Marathon Weekend 2022

I could have written this post - feeling just the same way; my first marathon too. Can’t figure out which path is likely to lead to fewer regrets. I’ve decided to leave my family at home, drive the 12 hrs each way, and skip the parks if I go, but it’s all getting quite complicated and unfun sounding, sigh …
My thoughts exactly. I have a rental car now and planning to drive everywhere and skip all buses, but wondering if I should just drive the 7 hour trip instead. Cancelled all indoor dining reservations, not going to the parks. What was supposed to be a fun weekend is not sounding so fun any more and I think I will be worried up until the race happens that they will have to change things (no characters on the course, for instance?) or shorten the race or something due to staffing issues.

SAFD:
  • Make it to MW (avoid getting sick before getting there)
  • Hoping for no flight issues. Just changed my flight to be on the first flight out the morning of my departure.
  • Hoping for good weather and the forecast doesn't stray too much. Don't feel like going out and looking for different clothes if it does change drastically.
  • Hoping for no flight issues when the rest of the family joins me later in the week.
  • Hoping we all come back healthy.

Last edited:

SAFD : get through the next 48 work hours with my physical & mental health in tact (unmasked customers outright saying they were getting provisions for a Covid infected member of their household don’t help)
Thankfully I don’t have to deal with travel issues other than the hellscape that is I4
We will just kind of go with the flow and see what happens by way of park touring

still debating on if I want to just mask up in corals or if I want to wear a mask on a lanyard and attempt to wear one running

So, now my registration has disappeared from the runDisney page. Sounds like others have run into this? Any advice?

So, now my registration has disappeared from the runDisney page. Sounds like others have run into this? Any advice?
Nope. Sent my email of the day again… no response so far. My virtual registration exists, so perhaps I’ll print out my virtual bib and run around property with it.

At this point, I’d just plan to go to Runner Relations when you get to the expo. This has happened to a lot of people for both Wine & Dine and Marathon Weekend. You’re still registered for the race(s), the registration has just been “unlinked” from your RunDisney account.

You can try calling and seeing if they can fix it over the phone, but you might have trouble getting a live person on the line given the holidays and how close we are to the race weekend. I have yet to hear of a single example of a person this happened to that didn’t get to run the race weekend, though, so it seems to be easily fixable when you do get hold of someone.

Merry Christmas everyone! Just over a week to go! Looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible and putting faces with names and avatars.

There was an Aftershokz headset in my stocking! I took it for a test run yesterday, and thank you to everyone who commented on them and clued me in. Definitely an improvement to any sort of ear buds for running.

Not cancelling here. But lots of people must be cancelling. Just checked rental car prices - mine dropped over $100 for a 5 day rental. For others renting cars, it may pay to check pricing!
I noticed this the other day as well and saved $200 as we’re renting a minivan. I’ll still keep checking every couple days.

At this point, I’d just plan to go to Runner Relations when you get to the expo. This has happened to a lot of people for both Wine & Dine and Marathon Weekend. You’re still registered for the race(s), the registration has just been “unlinked” from your RunDisney account.

You can try calling and seeing if they can fix it over the phone, but you might have trouble getting a live person on the line given the holidays and how close we are to the race weekend. I have yet to hear of a single example of a person this happened to that didn’t get to run the race weekend, though, so it seems to be easily fixable when you do get hold of someone.

To piggyback on this if you search for Wine & Dine Expo 2021 you'll see a few videos that include getting registration fixed. It was a long line which isn't fun but I also haven't heard of anyone else having a problem actually running. I'd bring a printout of anything you have (confirmation, printed waiver, etc) and take care of it then.

So, bouncing my current thoughts off you all...

I am registered for "just" the marathon and have a flight arriving on Saturday. My mother (74 yo), sister, and her son (6 yo) have flights arriving on marathon Sunday. We are planning to stay the week after the marathon to visit the parks. Prior to when my family arrives, my nephew will be back in school for a week, possibly with most of his peers not wearing masks. (Their mask mandate is supposed to lift Jan. 1.)

My thoughts/concerns are not that we are going to get covid and get horribly sick - we are all fully vaccinated and boosted (6 yo hasn't had booster), and so far, breakthrough omicron cases are generally mild. I hope none of us will get covid, but it seems like nearly everyone may eventually get omicron.

My biggest concern is that one or more of us will catch something that causes one or more of us to have symptoms like covid, and then we'll end up spending a lot of our trip sitting in our hotel room because we can't go to the parks. (I don't know if Disney is actively screening for people with symptoms, but it would be irresponsible to go to the parks with symptoms.)

Any thoughts about this? Compared to a lot of you, we are arriving relatively late, so we still have some time before our 7-day cancellation window arrives. But I have to say that I'm leaning toward canceling.

My thoughts/concerns are not that we are going to get covid and get horribly sick - we are all fully vaccinated and boosted (6 yo hasn't had booster), and so far, breakthrough omicron cases are generally mild. I hope none of us will get covid, but it seems like nearly everyone may eventually get omicron.

My biggest concern is that one or more of us will catch something that causes one or more of us to have symptoms like covid, and then we'll end up spending a lot of our trip sitting in our hotel room because we can't go to the parks. (I don't know if Disney is actively screening for people with symptoms, but it would be irresponsible to go to the parks with symptoms.)

Any thoughts about this? Compared to a lot of you, we are arriving relatively late, so we still have some time before our 7-day cancellation window arrives. But I have to say that I'm leaning toward canceling.

It’s really going to come down to your comfort level with the situation. I can say that Disney was doing temperature checks during my April trip as the only sort of symptom screening. Those had been dropped by W&D, and I haven’t read or heard of them being reinstated. As for picking up an unrelated illness, that could happen literally any trip at any time. I ended up picking up a case of bronchitis at Marathon Weekend 2018. Unfortunately, you’re going to have to balance the enjoyment of the trip with the fear of getting sick right before or during the trip.

I am registered for "just" the marathon and have a flight arriving on Saturday. My mother (74 yo), sister, and her son (6 yo) have flights arriving on marathon Sunday. We are planning to stay the week after the marathon to visit the parks. Prior to when my family arrives, my nephew will be back in school for a week, possibly with most of his peers not wearing masks. (Their mask mandate is supposed to lift Jan. 1.)

I think, from reading this board for a long time, you will get every form of advice ranging from “what’s there to worry about?” to “the sky is falling, bunker down and never leave your house.” I think all you can do is whatever you’re comfortable with and makes you feel safe about your self and your family. Whatever decision that is, is the right decision.

Honestly, I still don’t know what the right decision is for me. I’m going to take things as they come over the next week, see how things change and make whatever decision I need to. All I know is, for me, this whole situation sucks. I wish Disney would consider how things have changed and give us some options.

Depending on what kind of symptoms…. Maybe you could pack a few of the at-home antigen tests.
I pretty much have drainage, post nasel drip, whatever, almost year round - nothing that would be contagious, but it does make me stop and think sometimes… is this worse than normal?? If you are showing symptoms, I think an antigen test should be more accurate (positive or negative).

I really hope MW goes off without a hitch for all of you guys! I have had some serious FOMO leading up to MW but right now am really grateful I am not traveling.
I saw someone else is leaving from Houston (as I would be were I racing) and the potential for cancelled flights would have me a nervous wreck because it's just far enough that a last minute change to driving would be tough to impossible timing-wise with required expos. Honestly, I really wish the expo was open a little later. As much as flights get moved around and accounting for time zone changes and travel time from the airport, your window for a flight is kind of narrow.

@avondale i think you nailed the question that you have to decide. For the Marathon i think you are fine. I think the bigger issue is if your nephew picks up something at school just before you arrive and you are stuck in a hotel room for 5 days. I mean is stuck in a hotel at disney for 5 days worth it? Of course it is only a risk. However you have to be prepared for that outcome.

On that note if you decide not to cancel maybe discuss with him how it would be better to wear his mask in school that first week. i know it won't stop everything but wearing a mask will help some.

SAFD revisited: I’d like to rescind my previous request for “no rain” and replace it with “if a hot marathon is unavoidable, just enough rain to cool us down, but not so much as to cause puddles.” Kthanksbye.

Anyone remember what time they cut the marathon course last year? I keep thinking 11am was the cutoff to either go on to BB or be rerouted. Does that sound right? Yes, I’m thinking ahead, just in case…

SAFD revisited: I’d like to rescind my previous request for “no rain” and replace it with “if a hot marathon is unavoidable, just enough rain to cool us down, but not so much as to cause puddles.” Kthanksbye.

Anyone remember what time they cut the marathon course last year? I keep thinking 11am was the cutoff to either go on to BB or be rerouted. Does that sound right? Yes, I’m thinking ahead, just in case…

‘That sounds about right. Maybe a bit earlier. 10:30-10:45, maybe? I finished around 10:45 that year and DW told me about the re-routing after I exited the chute. It had been a topic of conversation in the spectator area as she waited for me. I went back to the text notifications from rD for the day and it looks like the text announcing the re-route came through around 11:30, but that seems like a lot later than they actually started re-routing.

I really hope MW goes off without a hitch for all of you guys! I have had some serious FOMO leading up to MW but right now am really grateful I am not traveling.
I saw someone else is leaving from Houston (as I would be were I racing) and the potential for cancelled flights would have me a nervous wreck because it's just far enough that a last minute change to driving would be tough to impossible timing-wise with required expos. Honestly, I really wish the expo was open a little later. As much as flights get moved around and accounting for time zone changes and travel time from the airport, your window for a flight is kind of narrow.

That would be me coming from the Houston area. I switched my flight last night to leave on the first flight out the morning of the 4th. That gives me two days to get to the Expo and check in for the Dopey. If I can't get there in those two days, I will just try to make it for what I can. I do agree, it would be nice for the Expo to be open later or even have some type of after hours check in at Disney Springs or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter