Marathon Weekend 2022

Did others have their watch distance at 26.4-26.5. Everyone I spoke to was consistently about a quarter mile longer than stated. Does running nonapex really add that much distance? The other thing that was weird was the overage seemed to be consistent and not expanding as the race went on.

Yup! 26.48

I won’t be running the Half Marathon tomorrow or the Full on Sunday. About two miles into the 10k I started experiencing acute pain in my right knee and, to a slightly lesser degree, my left. I didn’t take any bad steps or have an inciting incident; but I got gradually worse over the course of the run. I’ve never had knee pain before and believe it is only tendonitis but I’m not risking anything. For now, it’s unimportant.

I want to thank you for being honest and posting this.

As I was struggling to come to terms with intentionally taking a DNF for the marathon, it really helped me to come to terms with the fact that it was okay. I knew in my heart that it was the right thing to do, but to hear someone else coming to terms with a similar decision helped me to reach a level of acceptance that made today a lot more bearable.

One of the things that I love about this thread is that people feel safe to share the good, bad, and ugly experiences.

Did others have their watch distance at 26.4-26.5. Everyone I spoke to was consistently about a quarter mile longer than stated. Does running nonapex really add that much distance? The other thing that was weird was the overage seemed to be consistent and not expanding as the race went on.

It is highly unlikely and extremely rare to finish a marathon and have your GPS watch show exactly 26.2 miles. Following the exact tangents the course measurer used when certifying the course is nearly impossible. Coupled this with the known GPS inaccuracies, and you're always going to show a longer distance on your watch than the actual race distance. There are Garmin Connect IQ apps that you can use to overcome this problem when trying to pace out a key race. Most of them work by having you touch a button to reset the actual course distance at a mile or km marker which then causes your pace to recalculate. Personally, I find it easier to set my goal pace 5-10 seconds per mile faster than what the math would say and run the tangents as best I can.

Dear Body,

You don't have to wake up at 2am to drive to Disney anymore. Please go back to sleep.

Love,
Self
Our flight this morning got pushed back almost an hour. They notified us last night and in my exhausted state I mathed very poorly. So we got up at 2am. Again. When it easily could have been 3 or even 3:30 if we wanted to push it. But we beat the masses to the security lines at MCO so I feel like it’s an ok trade off.

I am regularly close to, or over 27 miles anytime I do a full. It really does add that much distance.

If anyone is flying out this morning out of MCO, the line for security in the A/B gate is backed up all the way to the C gate. I have never seen it like this before.
It was insane!!! I'm glad I left earlier than I intended (I guess my body was still used to waking up super early lol). Still after getting breakfast, I only had about 15 minutes to spare before the plane starts boarding.

My knee is still hurting a bit this morning, which tells me that I made the right decision to pull out yesterday. Still devastated, especially since it was out of my control. But I've done Dopey before, and I will do it again, I know risking further injury is not worth it. I hope to never experience the parade bus again, but I'm so thankful that everyone on my bus was so encouraging and positive. Congrats to everyone who ran this weekend!!

27.19 😬😬😬

It was insane!!! I'm glad I left earlier than I intended (I guess my body was still used to waking up super early lol). Still after getting breakfast, I only had about 15 minutes to spare before the plane starts boarding.
This makes me feel a bit better that our flight was canceled and we rerouted to TPA. No lines at precheck and even the regular line was short. And only about 35 minutes more driving.

safe travels home to everyone flying and hope the DATW crew has a great day. I will have to schedule joining that the next time I come to Marathon weekend - though may be a few years. Was great to meet some of you in person!

I want to thank you for being honest and posting this.

As I was struggling to come to terms with intentionally taking a DNF for the marathon, it really helped me to come to terms with the fact that it was okay. I knew in my heart that it was the right thing to do, but to hear someone else coming to terms with a similar decision helped me to reach a level of acceptance that made today a lot more bearable.

One of the things that I love about this thread is that people feel safe to share the good, bad, and ugly experiences.

I have a ton of respect for everyone who toes the line for any of these races. I wanted to finish so badly but I was tormenting myself with anxiety and needed to relieve the pressure of all that stress.

Getting healthier and helping my self-esteem have always been the primary goals for my running. I realized that finishing the races this year wasn’t going to help me achieve those goals, particularly if I injured myself badly in the attempt.

I’m still torn. I know I made the best choice for the future but those pesky thoughts in the back of my mind still pop up and make me think myself a quitter. I’m just going to do the best I can to make those thoughts disappear by making sure my actions match my words. I believe I have many Half Marathons, Marathons, and Dopey Challenges left in me and being healthy, happy, and well prepared for those races (and in my day to day life) can make this all worth it.

4 bathroom stops, 17 character stops, 2 booze stops... mine recorded 28.62 miles and congratulated me on doing my first ultra! 😆

Last edited:
Mine was at 26.40. I was at the following for my races over the weekend:
5K: 3.14
10K: 6.26
HM: 13.17
M: 26.40

Overage is normal, but I agree, 26.5 is quite a bit. This was my 31st marathon and I have yet to hit 26.2. With that many turns, sharp AND long (as well as diversions for pictures) it was going to be a challenge to be near the actual distance.
5K-3.17
10K-6.3
Half-13.24
Full-26.51

Personally-it was worth every extra step!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter