Marathon Weekend 2022

Pretty sure Frontier has one flight/day from Cedar Rapids to MCO. I’m not going to chance it and instead will pay more for Delta, I think. With two likely carry-ons and a checked bag, the cost difference could be negligible.

In other news, rolling in on Thursday evening means I should be a sure thing for Hurricane Hanna’s Friday. Are we doing that this year?

Anyone else buy an AP today since they are back on sale? That was painful - the price hike this year is crazy, not to mention what's coming with Genie plus and whatever else Disney is going to get out of me :scared:
But I have at least 3 trips coming up (hoping to add a 4th next year) so with multi-day tickets also going up in price, it made sense but OUCH

I’ve been thinking about it but I can’t justify the price. I’d be forcing myself to plan multiple more trips to try and make the “savings” make sense. Had an AP for a couple years and absolutely loved it (when they were $500 cheaper) but it’s just not in the cards for me anymore.

I think I am going to be in the category of people Disney has successfully scared into fewer trips and fewer days in the parks with their control the crowds with higher prices strategy. Marathon Weekend is likely to be my one trip a year and I’m okay with that. Still love Disney and the parks but my nieces and nephews are getting to the “too cool for school” age and the pandemic-lengthened construction and cancellation of projects has left the parks a little stagnant for me right now.

ETA: I’m sure I’ll have more enthusiasm in the future; I want to see things get back to the point where they are planning projects again rather than limping to the finish line on ones they were too far along on to cancel.

Last edited:
Anyone else buy an AP today since they are back on sale? That was painful - the price hike this year is crazy, not to mention what's coming with Genie plus and whatever else Disney is going to get out of me :scared:
But I have at least 3 trips coming up (hoping to add a 4th next year) so with multi-day tickets also going up in price, it made sense but OUCH

I’m waiting on my renewal date to roll around. I was planning on letting it lapse, but my current pass expires 2 days before my W&D trip. The individual tickets for that quick 4 day trip to W&D were >$600 each, so when you pair that along with a 7-8 day trip to MW it makes sense to renew at least one more year.

To add to the smart people discussion on APs. I agree the price is crazy but if you are going to Disney basically for about 2 trips with 5 park days, it is costing you the same. I have had APs some years and renewed and then some i don't. I look at my vacation plans for the year and determine how many times i think i will go to disney and then decide if it is more affordable to do an AP. For me in 2022, i am only expecting to go for MW so i am planning 2 park days. It is just in 2022 i am planning to go other places than WDW.

Pretty sure Frontier has one flight/day from Cedar Rapids to MCO. I’m not going to chance it and instead will pay more for Delta, I think. With two likely carry-ons and a checked bag, the cost difference could be negligible.

In other news, rolling in on Thursday evening means I should be a sure thing for Hurricane Hanna’s Friday. Are we doing that this year?

For sure. 2pm right?

I'm going to need that marathon to sell out ASAP, because I'm obsessed with that medal and nowhere near ready to run a marathon. I also cannot take a trip in November, January and again in May...I mean I could but my bank account would be in pain. It is so pretty though!

Thank you! I was finally able to see a doctor yesterday and he said I could try cycling and see if it bothers my ankle. So I may give that a try and just hope this heals soon.

Fingers crossed that it works out for you. But don't be afraid to push for a PT script if you are still having trouble. I know that my doctor wasn't necessarily going to give me one for my foot, but her "rest, stretch and wait 8 weeks" wasn't going to work with my Dopey plans.

My PT gave me the advice that generally bike x 70% = run, in case you are trying to make conversions with your training plan.

Question on intervals and achieving the right pace for MP, LR, and easy paces, do you fix the interval and slow down the run pace or does the run interval change as the pace changes? I have been doing a mixture this summer in base build, with the MP interval at 2:15/1:00, LR at 1:30/1:00, then keeping the interval of 1:30/1:00 for easy runs. But now I am thinking going forward that every run will be 2:15/1:00 run-walk interval and I will moderate the run pace to get to my overall goal pace. Thoughts?

I believe Galloway prefers a single interval ratio for each of the different fitness paces (LR/Easy/MP/HMP). But for me, my philosophy is that different ratios are acceptable as long as the big picture about what those relative run paces mean to your current fitness level. And how that plays with the rest duration that you're allowing. I can't remember if it was this podcast (link), but I remember him discussing his extensive database of runners that shows the 30 second rest duration played a major role in improvement for his run/walkers. The idea is centered around that the longer you allow the rest duration to be, the faster you have to run relatively speaking, or the longer you have to do it for. Both running faster, or running longer, can push what was once considered an easier pace into something that your body will accumulate fatigue over the long term more than you can clear it. Whereas, the shorter rest duration sort of keeps you from pushing that limit as much. Consider is a 30/30 ratio, 60/60 ratio, and 13.1 mile/13.1 mile ratio all going to be seen similarly by the body? I think undoubtedly the answer is going to be no. So where that cutline exists may come down to what the relative pace means to what your current fitness level is.

If you tell me a recent mile time, 5k time, 10k time, etc, and your comfortable walking pace (not walk with purpose), I can tell you what the calculator I developed spits out for suggested run/walk ratios and durations. It's a blend of Galloway's philosophies with that of Jack Daniels and L. Veronique Billat.

I was going to since I have two trips planned to Orlando, one of which is for MW, but the cost doesn’t add up. I had planned to go to the parks on both trips, but now I will probably just go for two or three days during MW. Not to be a downer, but the prices have jumped up so much that, whereas in the past I would stay on property, neither trip will I be onsite. I am also planning more meals off property or just quick service. Instead, I will use the money to go to Europe once international travel is convenient again.

Has anyone ever purchased the medal display case at the expo? I think these will deserve special treatment. 😆

I never bought the display case but I was planning to do so whenever I ran my first Dopey. Lasting Commemoratives had a huge sale on their medal displays and extra medals earlier this year, so I'm just hoping they'll continue to work with runDisney now that live races are returning. I'd definitely be interested in purchasing one this year as my first full and first return to runDisney live races!

At the rD race merchandise area in 2018 and 2019 there was a table with 8 1/2 x 11 sketches of the race theme(s) done by the Art of Disney sketch artists. I bought one of those and then after the race and all my pictures went to Art of Disney in Epcot to have the medals framed with the sketch. The frame is black with Mickey Mouse outlines all around. I like the fact that they look more like artwork and aren’t a boxy display. I did the same thing with my DLP 2018 medals, but used a picture I took of the castle instead of a sketch.

if you want pictures let me know and I will post them.

At the rD race merchandise area in 2018 and 2019 there was a table with 8 1/2 x 11 sketches of the race theme(s) done by the Art of Disney sketch artists. I bought one of those and then after the race and all my pictures went to Art of Disney in Epcot to have the medals framed with the sketch. The frame is black with Mickey Mouse outlines all around. I like the fact that they look more like artwork and aren’t a boxy display. I did the same thing with my DLP 2018 medals, but used a picture I took of the castle instead of a sketch.

We did something similar for my MIL for her first 5K. It was Mrs Potts/Chip themed, and Art of Disney at Epcot found us the perfect sketch to combine with her bib and medal. IIRC they did NOT provide an extra medal or bib for this process, but it's been a while so I'm not sure on that.

At the rD race merchandise area in 2018 and 2019 there was a table with 8 1/2 x 11 sketches of the race theme(s) done by the Art of Disney sketch artists. I bought one of those and then after the race and all my pictures went to Art of Disney in Epcot to have the medals framed with the sketch.

YES!! Yes yes! Pictures! I looooove the art of Disney sketches and I know they have a dopey one on display above the register, but I would love to see what yours looks like!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter