Marathon Weekend 2022

Promising to plan a perfect Disney day for everyone using the service does not seem remotely possible.

Funny you should say that... I haven't used Touring Plans for this, but they have offered something similar for years. I hear it works VERY well, and they only have a fraction of the data Disney has at its disposal. However, if I was going use one or the other, I would still stick to Touring Plans because their ride wait times (in an app called 'Lines') are vastly superior to Disney's posted times.

I personally prefer spontaneity.

Yup! But with park reservations, dining reservations even for counter service, Genie+ ride times... It's almost all gone. Some planning has always been necessary to get in the 'must dos', but the flexibility is vanishing, and that's miserable. (Something tells me 'Go Left' will still work, regardless of how they try to push people.)

RE: Lightning Lane vs Fastpass+... I think this has a good relationship to the Club runDisney debacle. The running club SHOULD have been based on participation, not raw cash. Sure, it would cost money to join, but the levels go up the more you participate. So when you see a Gold Member jacket, it's because they've run a ton of races. Good for them! But now... It's just an upcharge. Uh... okay, good for them? So, they didn't run into that corral, they bought into it. Yuck. (That was myopic, no matter how you slice it.)

Now, same thing with Lightning Lane. The people using the shorter lines aren't the ones who simply planned ahead and made a calculation based on their priorities, they just had the money to burn. It's not like first class on a plane, or seeing someone driving a swanky car, to which I say good for them. This just feels different in a place where tensions already get high sometimes. I don't know why you'd want to fan that in front of people's kids, because it's not like seeing the cool toy you can't get them. It's all day, in every line, over and over again. It just doesn't sit well.

Funny you should say that... I haven't used Touring Plans for this, but they have offered something similar for years. I hear it works VERY well, and they only have a fraction of the data Disney has at its disposal. However, if I was going use one or the other, I would still stick to Touring Plans because their ride wait times (in an app called 'Lines') are vastly superior to Disney's posted times.

Yup! But with park reservations, dining reservations even for counter service, Genie+ ride times... It's almost all gone. Some planning has always been necessary to get in the 'must dos', but the flexibility is vanishing, and that's miserable. (Something tells me 'Go Left' will still work, regardless of how they try to push people.)

RE: Lightning Lane vs Fastpass+... I think this has a good relationship to the Club runDisney debacle. The running club SHOULD have been based on participation, not raw cash. Sure, it would cost money to join, but the levels go up the more you participate. So when you see a Gold Member jacket, it's because they've run a ton of races. Good for them! But now... It's just an upcharge. Uh... okay, good for them? So, they didn't run into that corral, they bought into it. Yuck. (That was myopic, no matter how you slice it.)

Now, same thing with Lightning Lane. The people using the shorter lines aren't the ones who simply planned ahead and made a calculation based on their priorities, they just had the money to burn. It's not like first class on a plane, or seeing someone driving a swanky car, to which I say good for them. This just feels different in a place where tensions already get high sometimes. I don't know why you'd want to fan that in front of people's kids, because it's not like seeing the cool toy you can't get them. It's all day, in every line, over and over again. It just doesn't sit well.

I don’t have any doubt about the amount of data Disney has, no mistake on that. I’m just skeptical about the way they are marketing this service and the possible inherent user error as well as the, uh, less than admirable, ways it could be implemented.

A couple specific examples that I’m particularly interested in:

-They are touting “projected future wait times.” Such things probably work great for touring plans, which are being used by a relatively small portion of guests on any given day. With Genie, it seems everyone (or at least the large majority) in Magic Kingdom will be told the same times. This will change behavior, drive expectation, and create disappointment and anger when that expectation likely can’t be met. There is a lot this app will likely do very well, but this seems like they are asking for trouble.

-I am picturing some very vague terms being used to narrow interests: thrill rides, exotic cuisine, exciting experiences, Disney magic, incredible performances, recent characters, classic Disney, etc., etc. Nearly every restaurant, attraction, event, or show in the parks could fit into many descriptors. It’s obvious Disney will be using Genie to steer people where they want them; I just don’t feel great about that. Will Genie be advising me to go to Swiss Family Treehouse and Barnstormer all day because they can absorb more demand than they currently have and match one of the vague descriptors I checked a box for? (ETA: I think the answer is yes. I’m also imagining a near infinite number of videos by influencers titled, “Going to Disney and Doing Only What the Genie Tells Me” Or something to that effect.)

Largely, I’m coming around on things. I’ll definitely give it a chance to see if I’m wrong about how this all functions. I tend to think users being attuned to what they actually want to do rather than what Genie suggests is going to be quite important.

re: Genie+ and Lightning Lanes

Basically every theme park in the world has operated with this type of pay to play system for a long time and most are far less egalitarian than Genie+. There will definitely be grumbling in lines but people have adapted everywhere else. It’s also a wait and see for me but it appears to basically operate nearly exactly as MaxPass at Disneyland and, while I haven’t been there myself, I’ve heard nothing but raves about that system (which featured the same up charge).

Last edited:
Come on over and join me on the dark side (aka Universal)! Seriously, I've stayed at Universal for both of my runDisney weekends so far and it is a perfect set-up. It helps to keep the costs down significantly, has much smaller footprint to minimize walking, and is flexible enough where I can mold my park time around what I need to do to take care of myself. In the past, I've stayed in family suite at Cabana Bay with the extra room and kitchenette. For 2022 MW, assuming that the budget works, I'm considering a split stay - Wednesday through Friday at a premium hotel to get the Express Pass to maximize park time and then move to Cabana Bay after the 10K when rest takes priority over park time. After the 2020 Princess, I did one Disney After Hours at the Magic Kingdom to get my Disney fix (and bling pics), but the UO globe and the Hogwarts castle make nice backdrops as well.

I have a hotel at Disney for now, but since they have taken away a lot the little extras like magical express, started charging for parking a few years ago, and the Most recent summer discounts were pretty slim…so, I am debating the universal hotel route. also, I was late to getting a hotel on property so my top resorts were already full—not that it mattered since I was priced out of many of my top picks anyway. The only thing is the convenience of the getting to the race in the morning… how early did you have to leave to get to the race? I have heard horror stories about driving to the race from off property.

I have a hotel at Disney for now, but since they have taken away a lot the little extras like magical express, started charging for parking a few years ago, and the Most recent summer discounts were pretty slim…so, I am debating the universal hotel route. also, I was late to getting a hotel on property so my top resorts were already full—not that it mattered since I was priced out of many of my top picks anyway. The only thing is the convenience of the getting to the race in the morning… how early did you have to leave to get to the race? I have heard horror stories about driving to the race from off property.

It's not bad driving to the race. I have done it from Pop and AKL. I think I left at 3:30-4:00 (same time or even later than the buses). You need to pick the right route (I avoid Buena Vista Blvd). If race times change, adjust accordingly. Honestly, it's no worse than taking the bus--arguably less stressful in that you can control exactly when you leave the resort. There are horror stories with buses as well--it's bound to happen when you have external race-day drivers trying to figure out how to get to Epcot

We are 'this' close to registering for our First Marathon!!! *squee*

Oddly enough one of the biggest hangups right now is that we're visiting Disney in November during a scheduled long run of 15 miles. We're staying at All Star Movies. While doing continual laps around the All Stars complex is a possibility I dunno how fun that would be. Any suggestions on how to bang out 15 miles? We won't have a car but could Uber someplace.

We are 'this' close to registering for our First Marathon!!! *squee*

Oddly enough one of the biggest hangups right now is that we're visiting Disney in November during a scheduled long run of 15 miles. We're staying at All Star Movies. While doing continual laps around the All Stars complex is a possibility I dunno how fun that would be. Any suggestions on how to bang out 15 miles? We won't have a car but could Uber someplace.
There is a sidewalk along Buena Vista Dr. that goes from the All-Stars to Coronado Springs. That can help you get a little extra distance. It's approximately a mile from the McDonald's by the All-Stars to Coronado. I guess you could do a loop or two inside of Coronado to add on some additional mileage. I don't think it would be all that repetitive to get to 15 miles.

Tall Todd, there are long running paths Northwest of Downtown Disney-Disney Springs.
Get on the NW side of Disney Springs and run North, past House of Blues.
There are paths there where buses used? to be. Not running in Disney Springs, mind you.
You can pass through the West side of Saratoga Springs, the golf course area, Old Key West, Port Orleans etc.
You could do 15 miles easy.
You pass near/over waterways and a lot of wooded, shady areas. A peaceful run.

Another option if you want to keep it "Disney," get a ride to 'Celebration' and run through that community.
It's peaceful as well and not too much traffic.

I used to ride my bike all over the area but it has been a few years so things may have changed with the pathways.

I think we left around 3:15ish for a 5:30 start time. The drive is only about 20 minutes (tops) and it is - after all - in the middle of the night so there was no traffic until we got super close to Epcot. We left ourselves a TON of extra time just in case the traffic was bad, but (knock wood) we didn't experienced any delays.

Having a car is, IMHO, one of the best splurges that you can get yourself for a race weekend. I didn't mind having to get there early since once we were in the parking lot in the morning, we could relax, close our eyes for a bit, and, if the weather is crummy, stay warm and/or dry until closer to the time to head to corrals. When you use Disney transport, you are at their mercy. I also can have a ton of post race supplies (nutrition, warm clothes, recovery sandals, etc.) and not have to worry about checking a bag (and standing in line to retrieve it at the end). And once I'm finished, I can go back to the car and SIT DOWN and not have to stand in ANOTHER line for the buses. I know that when we did the MW 5K in 2019, the buses couldn't move until all of the runners had started and were passed where the buses were staged (about 3/4 of a mile in?). By the time we started, there was already a LONG line of runners that had finished, waiting. When I finished, I could get in my car and head back to the hotel. [Just a note - I am the queen of the catastrophic Disney transportation failure so I am predisposed against using any form of Disney transportation]

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 135 days from the kickoff of Marathon Weekend!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite park?

Magic Kingdom still holds the top spot for me. It has my all-time favorite ride, Splash Mountain; plus some other favorites, such as Haunted Mansion, BTMRR and 7DMT. The food is a little lacking, IMO, but Columbia Harbour House has always been a go-to QS.

MK also feels the most like Disney to me. The castle, Main Street USA, music in the hub, parades and fireworks at night - it all still evokes that magical, nostalgic Disney feeling for me.

Have a great week, everyone!

Safd:
If im going with my family, MK because there’s the most to do there and Main Street has all of the atmosphere that makes Disney magical.

If I’m going with just my husband, Epcot or AK because you can really slow down and take it all in, while getting everything done on the to-do list (and the food is fantastic)

SAFD: Epcot. The rides aren’t as good as those at MGM, but there’s so much to see and experience throughout the entire park. The Japanese pavilion and its exhibits are a wonderful place to spend some quiet time during a visit.
It used to be my favorite - probably for 20 years. It isn't the same park by a long shot. I hope it gets back there for me some day.

SAFD: If I am solo - Epcot (pre-Covid when there's a ton of live entertainment going on in WS). I enjoy exploring the different countries, wandering in shops, having an adult beverage, and catching some great performances.
With the whole fam - I have to say HS. It has the best rides IMHO, and watching Fantasmic is not a bad way to end the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter