Marathon Weekend 2022

Any idea how we add Memory Maker/Photo Pass when just doing a resort stay? No park tickets at all. Just doing the Marathon and hanging at the resort.

Good question! It looks like you can purchase for just one day by itself, but I wouldn't until you talked to someone at customer service. You might make their heads explode, but they are the only ones I can think of who could find out.

Any idea how we add Memory Maker/Photo Pass when just doing a resort stay? No park tickets at all. Just doing the Marathon and hanging at the resort.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/memory-maker/
The only thing I would be curious about if buying just one day is the fine print “Memory Maker One Day Includes all your Disney PhotoPass media from 6:00 a.m. ET on the date of activation through 5:59 a.m. ET the following day.

If the events start before 6am, what happens to any early pictures?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/memory-maker/
The only thing I would be curious about if buying just one day is the fine print “Memory Maker One Day Includes all your Disney PhotoPass media from 6:00 a.m. ET on the date of activation through 5:59 a.m. ET the following day.

If the events start before 6am, what happens to any early pictures?
IF you needed any pictures prior to 6AM, you would need to purchase the prior day as well.

IF you needed any pictures prior to 6AM, you would need to purchase the prior day as well.

I don't think this is true. In 2019 I purchased the one day photo pass and got all the photos. Note that I didn't purchase until the next day after I reviewed all the previews and decided it was worth it.

Hi! I've been pretty quiet on the boards this year. I had a baby in April and decided, what the heck, let's sign up for the WDW Marathon! I was supposed to run Dopey this past January, but I would have been 1. 24 weeks pregnant, and 2. it didn't happen.
SAFD: Following Galloway we are up to week 10 (right? is my math off?) so heading to 11 miles this weekend. While I ran and strength trained my entire pregnancy, up until ~36 weeks, nothing prepared me for how difficult it would be to get back to running. I waited the allotted amount of time after birth, did my lame and boring, but vitally important, exercises to ensure I was strong enough. I am soooo much slower than even during my pregnancy! Regardless, I'm sticking to it. Recovery has been pretty good, with minimal aches so far. Overall, training has been successful given all of the factors going into my new running season.

SAFD: Like many of you, I am slogging through summer training runs. My “A” race is The Avenue of the Giants HM on Sept 19. It got postponed from the traditional weekend in May due to COVID.
That is one of my wishlist races. I lived and worked in Weott for a number of years but never ran the race. Now I live across the country from there and wish I had taken advantage when I was there. Enjoy the race, and please do a race report.

SAFD:
I have a few marathons in October and November. The plan is to take things easy and try not to get burned out. Right now I’m struggling with motivation to do my longer (1.5 hour) runs on weekdays. Since these races aren’t going to be for time- just for fun - I am trying to get in at least an hour for those runs. Hopefully this all works out???

Hi! I've been pretty quiet on the boards this year. I had a baby in April and decided, what the heck, let's sign up for the WDW Marathon! I was supposed to run Dopey this past January, but I would have been 1. 24 weeks pregnant, and 2. it didn't happen.
SAFD: Following Galloway we are up to week 10 (right? is my math off?) so heading to 11 miles this weekend. While I ran and strength trained my entire pregnancy, up until ~36 weeks, nothing prepared me for how difficult it would be to get back to running. I waited the allotted amount of time after birth, did my lame and boring, but vitally important, exercises to ensure I was strong enough. I am soooo much slower than even during my pregnancy! Regardless, I'm sticking to it. Recovery has been pretty good, with minimal aches so far. Overall, training has been successful given all of the factors going into my new running season.

congrats on the baby! They sure are life changing in so many ways!

SAFD: late on this but training was going well but now have a golf ball in my left calf, not really affecting anything or horribly uncomfortable, just worried a long run this weekend makes it much worse. Also saw someone else in Texas note the weather, I am also ready to end wringing out my shirts post run 😂.

Congrats on the baby! When I had my daughter (via c/s in the month of December) I was able to do Baltimore the following October. I remember the training was rough, but my time was smack dab between my 3 previous marathons- which were only 9 min apart in the first place. I recently watched a clip of Alison Felix after she started training again also saying it was harder than expected. It’ll come back!

congrats on the baby! They sure are life changing in so many ways!

Thank you! I cannot wait to see Disney through my daughter's eyes!

Congrats on the baby! When I had my daughter (via c/s in the month of December) I was able to do Baltimore the following October. I remember the training was rough, but my time was smack dab between my 3 previous marathons- which were only 9 min apart in the first place. I recently watched a clip of Alison Felix after she started training again also saying it was harder than expected. It’ll come back!

Thank you very much! I have to trust my training and stick with it. I'm a little impatient, but I'm sure I'll be a stronger athlete for it!

Doing my first Dopey for Marathon Weekend 2022. Trying to figure out the best strategy for the different runs. Do you try to go for good times in the 5k and 10k and cruise the half marathon and just run to survive the marathon? Go for good time on the 5k, take it easy on the 10k, go for time in the half marathon, and then try to cruise the marathon? Or do you just to pace yourself through the first three days to save your legs for the marathon?

Doing my first Dopey for Marathon Weekend 2022. Trying to figure out the best strategy for the different runs. Do you try to go for good times in the 5k and 10k and cruise the half marathon and just run to survive the marathon? Go for good time on the 5k, take it easy on the 10k, go for time in the half marathon, and then try to cruise the marathon? Or do you just to pace yourself through the first three days to save your legs for the marathon?

My mindset was the Sextuple PR Dopey Challenge. I attempted to PR all four distances and the two associated challenges as non first time attempts. I’ve come close (2018 I got the first three and missed the marathon by 2 min; still finished in 20th overall so I was pleased) but never gotten it. With that being said, there are lots of potential strategies as you laid out. From PR them all to PR none of them.

My preferred method is to run the 1st three races at an easy training pace, then see what’s left in the tank for the marathon. I’m there primarily to have fun and enjoy the experience, but at the same time I only run a couple of marathons a year, so I like to try to put on a decent showing for it. There are as many potential strategies as there are runners, though, so ultimately it’ll come down to whatever approach you feel most comfortable with.

My preferred method is to run the 1st three races at an easy training pace, then see what’s left in the tank for the marathon. I’m there primarily to have fun and enjoy the experience, but at the same time I only run a couple of marathons a year, so I like to try to put on a decent showing for it. There are as many potential strategies as there are runners, though, so ultimately it’ll come down to whatever approach you feel most comfortable with.

What he said. I did Dopey in 2018 and ran the first three at a long run or slightly easier pace. Then I picked it up for the full. I did not even try to run the full at the pace I may have if I had just done that one alone, but it was still faster than the other races. Bonus given that I am an "old lady" (and the standards are age-adjusted)--it was enough for me to BQ.

It's good to have a strategy beforehand, but also to work with how you feel on each race day. That may mean taking some races easier than others. The @DopeyBadger strategy is not for mere mortals!

Same here. I love these races too much to waste them on a hard PR attempt. To me, the WDW races are my reward for training.

You guys are ignoring the 400 lb Disney gorilla in the room.
If you aren't in the first couple of corrals to start, good luck running a PR or respectable time in the 5 & 10K.
It gets so packed you would be running a 7 & 13K trying to navigate through the running masses.
(One caveat is what this years attendance will be of course*)

That said, just take it day by day.
You will no doubt be supercharged wanting to get after it on the first day.
The next day that alarm comes pretty early and negative thoughts will enter your mind.
Don't worry, they subside once you get to Epcot.

Ultimately the marathon is the main event, bar none.
These are the races that you stop and smell the roses.
Get pictures, meet your family & friends, spectators, take it all in.
Why would you blaze through the Magic Kingdom and ignore those pristine bathroom facilities?

That is why I so love the marathon.
If I could stretch it out to eight hours I would without a doubt.
Of course that is why they made "drinking around the world" for Monday!

All of that said, many people do stumble into a PR during marathon weekend.
The weather, the course, your biorhythms, whatever...it does happen.
I've run marathons here where I was barely sore the next day...Disney Pixie-dust perhaps?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter