Marathon Weekend 2022

i just wanted to introduce myself and hope to meet up with several of you during Marathon weekend! Wine and Dine 2017 was my first race EVER! And W&D 2016 was what got me interested in running to begin with. It’s all about the bling!😂 I’ve run some races at all of the weekends, including several of the challenges, but I took the plunge and just signed up for Dopey! I know my DopeyBadger plan will get get me through, but I’m still terrified! Lol
This will be my first marathon, but when I did the half in 2019 during marathon weekend, I had definite FOMO for Dopey. You are the people that make me feel less crazy! Thanks!😆

I know covid related talk is polarizing but I’m wondering if this whole third shot after 8 months is after first shot, second or being fully vaccinated…. If it’s 8 months after the second shot that puts me the Friday of the 10K should I be worried ???

Why not wait and see what the medical guidance for the booster shot turns out to be rather than asking about it on a running board? I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that few, if any, of us work for the CDC (or FDA) and nobody here can predict what guidelines RunDisney will implement around a booster shot.

Why not wait and see what the medical guidance for the booster shot turns out to be rather than asking about it on a running board? I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that few, if any, of us work for the CDC (or FDA) and nobody here can predict what guidelines RunDisney will implement around a booster shot.
I know it’s slim to none that anyone knows anything at this point just a case of anxiety brain

I know covid related talk is polarizing but I’m wondering if this whole third shot after 8 months is after first shot, second or being fully vaccinated…. If it’s 8 months after the second shot that puts me the Friday of the 10K should I be worried ???
I suspect that the rollout will be much faster if they open the spigots and you will be able to get the 3rd shot before your 8 month anniversary of you want it.

I'll just add in that for the current 2-dose series, the "3 weeks" or "4 weeks" are the minimums. You have to wait at LEAST 3 weeks for the pfizer 2nd dose. So if an 8mo booster becomes a thing, waiting an extra week wouldn't matter. Medical centers have been more assertive about scheduling people right AT their 3 or 4 weeks to make sure that they actually come back and get the 2nd dose.

It would be after the second shot. That said, I don't think it'll be a big deal if you have to delay it until after race weekend, and as mentioned above, you could probably get it before as well. That might be a bigger risk depending on your reaction though.

Good morning friends! For those of you that know my daughter Lynae, she went to the emergency room last Monday for severe back pain and ended up having back surgery on Thursday. Her neuro said it was the worst herniated disc that he had ever seen and she had a discectomy. She is home now and doing better but it will be a long recovery. She is registered for the 10k on W&D weekend and the 10k and half on MW. She is encouraged to walk as much as possible to aid in her recovery so she thinks she will be able to do the 10k's but we were discussing whether or not they sweep people in the 10k? I told her I would ask y'all. Thanks!

Good morning friends! For those of you that know my daughter Lynae, she went to the emergency room last Monday for severe back pain and ended up having back surgery on Thursday. Her neuro said it was the worst herniated disc that he had ever seen and she had a discectomy. She is home now and doing better but it will be a long recovery. She is registered for the 10k on W&D weekend and the 10k and half on MW. She is encouraged to walk as much as possible to aid in her recovery so she thinks she will be able to do the 10k's but we were discussing whether or not they sweep people in the 10k? I told her I would ask y'all. Thanks!

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about this! I hope her surgery is successful and she's able to walk and eventually run again pain free.

I do believe they sweep for the 10K. My DH, daughters and I did it and we were taking our time stopping for multiple pictures and long waits for characters. As we were nearing the finish line in Epcot (where I had assured the girls we were free from risk of being swept) while in line for a character picture, the people on bikes came up and started yelling that the balloon ladies were right behind us and we needed to stay ahead of them or risk being swept. We bailed out of the line and finished the race in a massive pack of people with the balloon ladies right behind us. Now, I'm doubtful they would have actually swept us that close to the finish (we were within a quarter mile of the finish line), but they were threatening it anyway. So, I presume that means they can and do sweep for that race.

Hoping the best for Lynae's recovery.

Yes, they do sweep the 10k. Same procedure as the other races other than the 5k. The 16 min/mile starts with the balloon ladies who start last. Usually there is about an hour between the start of the race and the start of the last person. This blog post I found confirms sweeping in runDisney 10ks (link).

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about this! I hope her surgery is successful and she's able to walk and eventually run again pain free.

I do believe they sweep for the 10K. My DH, daughters and I did it and we were taking our time stopping for multiple pictures and long waits for characters. As we were nearing the finish line in Epcot (where I had assured the girls we were free from risk of being swept) while in line for a character picture, the people on bikes came up and started yelling that the balloon ladies were right behind us and we needed to stay ahead of them or risk being swept. We bailed out of the line and finished the race in a massive pack of people with the balloon ladies right behind us. Now, I'm doubtful they would have actually swept us that close to the finish (we were within a quarter mile of the finish line), but they were threatening it anyway. So, I presume that means they can and do sweep for that race.
Hoping the best for Lynae's recovery.

Yes, they do sweep the 10k. Same procedure as the other races other than the 5k. The 16 min/mile starts with the balloon ladies who start last. Usually there is about an hour between the start of the race and the start of the last person. This blog post I found confirms sweeping in runDisney 10ks (link).

Thanks guys! So is she doesn't stop for pictures and gets a good corral, she should be fine I'm betting. She would be ok with being swept but her boyfriend is doing the 10ks with her for his first Disney race so she would feel bad because he wouldn't leave her. She was a fast walker before and in good shape (other than her back!).

I'm so sorry and sending good thoughts for a quick and successful recovery! I can attest that they absolutely sweep the 10Ks; I've dilly-dallied around enough to be finishing with the sweepers a few times. But for sure, if she can start in an early corral and not make stops, I'd bet she'll be fine. I think my longest WDW 10K to date was over 2 hours, for reference, and the earliest corral I've started in was B.

My heart goes out to her. While I was not in need of surgery in 2019, it was a long road of medication, injections and PT to address mine, and I still deal with nerve pain. Her PT will hopefully be able to help her plan a bit, so my suggestions are just that.

*Start with super short distances, take your time and slowly build up.
*Know that being frustrated with your body is going to happen. Cry when you need to.
*Celebrate the victories, no matter how small. My first one was being able to get lace up shoes on, 6 weeks post injury.
*In a few weeks, go get fitted for new shoes. The injury may change your feet, gate and/or movement.
*There will be a day when you wake up and feel better, when you can do the distance. It will come.

SAFD: Joy (From inside out). Always seems super energetic and always positive..... think id need that, especially around mile 20 (BTW, never ran any Disney races before but most of the YouTube vlogs seem to mention mile 20 in particular.... so if anyone knows why this is such a difficult part of the course id be very grateful to hear why this is and how people combat it... im guessing some kind of hill/freeway ramp?)

I hope she has a quick recovery!

SAFD: Joy (From inside out). Always seems super energetic and always positive..... think id need that, especially around mile 20 (BTW, never ran any Disney races before but most of the YouTube vlogs seem to mention mile 20 in particular.... so if anyone knows why this is such a difficult part of the course id be very grateful to hear why this is and how people combat it... im guessing some kind of hill/freeway ramp?)
Well, the course has changed over the years, so mile 20 doesn't come in the same spot. For example, last year, it was on Western Way on the way to Blizzard Beach--as it happens, there was a heat warning and the race got shortened here for some people. Previous years it has been at WWoS--which a lot of people aren't fond of. In 2013 for the 20th anniversary, they had the much-maligned "Mile 20 spectacular"--which was not much as a I recall. Maybe some banners, some characters. In earlier days, mile 20 was on Osceola Drive before you did a hairpin turn at WWoS---it can be disheartening to see runners going in the opposite direction.

I think the thing is that mile 20 is so tantalizingly close to thinking you are done, yet can be the hardest 6.2 miles of the race, since by that time your're generally wiped out.

Mile 20 is around where runners typically hit "the wall" during a marathon. It's not unique or specific to the Disney race. This is about the point in the race where the stored glycogen in your muscles runs out, and if you haven't been refueling well along the way, you get very fatigued very quickly. It's the running equivalent of the piano dropping on the back of a swimmer when they tire at the end of a race. You can normally avoid this by learning to fuel properly during your long training runs and being consistent with your fueling during the race. Here's an article with some tips.

Mile 20 is around where runners typically hit "the wall" during a marathon. It's not unique or specific to the Disney race. This is about the point in the race where the stored glycogen in your muscles runs out, and if you haven't been refueling well along the way, you get very fatigued very quickly. It's the running equivalent of the piano dropping on the back of a swimmer when they tire at the end of a race. You can normally avoid this by learning to fuel properly during your long training runs and being consistent with your fueling during the race. Here's an article with some tips.

To add to @ffigawi‘s great explanation, mile 20 is typical, but it can happen most any time late in the race. It’s only happened to me once, fortunately, but it was very unpleasant. I had trouble with my stomach during a goal race and couldn’t keep up with my nutrition strategy. Around mile 23 it felt like someone unplugged my legs from the wall socket. There was just no energy left and I couldn’t maintain any sort of pace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter