Marathon Weekend 2022

I saw the Orange Bird and freaked out because of what you all said the other day. I stayed on the opposite side of the course.

I asked Jack Sparrow if he washed his clothes between races. He told me that while he hasn’t bathed in years, his wife does a wee bit of laundry. We both noted that he didn’t smell.

I went to the mi 24 marker right at the turn near the Swan to cheer on racers when I got back. I was hoping I may have cheered some of you on!

I saw Jack and said hello around the Poly. He was questioning specific life choices around his costume at that point and his “in character” running was tailing off. Told him it was an amazing example of dedication and execution and we parted company. Hopefully he made it back to the Black Pearl for rum after.

I need to get food in me immediately after a marathon - something. Otherwise it will usually take me hours (longer?) before I can eat - I’ll be nauseous around food… If I eat something right away, I can usually eat something bigger later - still may not be completely hungry, but it won’t make me sick!

That's how I am with anything longer than a 10K. I have to have something FAST or my stomach just shuts down.

My watch automatically shuts off if I come to a stop, so my potty breaks and photo stops were not counted in my watch time.

Not sure if that's on purpose, but if it isn't useful you should be able to turn off that feature.

My husband just looked at me and said, “WHEN we do this again. Because I know you and it’s not an if. When we do this again we don’t change resorts.”

Excellent. The upcoming Princess is first time I won't be moving once I get to Disney, and I'm SO excited. I've done many split stays (I'm the one that plans them) but I'm so happy for this trip.

And I'm glad you got through the marathon!

Towards the end, near the globe, I was on the side, about to get to one of the photographers when some woman literally jumped in front of me to do one of those “I’m jumping in the air” poses, completely bumping into me. I told her off and went on my way.

Ugh. As a run-walker, and a slow one at that, I've had so many issues with people leaping in front of me like that. I nearly got my nose broken by an enthusiastic runner at a u-turn going up the overpass leading into epcot as a dancing woman started flailing her arms while passing me. (on the right. Even though I was on the right)

I am tired, walking like I wore cheese graters for running shorts

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry. I walked a 12K years ago while wearing cotton shorts, and my thighs were actually bleeding at the end. (that looked fabuous, let me tell you) It was not in any way fun. I hope you heal fast.

a few years ago, at a Star Wars race, a woman pulled to a sudden, dead stop in the middle of Sunset Blvd to take a picture.

I love that you have pictures of that!

The only rundisney my brother has ever done or will ever do with me was at Disneyland. We were heading through a water station. He doesn't eat or drink anything for a Half, and I had my stuff with me, so we were in the middle keeping up my slow pace. A couple was in front of us doing the same, and suddenly the woman veered off to get something and the tall man just stopped cold. Sigh. Similar thing heading into carsland at a different disneyland run at sunrise when it looked gorgeous and everyone needing to stop right then for pictures. People lose their brains!

Finished in 6:32 - not what I wanted but was glad to finish at all. I was passing the Dopey photo op in MK when I turned to get in line - at speed. Pavement was wet and I wiped out and hit my head (actually my sunglasses broke the fall but split my eyebrow open). Disney cast member (wish I got his name) helped me clean up and called medical. I was worried they would pull me out of the race as a precaution. I passed the concussion tests and they cleaned me up with a promise to slow my pace and stop if I developed any symptoms (didn’t).

I will likely have a scar to remember this Dopey by in addition to my 6 medals.

Also props to runDisney at 3:30 they sent Someone to my room for “visual confirmation “ I was ok.

congratulations to all the runners!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the fill discrepancies! I literally had everything from "barely covers the bottom of the cup" to "2/3 full". One stop I pulled the short fill cup, grabbed a 2nd cup that was more normal and poured them together on the fly to drink. I think I should get a degree of difficulty adjustment for my race.

I'm sorry, the correct hierarchy of Powerade flavoring is:

Lemon-lime > blue mystery >>> Fruit punch

Put that red stuff out there and I will DNF on the spot! 😛
I can’t believe no one mentioned purple Powerade. LOL It’s my favorite!

Last edited:

Finished in 6:32 - not what I wanted but was glad to finish at all. I was passing the Dopey photo op in MK when I turned to get in line - at speed. Pavement was wet and I wiped out and hit my head (actually my sunglasses broke the fall but split my eyebrow open). Disney cast member (wish I got his name) helped me clean up and called medical. I was worried they would pull me out of the race as a precaution. I passed the concussion tests and they cleaned me up with a promise to slow my pace and stop if I developed any symptoms (didn’t).

I will likely have a scar to remember this Dopey by in addition to my 6 medals.

Also props to runDisney at 3:30 they sent Someone to my room for “visual confirmation “ I was ok.

congratulations to all the runners!
Yowza! Glad you’re ok! Blood, sweat, and tears!

My big wins today;
  • Finished with a ~30 minute PR on my only previous marathon, which was virtual Boston 2020
  • No sunburn!
  • No chafing!
  • No regrets!
My only real losses:
  • Probably looked kind of crazy dumping ice bags down the front of my bra, then reaching into my cleavage for pieces of ice to dump down the back of my bra as I went along
  • Had to walk a good bit more than I'd planned in the final 10k, but i honestly can't get worked up about that, since i trained in the New England weather and so today was kinda hot for me
20220109_142603.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions for giant blisters? I’m at a Disney hotel so I might have to Mcgyver something.

I am an idiot and walked about 10 miles on popped blisters on both feet. My IT band gave out and walking was the only option. That and the heat made this my most difficult race ever. Last time I did Dopey and had the flu. I would have gladly taken that over this.

Clean with soap and water; soaking them in the tub will work too. Do not cut away/tear away any skin flap. Cover with neosporin/first aid/wound ointment and clean bandage/gauze and tape. Repeat 2x a day until healed. Do not go barefoot in order to keep the bandages clean and dry.

Band Aid actually makes bandages just for blisters. Too late for this time, but something to consider packing for any future trip. I take them with as a matter of course no matter what type of trip we plan as DH often gets them when we travel.

My blisters in 2019 did not open (thankfully), though one leaked a bit traveling home. I soaked my feet in the tub with a few drops tea tree oil 2x a day until my largest one started to shrink enough I could put a blister bandage on it.

I went back to the room and soaked in a tub full of hot water for a while and then climbed into bed for a much-needed nap. And got a decent nap only to be awakened by room service who kept pounding on the door in spite of me trying to tell them to go and then the nitwit finally uses his key to start opening the door as I am futilely trying to make myself decent. Gads. Apparently the person in the next room heard the insistent knocking and let the same guy know that she did not need any room service either.
and in the category of things that I am not used to seeing, my Garman is reporting over 63,000 steps for the day and over 5100 cal burned so far.
As for the auto-stop feature, it is meant for circumstances like waiting to cross the street so that your runtime is not dinged for waiting for a traffic light. I like it and I leave it on, and for this weekend it was illustrative for how much time I spent taking pictures or bathroom breaks.

Finally feeling recovered from today’s ordeal and wanted to give a shout out and huge thank you to the medical staff. I was not a serious case but they gave me their full attention and made sure I really was ok before releasing me. There were some people in the med tent who did not look good at all and I’m praying they are all ok.
On the plus side, since I got sent to the main medical tent from the parade bus one, I was able to collect my challenge medals. Hoping I can recoup some of my weekend costs with a few eBay listings :rotfl2:
Also thanks so much @DopeyBadger for the amazing training plan! Next time I’ll listen when you say based on my stats I might not be able to finish. Data doesn’t lie :-)

Since at the moment I am not organizing all of my thoughts completely coherently, a follow up on the Garmin auto stop feature:
Watch time of 5:52 and a pace of 13:25 (which I’m happy with. I’m sure the Boston Marathon people will be sending me an invitation in the coming weeks), while my chip time was 6:28. So 36 minutes of standing while taking pics, drinking blue Powerade from plastic cups (!), or bathroom break. YMMV

I went back to the room and soaked in a tub full of hot water for a while and then climbed into bed for a much-needed nap. And got a decent nap only to be awakened by room service who kept pounding on the door in spite of me trying to tell them to go and then the nitwit finally uses his key to start opening the door as I am futilely trying to make myself decent. Gads. Apparently the person in the next room heard the insistent knocking and let the same guy know that she did not need any room service either.
and in the category of things that I am not used to seeing, my Garman is reporting over 63,000 steps for the day and over 5100 cal burned so far.
As for the auto-stop feature, it is meant for circumstances like waiting to cross the street so that your runtime is not dinged for waiting for a traffic light. I like it and I leave it on, and for this weekend it was illustrative for how much time I spent taking pictures or bathroom breaks.

Unfortunately, they're required to check the rooms periodically whether you want/need them to or not. It's a safety measure implemented after the events in Las Vegas. It's also why all the "Do Not Disturb" signs were replaced with "Room Occupied" signs.

I finished only about 2 minutes ahead of the balloon ladies, but I don't care--I finished!

I hadn't been able to train much and really wasn't expecting to finish. I thought I could probably get halfway through, or at least to Cinderella's castle, and had a hope that just maybe I could make it to Animal Kingdom, but that long stretch of vast nothingness after MK looked like it would probably do me in. My plan was just to keep going until the balloon ladies caught up to me.

To be honest, there were a few times I was ready for them. But they didn't show up so I kept going. By the time I could finally see the balloon ladies behind me I was at mile 23 and it seemed ridiculous to let them catch up with me at that point. I stepped it up a little and put some more distance between us.

My right knee (that was holding my training back) is killing me, but what's worse are the huge, puffy blisters on the bottoms of my feet. I can't walk without worrying I'm going to pop them. I'm actually staying an extra day and leaving in the morning because the thought of having to pack up all my stuff, put shoes on, lug everything down three flights of stairs and drive back to Tampa is daunting.

Thanks everyone for the information and the encouragement! I'm serious considering going over to the Marathon Weekend 2023 thread now!

Last edited:
Finished my 6th Dopey today! I had serious doubts about whether I would be able to finish this one since I am pregnant and was feeling pretty uncomfortable the last two days. KT tape was a lifesaver. I was actually on pace to finish in a decent time but caught up to DH at mile 22 - he was struggling (his first marathon) so I stayed with him the last 4 miles. At least we got some good pictures together!

Probably looked kind of crazy dumping ice bags down the front of my bra, then reaching into my cleavage for pieces of ice to dump down the back of my bra as I went along

You are not alone! I ran with a bag of ice in my bra for about a mile. Then I ran with a sponge in the bra for a few miles. And pretty sure I was making some x-rated noises dumping the water cups on me. It was so hot and it felt so good!

You are not alone! I ran with a bag of ice in my bra for about a mile. Then I ran with a sponge in the bra for a few miles. And pretty sure I was making some x-rated noises dumping the water cups on me. It was so hot and it felt so good!
I did this too. I put the bag of ice in my bra until it got nice and melty and then put in on my head and let the cold water drain down over my face and neck, and then put the bag back in my bosom and repeated the process. When I got back to the room to take a shower I found the empty plastic bag still in my bra.

We finished!

It was our 2nd marathon and a PW by 25 minutes, but we accomplished our goal of feeling good enough to stop for drinks in Epcot! Plus a bonus stop in AK for beers. So woohoo! I don't plan on running another marathon, but I also said that 3 years ago.

Our strategy of only stopping for characters after it was light worked well. Except for Dopey, lines were short.

After AK I started dumping water on myself. I'm scared to look at our photopass pictures. It's not going to be pretty!

Here's the character list. We were a bit delirious at times in the heat, so may have forgotten a few:
1. Pluto in 50th attire (to/from Epcot)
2. Mad Hatter
3. Jiminy Cricket
4. Phineas (alternates with Ferb) both times in Epcot
5. Darkwing Duck
6. Gus the mouse from Cinderella
7. Girl mouse from Cinderella
8. Edna Mode and Mrs. Incredible
9. Frozone
10. Figment statue (no photopass)
11. Stitch
12. Dopey
13. Revolutionary Goofy
- Country bears waving
14. Three Caballeros minus Donald
15. Daisy in 50th outfit
16. Piglet and Rabbit
17. Tigger
18. Friar Tuck
19. Robin Hood and Little John
20. Timone
21. Dug and Carl Frederiksen
22. Adventurers club (no FP)
23. Baloo
24. Bullseye
25. Jessie
26. Chip and Dale in 50th outfits
27. Olaf
28. Donald, pit crew outfit
Just dang. Mrs Incredible must have been on a break when I went by. I did take the time for Dopey, seeing as how I am here for his challenge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter