Marathon Weekend 2022

Crowd sourcing something here. My almost 8 year old daughter has been asking to come running with me for awhile now. I took her out the other day and she ran two miles pretty easy. At this point my main concern is 1) overdoing it and risking injury 2) making sure it’s still fun. Just looking for what kind of limits I should be looking for and keeping to, what kind of miles per week, max distance that kind of stuff. She is super excited to run the 5k with me next year when I run dopey.

Humans are naturally made to run. Provided you have a normal, healthy 8 year old and you keep #2 in mind she should be fine. If you start trying to give her structured workouts that push her too far too fast it will likely stop being fun and that is your first sign. If she runs around as part of her normal play and/or participates in sports she likely already does more mileage than you realize. I think a 5K is more than reasonable for her age.

One bit of advice about shoes and that is try not to get her anything overbuilt and with a high drop from heal to toe. I was listening to a few doctors discussing shoes on a podcast not too long ago and one of the topics they were talking about was how kids should spend as much time as possible barefoot or in as minimal of a shoe as possible. We make our son remain barefoot in the house and even quite a bit in the yard. He wouldn't run barefoot of course but we also don't by him bit thick shoes.

Booked our flights last night. And for all of my attempts to get there and back and DH only missing 2 days of work, once MIL agreed to house sit for us, he wanted to leave Wednesday, and I got him to agree to com back Monday morning. A compromise, but it will also involve a 4hr drive each way to get to the airport.

You win some, you lose some. At this point I’m glad I had booked the resort for wed-mon with the intention of chopping off the days I didn’t need. Crossing my fingers for a miracle on the dvc side of things that a studio magically appears for our days and I can rent the points quickly enough to snag it.

So I'm going to piggyback off of my DVC wishfulness and ask if anyone knows if it's possible to waitlist with any of the rental companies? Or if there are any places I should be looking to rent an existing reservation? You can message me if this is something that-shall-not-be-named.

I really enjoyed watching the men's and women's marathons in the Olympics. Watching them run so well in conditions that wipe me out on a 15 mile training run - just, WOW!

Congratulations to all of the medalists - heck, to all of the Olympians (had to run a 2:11:30 to even qualify for the men's marathon :oops:).

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 149 days away from the start of Marathon Weekend!

Thanks to everyone who shared their goals this past week and @DopeyBadger for collecting them. They were fun to read.

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, where would you stay if you could stay anywhere on property?

My top three:
1. AKL
2. Poly
3. Boardwalk

AKL wins out for animals and just looking like an awesome place to stay. Boardwalk and Poly for their aesthetics and proximity to Epcot and MK. I’d love to be able to watch HEA from the beach or just stroll over to World Showcase anytime I felt like it.

Have a great week everyone!

SAFD: I have a goal of staying at every Disney resort, but I still tend to rebook ones we've enjoyed! Being DVC makes that goal both a little easier and a little harder. Right now I'd pick Riviera, just because it's brand new and it's beautiful. We were set to stay there, but cancelled as things started to decline in FL...

I don't have plans to stay there for any upcoming trips (I've tried to book rooms based on the most convenience for the type of trip were taking), but I do hope to rebook and stay there one day!

SAFD:

I have 3 I'd really like to stay in. No periocular order.

Boardwalk Inn. When I lived in FL I always parked there when I used my AP and thought I'd like to stay there some day. I also have it as #1 for race weekend so my family can just walk down as I pass.

Poly because it's the Poly. A friend of mine recently got DVC there and will rent me their points at cost so I have a feeling it will be my first deluxe in the coming years.

AKL for the animals and the because it has my 3 favorite restaurants.

I just can't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on a Disney hotel but in my quest to stay at every resort I'm almost to the point where I need to move to the deluxe level.

SAFD: I have a goal of staying at every Disney resort, but I still tend to rebook ones we've enjoyed!
Same goal! I’ve stayed at all resorts in some capacity. We’re not DVC, so I still need to stay at some of the villas like BLT, CCV, etc., and I also need to stay at the tower at CS and in the bayou section of POR. My favorites have been Beach Club and Boardwalk when we overlooked the actual boardwalk (not for race weekends because we need sleep!), AKL and Kidani overlooking the Savannah, Riviera for its beauty and elegance, POFQ for its small size and convenience and boat to DS, and AoA for its two bathrooms, room layout for more privacy from others, and Skyliner access. As I keep typing, I could name them all, because each one has its own special charm!

SAFD: same goal of staying in every resort someday. I’ve never stayed in the Boardwalk area, so Beach/Yacht/Boardwalk are my top 3 right now. Currently have Beach Club booked for MW and excited to check another one off the list!
But….my 3 favorites to date have been Riviera, Poly, and AKL.

Safd:

The answer that everyone is neglecting is obviously in Cinderella’s castle. 😂

Realistically though:
1.) Grand Floridian (with no kids)
2.) Riviera (hoping to find a not-$680/nt room there for MW)
3.) AK grand villa. (We stayed here in studios 2x during the covid stuff and I almost left it off the list because having almost the entire pool at Jambo to yourself is pretty awesome, and I’m not sure I’d like it as much with the hotel side fully open and how busy it could get.)
4.) Poly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter