration day passing, it comes time to start thinking about the weekend itself. And with that comes the thing I always like to ask post-registration:

Marathon Weekend Goals

I've done this for a few years now and thought it was a good experience. Full disclosure, I am saving your responses to be revealed at a later time closer to race day.

Now that registration is out of the way for most of us, I'd love to hear your goals for Marathon Weekend. Here's how I see goals. They're personal. You chose it because that goal means something to you. It's important to you. Which means your goal is important to me. No goal is too big or too small. The person's goal to finish their first 5K and another's to take down Michael Wardian's Dopey World Record are equally important to me. So, I'd love to hear yours. And yes, even the super secret I don't want to admit it goals. :eek:

Here are some ideas if you haven't thought about it:

Finish my first: 5K, 10K, Half, Full, Goofy, Dopey
Finish with a time goal
Run a race with a family member
Overcome an adversity in your life
Drink a beer or margarita at a certain mile marker
Participate in DATW (Drinking Around the World) *Happens on Monday in EPCOT (ask @FFigawi about it)
Beat a family member
Get as many character photos as possible
Get a character photo with a certain character
Do lots of park time and enjoy the races
Ride a certain ride, or perhaps #alltherides during a race
Have fun
Run a World Record
Run a PB
Wear a certain character outfit
Join the Goof Troop, or the Not-so-Fast, or any other group of DIS'ers with common goals

So, let's hear them! What's your goal? Remember earlier this week you signed up for a race during marathon weekend for a reason, so what is it?

SAFD - Finish and have fun.

After 3 Disney marathons and 1 Disney half marathon, I realized time goals just take away from the atmosphere and fun. So my goal is just to have fun and finish.

This year, I think I should have a goal of riding a ride during the marathon. I usually get through AK before it opens though, so I'll have to see what that ride might be!

SAFD: So many goals for me...
  • Participate in my first Marathon Weekend
  • Thoroughly enjoy the 5k with my daughter - easy pace for both of us and just have fun
  • Run my first Dopey
  • Run the races with absolutely no focus on time (although I may take one distance a little more seriously than the rest). This will be a first for me.
  • Experience and participate in the Goof Troop marathon shenanigans (fun times, drinks, rides, photos, dad jokes - all of it)
  • Join in DATW on Monday (at least until I have to leave for the airport)
  • Have a blast at WDW with my daughter on our first duo trip together (i.e. without the rest of the family)

SAFD: Ha! When I was running this morning, I was thinking "maybe SAFD will be about MW goals"!

My two are:
--Goof Troop, Part Deux (c'mon...where's the love for naming it as a sequel of some sort?)
--Also, I WILL arrange my schedule to make DATW. For whatever reason, I have been unsuccessful finding people once it's started. (Note to self, get contact info/live tracking/whatever to be able to locate the group in real time)

SAFD: Ha! When I was running this morning, I was thinking "maybe SAFD will be about MW goals"!

My two are:
--Goof Troop, Part Deux (c'mon...where's the love for naming it as a sequel of some sort?)
--Also, I WILL arrange my schedule to make DATW. For whatever reason, I have been unsuccessful finding people once it's started. (Note to self, get contact info/live tracking/whatever to be able to locate the group in real time)

When in doubt, check Teetz’s Twitter feed ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter