Marathon Weekend 2022

On top of the bummer of not being able to ride it during the Marathon, that puts an incredible amount of pressure on Pandora and the rest of the park to absorb crowds. There are a lot of things I like about AK, but this probably pushes it to being a skip come January.

On top of the bummer of not being able to ride it during the Marathon, that puts an incredible amount of pressure on Pandora and the rest of the park to absorb crowds. There are a lot of things I like about AK, but this probably pushes it to being a skip come January.

Im planning on four park days and using them to see the new nighttime shows multiple times. AK is great, but never my favorite park. DHS I only really want to go to for ROTR at this point.

Current plan:

- Friday: Epcot
- Saturday: MK
- Sunday: MK
- Monday: Epcot

Im planning on four park days and using them to see the new nighttime shows multiple times. AK is great, but never my favorite park. DHS I only really want to go to for ROTR at this point.

Current plan:

- Friday: Epcot
- Saturday: MK
- Sunday: MK
- Monday: Epcot

I’m only looking at Thursday, Monday, Tuesday for parks (to eliminate some stress on my legs/mind for the Half and Full). I might dial that back to two days depending on how I feel about things as we get closer. Seeing the new shows are the only new things I am super excited for (Ratatouille looks fine, but it’s not my favorite IP and if the lines/boarding system are needlessly long/complicated it’s not a must)

Anyone have experience flying Frontier? Their flights to MCO are very cheap right now. Considering booking my flight this week.

I've only flown them once and had no issues but when I was going down for W&D in 2018 we were flying United while everyone else in the party was flying Frontier. They cancelled the Frontier flight the night before and had no room on the other flight that day. The 8 people that were flying them all ended up getting in later that day but required staying all day at the airport waiting. 4 of those 8 people were kids and it was miserable. They had to argue with Frontier about putting them on another carrier, and at no additional cost of course since it was Frontier's screw up, and all their direct flights turned into flights with a stop.

Anyone else buy an AP today since they are back on sale? That was painful - the price hike this year is crazy, not to mention what's coming with Genie plus and whatever else Disney is going to get out of me :scared:
But I have at least 3 trips coming up (hoping to add a 4th next year) so with multi-day tickets also going up in price, it made sense but OUCH
Me! I have an 8 park day fun trip in Nov/Dec, plus 6-7 park days for Princess, and 6-7 park days for Springtime Surprise weekend (# of park days depends on flight times, which I can’t book until next week) and I did the math. Tickets for all those days would be over $2K, and that wouldn’t even include PhotoPass, so an Incredi-Pass +PhotoPass was a no-brainer. And the savings doesn’t even factor in any possible discounts.

Anyone else buy an AP today since they are back on sale? That was painful - the price hike this year is crazy, not to mention what's coming with Genie plus and whatever else Disney is going to get out of me :scared:
But I have at least 3 trips coming up (hoping to add a 4th next year) so with multi-day tickets also going up in price, it made sense but OUCH
We are planning to upgrade my husbands day tix once we are down there this weekend. He’s hoping to meet me after MW for a couple days + our normal family trip late spring. Did a rough calculation and it seems he would be about break even so we’re just going to do it so it gives us the option of a random trip in the next year. I bought my AP in feb 2020 before the price hike (x2!). Lucked out with that!

Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom is scheduled to be closed for a multi-month refurbishment in early 2022 starting Jan 4
I have mixed feelings over this. My first Disney Marathon was the last race in 2020 and I stopped to ride it. It was fun to tell non-Disney runners the ways one could do crazy things to have a blast during a marathon. But.....the ride (and drink at Thirsty River) took me totally off my game, and it was a struggle to get back going in the heat.

I have been debating if I would ride it again during the 2022 marathon, and now my decision has been made for me. I will tell myself that I wasn't going to ride it anyway, so no disappointment here.

Now I have to consider ToT or RnRC.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings over this. My first Disney Marathon was the last race in 2020 and I stopped to ride it. It was fun to tell non-Disney runners the ways one could do crazy things to have a blast during a marathon. But.....the ride (and drink at Thirsty River) took me totally off my game, and it was a struggle to get back going in the heat.

I have been debating if I would ride it again during the 2022 marathon, and now my decision has been made for me. I will tell myself that I wasn't going to ride it anyway, so no disappointment here.

Now I have to consider ToT or RnRC.

This is similar to my thinking. It was great to experience it during the 2019 marathon, but I never really got my groove back after stopping. So at least I don't have to worry about making a decision about it. I don't really like ToT and RnR so I'm definitely not doing those.

Oh and I did upgrade to Dopey so I've officially lost my mind!

We did something similar for my MIL for her first 5K. It was Mrs Potts/Chip themed, and Art of Disney at Epcot found us the perfect sketch to combine with her bib and medal. IIRC they did NOT provide an extra medal or bib for this process, but it's been a while so I'm not sure on that.

Yes, you do have to give them your medals, and bib if you want that framed. For spinners you tell them which side you want out.

YES!! Yes yes! Pictures! I looooove the art of Disney sketches and I know they have a dopey one on display above the register, but I would love to see what yours looks like!

Here you go. Picture quality isn’t great because I can’t fully block the sun in that room so there is a reflection of my iPad in them. I picked the matting color too.

Edit: loaded them as thumbnails so those who weren’t interested could skim past faster.

Attachments

• AE6CB6F8-437A-48AC-A910-ABCECB3BAB04.jpeg
    AE6CB6F8-437A-48AC-A910-ABCECB3BAB04.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 4452F717-7728-4561-ADA8-1EEDC35BDAE0.jpeg
    4452F717-7728-4561-ADA8-1EEDC35BDAE0.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 57
  • E6BA4612-4DA0-4653-B3E5-7DD9F2A7FDF7.jpeg
    E6BA4612-4DA0-4653-B3E5-7DD9F2A7FDF7.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 56
In actuality, Expedition Everest has been having relatively low wait times (i.e. 15 minutes) while Flight of Passage and Na'vi River Journey were greater than an hour.

In actuality, Expedition Everest has been having relatively low wait times (i.e. 15 minutes) while Flight of Passage and Na'vi River Journey were greater than an hour.

I know the wait times haven’t been terribly long at EE for a while, but it is still running at a nice capacity and pulling people to a different area of the park. Even though the line isn’t as long it can still be serving a higher capacity of guests than the other attractions (it’s almost guaranteed to be more than NRJ, a very low capacity ride vehicle).

So a race-day logistics question for potentially cold weather. How do you juggle all of the "stuff" for the full? Like fuel, your phone, a possible battery pack for your phone, hat/gloves, etc.

I know there have been discussions about "throw away" sweatshirts (that disney collects and donates), garbage bags, etc for pre-race. And that sometimes people wear gloves and/or hats for the beginning of the race. Do you plan for these items to be "throw away" as well? If you're not running with a vest or belt, where would you stash these during the race if you DON'T discard them along the way? I know that there has been a big discussion about not "needing" a vest or big belt because of the number of aid stations, but if you don't have a vest or bigger belt, where do you put everything? It seems like just planning on taking my vest seems like the most "logical" thing to do. But I also don't want my vest to cover up a potential costume.

I hope those ramblings are coherent enough that you can see what I'm getting at. :crazy:

And that sometimes people wear gloves and/or hats for the beginning of the race. Do you plan for these items to be "throw away" as well? If you're not running with a vest or belt, where would you stash these during the race if you DON'T discard them along the way?

So I don't run with my phone or a battery pack normally, but will be for the Princess 5k with my daughter. So I'm designing my Vision costume to include a plethora of pockets that will enable me to not have to worry about carrying/discarding anything. So that's a consideration is to get creative in incorporating your running gear into your costume idea.

As for hats/gloves, I normally go into the race with the mindset that I'll toss them if I have to. But there was a time that I didn't intend on discarding because I had a really nice pair of gloves/hat that I didn't want to lose. I also unexpectedly wanted to take them off mid-race because I was too hot. So I tucked my shirt into my shorts, and then threw the hats/gloves into the back of my shirt. So they sat in the small of my back. It was annoying for like a minute or two, but eventually I forgot they were even there. Maybe something to try in a training run to see how it feels in an emergency situation.

So a race-day logistics question for potentially cold weather. How do you juggle all of the "stuff" for the full? Like fuel, your phone, a possible battery pack for your phone, hat/gloves, etc.

I know there have been discussions about "throw away" sweatshirts (that disney collects and donates), garbage bags, etc for pre-race. And that sometimes people wear gloves and/or hats for the beginning of the race. Do you plan for these items to be "throw away" as well? If you're not running with a vest or belt, where would you stash these during the race if you DON'T discard them along the way? I know that there has been a big discussion about not "needing" a vest or big belt because of the number of aid stations, but if you don't have a vest or bigger belt, where do you put everything? It seems like just planning on taking my vest seems like the most "logical" thing to do. But I also don't want my vest to cover up a potential costume.

I hope those ramblings are coherent enough that you can see what I'm getting at. :crazy:

For me, if it's cold enough for a hat and gloves then I'd also be wearing my running jacket with pockets. That's where I'd put the hat and gloves when done with them. For fuel and phone, no matter the temp, I have a flip belt. Lots of pockets and shouldn't detract too much from a costume (though I don't really wear full out costumes, so I guess it depends on what you're wearing).

I've gotten to the point in my life that I'll only buy running bottoms if they have pockets. I still have a few pair that don't, but for the most part they all have at least two pockets. I don't typically run with my phone but at Disney one of those pockets would be for that. TBH, I'm not even sure what I'd put in the other pocket. My first thought was confetti but no one wants me throwing sweaty confetti at them 😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter