Marathon Weekend 2022

The medals are chipping 😫😫😫 so disappointing.
I noticed that on that medal and one more after wearing all 6 only right after the race and holding them at times while waking to try to prevent that. I was cautious as my wife was losing all the yellow colouring on her 10k medal from 2020. The coating on the marathon medal does not adhere well, you can easily scratch it with your fingernail.

Hadn’t looked closely since dropping it off at the hotel but yeah my marathon medal is chipped here and there too. I don’t think there’s a way around it, particularly if you did Goofy/Dopey and wore them all post-race. Had to carry the snack box, two drink bottles, a banana, and the hat so I really didn’t have my mind on protecting any of the medals.

All fun has to come to an end at some point. DD2 and I made our way to MCO early this morning and now are waiting to board our plane.

Been good weekend, semi happy with my Marathon time, faster than 2020 but not my goal time. Room for improvement. I am happy with how quickly I have recovered. Going to take it slow for the next week, but then plan to ramp back up to get ready for Spring Surprise Weekend.

Had a great time with family. Such a joy to walk the 5K with all of them and struggled to keep up with my DD1 in the Half! We really enjoyed our first DVC stay, absolutely loved Wilderness Lodge! I could get used to this!

Eyes firmly set on Dopey 2023 and a stronger marathon!

Last edited:

Does anyone know if I add Memory Maker to my AP now will I be able to download all my race pics or did I need to do that before MW?

Last edited:
Thoughts on the expedited starting of the marathon?

I noticed it was ~5:15 when I started near the back of S4 and had told spectators that it would be after 5:30. Did not think anything of the missing waves until after the race. The first 4 miles were crazy miserable and crowded and I was having bad thoughts about RD because of course crowding, weaving around others, running on grass median, and dark sections. Then after that was able to run at pace from mile 5 on. Mile 1 and 2 were slowest miles and do not think I could have done anything about it.

Afterwards, I did appreciate the 20 minutes less of waiting around on my feet at the beginning and not being on the course for an additional 20 minutes at the end when the heat was picking up. So I think I would take the quicker start, and especially if RD put a little effort into placing runners properly then things would be better.

I noticed it was ~5:15 when I started near the back of S4 and had told spectators that it would be after 5:30. Did not think anything of the missing waves until after the race. The first 4 miles were crazy miserable and crowded and I was having bad thoughts about RD because of course crowding, weaving around others, running on grass median, and dark sections. Then after that was able to run at pace from mile 5 on. Mile 1 and 2 were slowest miles and do not think I could have done anything about it.

Afterwards, I did appreciate the 20 minutes less of waiting around on my feet at the beginning and not being on the course for an additional 20 minutes at the end when the heat was picking up. So I think I would take the quicker start, and especially if RD put a little effort into placing runners properly then things would be better.
OMG I was thinking exactly the same thing about the crowding early on!!!! Was thinking I will never do another rD race again (aside from Princess which i am already signed up for lol). I started in S5. I couldn't believe how slow my first 4 miles were! Yes I stopped for a bathroom break in Epcot but there was no line or anything. My mood got much better once we hit the more open road.

Warning: negative rD content: I was actually one of the people in the PoT thread (maybe the only one) arguing that it's fine that they did away with PoT for anyone slower than a 4 hr marathon because nobody runs the pace they say they are going to run anyway. But boy howdy I underestimated how many people would just say they are going to do a < 5hr marathon, get released early, and then just walk or mostly walk. I have zero problems with people walking, I mean that sincerely, do your race, but just own it please and start toward the back. That, coupled with the quick release, was not ideal. I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but I don't think I'm running another rD race without a PoT. That was nuts.

It's a tradeoff. Yes we got out earlier but a few minutes would have been shaved off the early parts of the race, if we had more space. Also they didn't release fireworks as often for the start, it seemed? Like the first few sendoffs and then that's it? I don't even really care about fireworks but I noticed it.

Anybody have bus problems today? Because we were in the last corral, we didn’t get on the bus until 3:00 (usually on the 1st bus) from Beach Club! For the first time for us, the bus driver went to the wrong place! She took us to where busses picked up after the race, right beside the All Star pick-up sign. The CM’s turned her around to take us to Epcot for regular security/walk to corrals, but then we got held up in traffic, so it took a LONG time to get off at the runner drop off. We didn’t make the meet up, but had plenty of time for security, portas, hike to our corral. We still waited for over an hour before our s6 corral started. I was actually grateful for the “getting lost,” because, at least for a while, I was warm and off my feet in a nice seat! Now, how can I get on the “lost” bus tomorrow?

A few years ago, I had a bus driver head to the wrong PARK. We were heading towards the backstage areas of Magic Kingdom, before I finally went up the front, and tried to direct the driver to turn around. The driver didn't believe me at first, but finally realized we were in the wrong area entirely. I got them to the right road, and we ended up with a lovely (and long) tour of Disney World, before finally making it to Epcot. :earboy2:

I thought it was great that they released the corrals more quickly given the forecast. Anything to reduce exposure to the heat at the end of the race was welcome. Unfortunately, there was a price that had to be paid for that in course congestion.

I’m curious as to what you think rD should be doing to better place runners properly. In my mind, after many race weekends, incorrect placement of runners is a problem with runner ethics, not rD. They’re a very very small organization with limited ability to check proof of time and many runners are doing their first organized races and wouldn’t have proof of time even if it were extended throughout the field.

“Corral hopping”, cheating on proof of time, and outright lying about estimated paces have always been an issue. Many runners prioritize their own ability to get course photos and/or cover for their lack of training over all else. I don’t know how rD is supposed to police this and I think they’ve done a pretty good job, all things considered, of at least trying to get the races off on the right foot by spreading things out with the mini-waves, Sunday’s marathon notwithstanding.

Don’t get me wrong, rD is far from perfect, but I don’t know how much more they can do on this issue with the resources they have, and would not like to see the jump in race prices if they really wanted to crack down and throw resources at the issue.

OMG I was thinking exactly the same thing about the crowding early on!!!! Was thinking I will never do another rD race again (aside from Princess which i am already signed up for lol). I started in S5. I couldn't believe how slow my first 4 miles were! Yes I stopped for a bathroom break in Epcot but there was no line or anything. My mood got much better once we hit the more open road.

Warning: negative rD content: I was actually one of the people in the PoT thread (maybe the only one) arguing that it's fine that they did away with PoT for anyone slower than a 4 hr marathon because nobody runs the pace they say they are going to run anyway. But boy howdy I underestimated how many people would just say they are going to do a < 5hr marathon, get released early, and then just walk or mostly walk. I have zero problems with people walking, I mean that sincerely, do your race, but just own it please and start toward the back. That, coupled with the quick release, was not ideal. I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but I don't think I'm running another rD race without a PoT. That was nuts.

It's a tradeoff. Yes we got out earlier but a few minutes would have been shaved off the early parts of the race, if we had more space. Also they didn't release fireworks as often for the start, it seemed? Like the first few sendoffs and then that's it? I don't even really care about fireworks but I noticed it.
I was in S3 and fairly close to the front. I was surprised how many people ahead of me were walking after only a minute or two after starting.
Side note: my buddy was in S1 and was touching the front barrier before the marathon. He’s been training hard since my wife challenged him to do Dopey 2020 and has his eyes on Boston. He was pretty psyched about that position.

I was in S3 and fairly close to the front. I was surprised how many people ahead of me were walking after only a minute or two after starting.

A LOT of runners at rD use the Galloway run/walk program, so it’s pretty common to see them hit a walk break after 60-120 sec of running. The ones that get me are the people walking from the start of the race and not doing anything to clear the starting line.

Absolutely! I don’t typically stop for characters but am not quite fast enough to get into the POT corrals so my average pace is quite a bit faster than a lot of the people I end up starting with. It was within reach before they moved it for these most recent runs. I have only done the HM at W&D weekend and even with the smaller crowds, there is a lot of weaving and very slow running for a couple of miles. During W&D, the people I was talking to were targeting a 15 min pace and were in the same corral where I estimated a 9:50 pace. I guess they said they would be faster to get into an earlier corral, and I doubt they were the only ones. I was placed where I should have been based on my estimated pace. I imagine that is amplified at MW and would LOVE to be able to get a POT for Dopey next year. But, I think it is out of reach with the POT cutoff of end of September. That basically leaves me this current racing season and I doubt I can shave enough time off my HM to meet the marathon time requirement. Maybe over a couple of years I could get there. Once this race season is over it will be too hot to realistically expect I can run fast enough to get new PRs. I am going to have to mentally prepare for the mega slow starts being a part of my MW experience And may even build that into my plan so I don’t get frustrated with back of the pack starts.

The ones that get me are the people walking from the start of the race and not doing anything to clear the starting line.

Yes, this! The start is busy anyway then you have random walkers in the middle of the road as wave after wave are trying to get onto the course. Let’s be generous and assume that you can run the pace intended for that corral but are injured - move the walking to the edge, for the love of Mickey!!

I was in the middle of S2 on Sunday and there were a bunch of people who were walking right from the start. Don't know what the solution is, but was thinking maybe a separate side corral with in the starting group for people planning to walk right away? That way they are still in the same starting group but are already moved to the side for the people who are planning to run from the first step.

I was a bit upset about this, I would like there to be POT for 4:30 and below. I got there super-early to start near the front of S3 in order to try to avoid the crowds I had to run through at W&D (I was pretty close to the front). I made friends with 2 ladies while waiting for the start. I finished in 4:06, sat down for a bit at the finish, had a beer, went to the merchandise tent, texted family and friends, took more pictures, took the bus back to the Swan with a stop at Boardwalk first. I walked through the Swan and back out to the course to cheer on runners. After about 10 minutes of cheering I saw the faster of the 2 ladies I met that morning run by.

Oh, and I remembered a previous post about snot and coughing during races when a guy blew a snot rocket on the tight path in early morning Epcot and it hit my knee. It was disgusting and I told him I wasn’t happy about it.

I was a bit upset about this, I would like there to be POT for 4:30 and below. I got there super-early to start near the front of S3 in order to try to avoid the crowds I had to run through at W&D (I was pretty close to the front). I made friends with 2 ladies while waiting for the start. I finished in 4:06, sat down for a bit at the finish, had a beer, went to the merchandise tent, texted family and friends, took more pictures, took the bus back to the Swan with a stop at Boardwalk first. I walked through the Swan and back out to the course to cheer on runners. After about 10 minutes of cheering I saw the faster of the 2 ladies I met that morning run by.

Oh, and I remembered a previous post about snot and coughing during races when a guy blew a snot rocket on the tight path in early morning Epcot and it hit my knee. It was disgusting and I told him I wasn’t happy about it.
4:30 would be perfect for PoT. I finished around 445 Sunday. I also agree with the snot rockets, heard it a lot and they were rarely considerate enough to see if anybody was nearby.

I think the next six months are just going to be really overwhelming for RD employees but having a more extensive PoT system would def help with corral issues. There’s not much you can do other than that, I was seeing people from groups 5 and 6 jumping into 3 and it was kind of a bummer.

Weirdly, for all my gripes about RD being overwhelmed, the event went on pretty nicely, all things considered. No issues with the races aside from occasional bottlenecks. Fuel stations and medical tents were well staffed. Just a very solid race weekend at a tough time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter