Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD: I’m hoping Disney offers a switch to virtual. Im pretty much locked into my travel plans but I’m not feeling great about the races in the current climate. I don’t want a cancellation; I’d like everyone who is excited and less stressed than I about the races to be able to enjoy them.

I am very concerned about pushing my body to the point of exhaustion while hospitals are overworked and understaffed and will likely skip at least the Marathon portion of my Dopey entry if another option doesn’t present itself.

SAFD: My only wish is to receive mercy from RD and they me switch to virtual Dopey. I have been dealing with a nagging knee issue since November. It’s super weird considering I haven’t run since my surgery in October. Multiple x-rays and MRIs of the knee and back show its *only* an inflamed IT band exactly where it attaches to the knee. I had a cortisone shot and have been in physical therapy for a few weeks now and I was feeling so good. PT told me to test out the knee over the weekend. I ran 2 miles yesterday and had zero issues, during or after the run, but I woke up this morning to an aching knee. I’m local and I still plan on keeping my hotel, going to HH, spectating and celebrating everyone’s races at DATW. I’ve had a spectacularly stress filled crappy year in my personal life and my DH told me to go and to decompress.

SAFD: I just want to get to WDW, and cross the marathon finish line before the balloon ladies! I'm scheduled to fly nonstop from Boston on Thursday, and have checked Amtrak for options in case air travel gets worse.

Today was my last long run, and I'm exhausted!! This will (hopefully!!) be my first marathon on a certified, timed course (I did run 26.2 in the 2020 Boston Marathon, which was all virtual).

Long time lurker coming out of hiding to let others know rundisney's response on my inquiry on switching to virtual. I received this reply on the 24th. Maybe others will have better luck.

“We appreciate your inquiry to transfer your registration to Virtual. Per runDisney registration policy, race registrations may not be transferred from the in-person race to the virtual race.

We hope there will be a way for you to participate in the event you are registered for but understand if this is not possible. As a reminder, race registrations are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to another individual or another weekend. Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment.”

Hoping they change their stance on switching.

Long time lurker coming out of hiding to let others know rundisney's response on my inquiry on switching to virtual. I received this reply on the 24th. Maybe others will have better luck.

“We appreciate your inquiry to transfer your registration to Virtual. Per runDisney registration policy, race registrations may not be transferred from the in-person race to the virtual race.

We hope there will be a way for you to participate in the event you are registered for but understand if this is not possible. As a reminder, race registrations are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to another individual or another weekend. Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment.”

Hoping they change their stance on switching.

Sadly, it decides on who gets your email and how they feel that day. I emailed medical reports and physician orders so hopefully they will be merciful. I’m more than ready to walk the 5K, start the other three races and walk to the first aid tent and run the actual races when I can. I won’t get the goofy or dopey medal, but that’s fine with me. I’ll just find one on eBay eventually if I decide I want them bad enough.

PhotoPass Question:
We're doing the marathon followed by Disney Springs and then a parkhopper for Monday. I have a one day parkhopper and added the photo pass option at check out. Can I add the marathon bib on Monday once I activate photo pass to get my race photos from the day before?

Not cancelling here. But lots of people must be cancelling. Just checked rental car prices - mine dropped over $100 for a 5 day rental. For others renting cars, it may pay to check pricing!

THANK YOU so much for posting this. I just cancelled/rebooked our rental car and saved $170. I honestly did not think rates would change this close to our travel dates. That's almost the cost of park tickets for the 2 of us.

SAFD

My dreams & hopes:
  • To finish the goofy challenge and have fun with it. For me, the main barrier to this is going to be the various foot ailments that have plagued me my entire life. Here’s to a relatively pain-free weekend. Normal soreness I am okay with, but the pain I had on my last long run is worrisome
  • Cooler weather for the races— around 50-60 degrees would be lovely
  • For everyone to be well! Physically & mentally. I hope this weekend gives people what they need during these trying times.

Interrupting SAFD for a registration question. After doing it twice, runDisney still says my waiver is "pending." Do I need to try do it again? Or is that what everyone has?

Interrupting SAFD for a registration question. After doing it twice, runDisney still says my waiver is "pending." Do I need to try do it again? Or is that what everyone has?
Mine went through, and is no longer showing on the site at all. Maybe try again, because if it’s “pending,” I don’t think rD recognizes that you signed it.

SAFD: I'm mentally prepared to make the trip for MW and continue to follow the same safety precautions I would at home. Emotionally I'm not sure if attending is the right thing to do, but I continue to go back and forth about it. I've worked so hard for this and I've been looking forward to celebrating at my first marathon, but I also don't want to regret going and put myself/my family at risk for a race after how cautious we've all been...

That being said, I'm planning to go, but we'll see what these next 2 weeks bring. I'm hoping that everyone has a safe trip (with no flight cancellations) and an enjoyable race weekend!

SAFD: I'm mentally prepared to make the trip for MW and continue to follow the same safety precautions I would at home. Emotionally I'm not sure if attending is the right thing to do, but I continue to go back and forth about it. I've worked so hard for this and I've been looking forward to celebrating at my first marathon, but I also don't want to regret going and put myself/my family at risk for a race after how cautious we've all been...
I could have written this post - feeling just the same way; my first marathon too. Can’t figure out which path is likely to lead to fewer regrets. I’ve decided to leave my family at home, drive the 12 hrs each way, and skip the parks if I go, but it’s all getting quite complicated and unfun sounding, sigh …

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter