• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2022

Anyone ever purchase photopass for the marathon weekend? Reviews or thoughts? TIA

I got it in 2018 for W&D and will be getting it again this year. We make the running trips family vacations too and like not having to worry about the character pictures. The included race pics are nice and we are fmdoing a photo sitting in MK which includes the pictures if you have MM.

If I was going down solo for a quick weekend I probably wouldn't get it unless I could split it with some other runners.

It's been too long since I've posted over here (well over 2 years I believe). I'm doing Dopey again in 2022. Has there been any word on corral placement yet? I haven't ran a Disney race since 2018 so I couldn't remember when they normally sent them. I knew it was kind of late, but felt like it wasn't this late. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Common side effect of getting old.

I'm solo tripping for Marathon Weekend, but since I'm an APH, I plan on going into a park each day. I'm staying offsite at one of my rental houses in Reunion for the 1st few nights and then moving to Swan for Saturday and Sunday nights. I'm planning on DATW Sunday after the marathon. I'll probably just wear my Dopey medal, although I am tempted to wear all 6 while I make my way around world showcase. lol.

It's been too long since I've posted over here (well over 2 years I believe). I'm doing Dopey again in 2022. Has there been any word on corral placement yet?
"Corrals" have been replaced with "Start Groups." Which are basically corrals. What we saw with Wine & Dine, which was the first to use these new Start Groups, was that nobody learned of their SG until they got their bib at the expo: no charts, no advance info of any kind. W&D half wound up being broken into 4 big SGs - s1, s2, s3, s4 - and each SG was released in a series of mini waves. Basically, the earlier you got into your SG section, the earlier you started your race. I think the W&D 5K has 3 SGs, but same system.

There are meet-ups planned already? I must have missed things. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to do a meet-up or not, but I'm running the marathon specifically to run with the group. :)

I get in Saturday by myself...go to expo and get bib. No other plans.

Sunday, I do the marathon. My mother, sister, and her son arrive Sunday...no park plans that day. We will be at the parks for the rest of the week.

"Corrals" have been replaced with "Start Groups." Which are basically corrals. What we saw with Wine & Dine, which was the first to use these new Start Groups, was that nobody learned of their SG until they got their bib at the expo: no charts, no advance info of any kind. W&D half wound up being broken into 4 big SGs - s1, s2, s3, s4 - and each SG was released in a series of mini waves. Basically, the earlier you got into your SG section, the earlier you started your race. I think the W&D 5K has 3 SGs, but same system.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I've done quite a few Disney races and always been in one of the first 3 corrals. I'm training for a 100 miler so there is zero pace expectations on Dopey other than finishing and having a good, injury free time, but I would still like to know where I start. Oh well. I was in Corral A the last time I did Dopey thanks to an 1:36 HM submission even though I ran a 9mm avg. pace for the weekend, which was much slower than what that HM time suggested I'd run.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I've done quite a few Disney races and always been in one of the first 3 corrals. I'm training for a 100 miler so there is zero pace expectations on Dopey other than finishing and having a good, injury free time, but I would still like to know where I start. Oh well. I was in Corral A the last time I did Dopey thanks to an 1:36 HM submission even though I ran a 9mm avg. pace for the weekend, which was much slower than what that HM time suggested I'd run.

If you submitted a PoT within the new parameters you should be placed in an earlier corral. It’s not just a free for all. Sg1 s basically A corral still. They just cut down on the number of corrals and are doing more mini waves within the corrals from what I’ve been reading.

If you submitted a PoT within the new parameters you should be placed in an earlier corral. It’s not just a free for all. Sg1 s basically A corral still. They just cut down on the number of corrals and are doing more mini waves within the corrals from what I’ve been reading.
I didn't submit any PoT for this race. Since COVID had cancelled most of my races over the past few years, the only finished race that qualified was a technical trail 50k with a ton of elevation gain so that time wouldn't help me at all.

There are meet-ups planned already?

I don't think anything is "official" but I assume a Saturday afternoon meetup (around 1 or 2?) at Hurricane Hannah's and a Monday DATW (around 11 or 12?).

Calling on @Ihermiston for the official announcement!

Edit to repeat @ihermiston thoughts (below) of HH meetup Friday at 3:00 and DATW Monday at 11:00.

Last edited:
SAFD:
I'm thinking of watching the new Cirque du Soleil show so these plans may change.

Tuesday: AK, dinner at DS
Wednesday: AK, Expo, Epcot
Thursday: 5K, MK, Trader Sam's, fireworks
Friday: 10K, HS, HH meetup
Saturday: HM, HS or Epcot or pool day
Sunday: Marathon, MK, dinner at Steakhouse 71
Monday: DATW, lunch at Via Napoli

I still have spots for lunch at Via Napoli during DATW if anyone is interested. We did a group lunch back in 2019 and it was nice to be able to take a break. I know I haven't posted much lately so you are probably wondering who I am but @lhermiston will be there and we all know him!

I can confirm Karen is the best

Anyone ever purchase photopass for the marathon weekend? Reviews or thoughts? TIA

I’ve purchased it in the past because I’ve always been really happy with the quality of the race photos. Add in ride pics, park pics and DATW pics and it’s always been worth the cost for me.

There are meet-ups planned already? I must have missed things. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to do a meet-up or not, but I'm running the marathon specifically to run with the group. :)

I get in Saturday by myself...go to expo and get bib. No other plans.

Sunday, I do the marathon. My mother, sister, and her son arrive Sunday...no park plans that day. We will be at the parks for the rest of the week.

Nothing planned outside of the typical stuff. Hurricane Hannah’s at 3 on Friday. DATW at 11 on Monday. Pre-race meetups each morning.

Historically, there has been a spreadsheet of who is doing what and where, along with kind of an unofficial location guide. The spreadsheet has been helpful in finding others who run at your pace, stop for pics, etc.

If the spreadsheet doesn’t materialize, we can still do an unofficial roll call on here to help folks find groups, etc.

I didn't submit any PoT for this race. Since COVID had cancelled most of my races over the past few years, the only finished race that qualified was a technical trail 50k with a ton of elevation gain so that time wouldn't help me at all.

Without PoT, placement will likely depend on the finish time estimate you selected at registration. If you selected one of the first available finishing time ranges, you’ll most likely be in S2. Maybe S3 if too many others selected that range, as well. The mini-waves do a pretty good job of spreading the field out a bit at the start, so it ends up being more like 4 or 5 small corrals releasing a couple of minutes apart rather than one massive corral all heading out at once. Get to the corrals early and get near the front and it’ll help, too.

Without PoT, placement will likely depend on the finish time estimate you selected at registration. If you selected one of the first available finishing time ranges, you’ll most likely be in S2. Maybe S3 if too many others selected that range, as well. The mini-waves do a pretty good job of spreading the field out a bit at the start, so it ends up being more like 4 or 5 small corrals releasing a couple of minutes apart rather than one massive corral all heading out at once. Get to the corrals early and get near the front and it’ll help, too.

I think I put marathon estimated time around 4-4:30 hours so I think that's probably a good estimation of where I'll be placed in this new system.

How bad will the lines be at the expo? Is it better to go first thing or later in the day? Trying to squeeze in AK for the kids.

How bad will the lines be at the expo? Is it better to go first thing or later in the day? Trying to squeeze in AK for the kids.
It's hard to say, not knowing what kind of capacity the races are holding this time, but my past experiences have been insane lines early on the first day, but minimal later in the afternoon. Nothing crazy after that first day.

What day are you planning to go? The first couple of days will be much more crowded. If you’re going later in the week, the timing really doesn’t matter all that much.

Assuming you’re going Wednesday or Thursday, it’s really a trade off. How important is official merchandise to you? If you want a good selection of merchandise, you need to go early in the day, but lines will be much longer. If you don’t really care, lines will be much shorter mid- to late afternoon.

It's hard to say, not knowing what kind of capacity the races are holding this time, but my past experiences have been insane lines early on the first day, but minimal later in the afternoon. Nothing crazy after that first day.

This what I was actually coming to ask about also. My original plans were to go on Wednesday at open to get my bib. I don't really care about merchandise but I think my wife wants me to grab a wine glass. After getting my bib I was going to head to Epcot to ride Remy with a ILL and get some lunch. But now I am wondering if it would be a better plan to go to Epcot first and then go to check in after lunch?

I'm resisting the urge to start making lists for packing. And lists for costume weather contingencies. And figure out what's on my "still need to buy" list (like arm sleeves, maybe calf sleeves, hair accessories, etc.) Anyone else getting into list/prep mode?

I haven't been to a marathon weekend since 2018, and that year I had the flu so I didn't do anything after Dopey. Just curious, is the DATW an unofficial official thing? Is it a Dis thing? Hoping to be healthy enough to enjoy some fun this time :).

I'm resisting the urge to start making lists for packing. And lists for costume weather contingencies. And figure out what's on my "still need to buy" list (like arm sleeves, maybe calf sleeves, hair accessories, etc.) Anyone else getting into list/prep mode?
I'm "only" running the marathon so all the clothes I need are one:
  • hat,
  • sunglasses,
  • shirt,
  • shorts,
  • compression shorts,
  • pair of socks,
  • pair of shoes,
  • throwaway shirt.
That's my complete list. I don't change up what I wear if the temps between 20 and 95.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter