Marathon Weekend 2022

I've been trying to maintain a sub 11 minute pace on my long 8 mile+ runs, but this past Saturday was brutal. Ended up walking at least a mile of the 9. I'm less worried about the balloon ladies and more just worried about hitting that wall around mile 17 or so of the marathon and what it will be like to power through that. Any tips other than proper fuel/nutrition and hydration?

Here's a post I made coming up on three years ago now covering carb loading, and a post about in-race nutrition:

Glycogen Supercompensation (AKA Carb Loading)
What do you use for your running fuel? Carbs, yum, yum, yum! My scientific strategy!

Some articles that may be of interest regarding hitting the wall:

Why is Eliud Kipchoge So Much Better Than Everyone Else?
The Real Reason Marathoners Hit the Wall

Nutrition plays a role in whether you'll hit a wall, but it is my belief that proper training and proper pacing on race day will play a much larger role. Think of nutrition as a piece to the puzzle, and proper training and pacing as a whole section of the puzzle. If you were trained for a 4 hr marathon, and then you instead ran a 5.5 hr marathon, you're very unlikely to hit the wall. And that's because you've dramatically reduced your pace relative to current fitness capabilities. Thus, less stress on the system and additionally you'll use your ratio of carbs/fat as energy sources more slanted towards fat. Likewise, if you're a 5.5 hr marathon runner, but you train at paces like you're a 4.75 hr marathon runner, then you're going to struggle when it comes to race day. Not because you didn't train hard enough, but rather because you trained too hard.

So while you evaluate your nutrition and hydration plans, be sure to make sure you've evaluated your current fitness honestly, and determine whether you're training at appropriate paces. For instance, over 80% of your training should be at least 10% slower than what your current fitness marathon tempo is. Train slow to race fast.

RE: Hitting the wall

Another often disregarded aspect of hitting the wall is how well, and how close to race pace, you can use stored fat as energy. Even the leanest among us has thousands of available calories stored as fat around their body. The longer you can rely on fat instead of stored glucose the longer you'll go before you hit the wall.

For anyone doing Dopey/Goofy/Marathon, have you started training yet? The Galloway Dopey plan was at 9 miles on Saturday. Got it done but it was super humid and not pretty. I’m really going to need fall to show up soon! I don’t know how any of you Florida runners do it.
A NJ Goofy here. Haven't started training for Goofy per se, but I have an October (fun) and a November (serious) marathon I'm training for. Unlike a lot of others on the thread, I'm not a morning person so I tend to run after work on weekdays and at around 2pm on weekends.

My keys to dealing with heat are to be kind to myself and take breaks when I need them, bring hydration along on 90+ min runs and if it's going to be really hot (+85 to me) and I need to do sprints, I'll do them on a treadmill rather than outside.

A NJ Goofy here. Haven't started training for Goofy per se, but I have an October (fun) and a November (serious) marathon I'm training for. Unlike a lot of others on the thread, I'm not a morning person so I tend to run after work on weekdays and at around 2pm on weekends.

My keys to dealing with heat are to be kind to myself and take breaks when I need them, bring hydration along on 90+ min runs and if it's going to be really hot (+85 to me) and I need to do sprints, I'll do them on a treadmill rather than outside.
Hey are you running the Philly Marathon by any chance?

Excuse me while I scream silently......I deferred running NY Marathon in order to go to Hawaii for a family wedding---wait for it---that has now been canceled due to COVID. I totally understand their reticence, but I am beyond disappointed. I'm totally frustrated. I have yet to cancel anything, because....well, who knows why because.

The lemonade from this batch of lemons has not yet been made--and that includes considering a room upgrade for MW22. I am loath to give Disney any more of my money than necessary for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, rant over. Back to training. Sigh.

Excuse me while I scream silently......I deferred running NY Marathon in order to go to Hawaii for a family wedding---wait for it---that has now been canceled due to COVID. I totally understand their reticence, but I am beyond disappointed. I'm totally frustrated. I have yet to cancel anything, because....well, who knows why because.

The lemonade from this batch of lemons has not yet been made--and that includes considering a room upgrade for MW22. I am loath to give Disney any more of my money than necessary for a variety of reasons.

Could you upgrade flights instead? I had to cancel an international trip and am using those credits for first class round trip to MW.

The wedding has been canceled? I'd be tempted to still go to HI just for a little mini vacation even without the wedding.

Broad Street Run in Philly just emailed out to participants that they will need to upload their Proof of Covid 19 vaccination prior to the race in order to participate.

Maybe now that another major race is requiring it, Disney will follow suite?

The wedding has been canceled? I'd be tempted to still go to HI just for a little mini vacation even without the wedding.

Not canceled, per se, but relocated to MA--where they live, and I'm originally from. So now I am faced with the prospect of traveling 3x to MA for three separate family weddings over the course of 6 weeks. Believe me, I have not given up the idea of going to HI anyway--at the risk of familial *******. 2 weeks on Oahu and the Big Island--what is it worth? ;)

ETA: funny that I cannot post the word "d1sc0rd" without it being asterisked out!

Broad Street Run in Philly just emailed out to participants that they will need to upload their Proof of Covid 19 vaccination prior to the race in order to participate.

Akron just announced the same new policy. I don't think RunDisney will have a different policy than the rest of the resort so unless you need to start showing proof of vaccination or a negative test to enter the parks or stay at the resorts I don't think they will be needed for the races but that is just my own speculation.

It is against the law for businesses to ask vaccination status in FL. Yes, I know cruise lines have won a lawsuit, but that is a different beast and it’s being appealed. They could, however, require EVERYONE to get tested at bib pick up or show a negative test result. They have a Covid testing system at the Disney cruise terminal that seems to be working pretty good.

That would be great! I'm running a half marathon in South Florida tomorrow and it's definitely in the back of my mind. Mind you, this is a small race. Nonetheless, everyone will be jammed together for the start of the run.

Akron just announced the same new policy. I don't think RunDisney will have a different policy than the rest of the resort so unless you need to start showing proof of vaccination or a negative test to enter the parks or stay at the resorts I don't think they will be needed for the races but that is just my own speculation.
I agree with you, but I would hope that smarter thinking prevails. Nevertheless, I agree that Disney will apply whatever policy they have for the parks to the RunDisney events.

If Disney doesn't require proof of vax to enter the parks how could it possibly make sense to require it for thousands of fit, healthy people to run a race?
It's like closing the gyms and allowing Krispy-Kreme to stay open 24/7.
Wait...what?

In addition, requiring proof of vax is not required during registration so I seriously hope they don't go down that road.
(PS, not trying to spur *that* conversation, only responding to those encouraging more restrictions.)

What about instead of trying to make lemonade, you go for coffee? Of course, it could also be canceled and I don’t know what island you would be on but…
100% Pure Kona Coffee Half Marathon
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 6TH, 2021
https://www.purekonahalf.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter