Marathon Weekend 2022

Just as a comment on getting a PoT...

If you're like me who lives in Florida, it's actually really difficult. There are almost zero running events in the summer due to the heat, and 10k's are not very common from what I've seen in the relative area, and often times, they're not until the fall, or early winter. In fact, most of the half marathons are held then as well. So really, if you don't have a valid race from the previous year already under your belt, you don't have much, if any chance, of finding a race to run that will be accepted. I ran a half marathon in Iceland this year (my best half ever mind you), and I couldn't submit it because it wasn't a US accredited race. Registration for Dopey wasn't until July of this year, and PoT I think was required by October or so, so it was nearly impossible (for me at least) to find a reasonably close race to run to get one. In the end it didn't affect me, but still. It's an issue for us.

Can you take a look at a northern city you've always wanted to visit, find a 10K or half there, and travel for the POT? I love traveling to races and when I lived in FL I would try to head north during the summer for some relief.

Random reflections:
1) Race merch was really bad -it was mostly all gone when I got there on Thursday but the variety and quality of stuff has really gone downhill. I miss the shoe ornaments, the race-specific headbands, pint glasses and tervis. Saved me a ton of $$ though
2) I have really come to appreciate how well organized rD events are - they really do an amazing job and the volunteers are fantastic and medical staff people were doing a great job - saw several on bikes just making sure runners were ok between med tent stops.
3) Entertainment on course was great this year (I did Goofy so can't say for the 5k/10k) - loved the live music, the japanese drummers, the choir was back, the Epcot ball glowing bright in the early hours, tons of characters and big screens showing clips and playing music.
4) I love the marathon course so much more than the old ESPN one - leaving MK and almost being halfway done is a big mental boost, and not having to do that long slog on Osceola or that awful out and back on Western Way is fantastic. But they need to let you run through more of HS - that was a joke

1) Not only was the race merch bad but I had a hard time finding anything anywhere I really wanted. I came home with 3 or 4 things and that was it.
2) They really do a great job. There are things I really dislike about rD but they are well organized.
3) Agree with this.
4) Agree with this too. I love that early loop through Epcot and thought the AK loop was much better than the old one with that parking lot loop added when you exit the park. I wish they'd find a way to add more DHS, even all backstage, but know they are hand tied a little since the park opens while runners are still running through.

Can you take a look at a northern city you've always wanted to visit, find a 10K or half there, and travel for the POT? I love traveling to races and when I lived in FL I would try to head north during the summer for some relief.
Houston here. I have thought about this depending on how my upcoming HM goes. The old marathon POT seemed within my reach but the new one seems just far enough away that I'm not sure. I've already got races lined out through Princess and that was going to be the end of my racing season. Now I'm mulling a northern race if I think I can pull a POT before the Dopey cutoff.

1) Not only was the race merch bad but I had a hard time finding anything anywhere I really wanted. I came home with 3 or 4 things and that was it.

I know it's no real consolation at this point, but I've seen it reported in a number of places that rD only received ~25% of the merchandise that they ordered. The remainder is hung up somewhere in the supply chain fiasco that seems to be affecting everything right now.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the remaining inventory when it arrives. Will it go straight to clearance and Cast Connection or will they make it available through ShopDisney first? Might be worth keeping an eye out if folks are still interested at this point.

I know it's no real consolation at this point, but I've seen it reported in a number of places that rD only received ~25% of the merchandise that they ordered. The remainder is hung up somewhere in the supply chain fiasco that seems to be affecting everything right now.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the remaining inventory when it arrives. Will it go straight to clearance and Cast Connection or will they make it available through ShopDisney first? Might be worth keeping an eye out if folks are still interested at this point.

It would be nice to make it available to runners that registered first via a unique link inside our RunDisney accounts or to the email address we used at registration. There are a few things I'd like to still get somewhere that isn't ebay.

Last edited:

If this is true I wonder if they will sell it on shopDisney?

I try not to complain because on the whole, Iove marathon weekends and recognize just how complex it is to pull it off. But I wish they would require bibs for merchandise purchases, at least for the first day or two. I just did a quick search on eBay for "runDisney 2022" and the markup people are charging (and in many cases getting) is ridiculous.

Related, I hope RD continues to experiment with different POT approaches. This is an issue for nearly every race I do. Either runners overestimate their ability or they lie. If people were honest, RD shouldn't need to do anything, but I was surprised how many people there were in all four races who clearly didn't belong in their starting position (note I was in S2 and ran < 7 hour Dopey).

It would be nice to make it available to runners that registered first via a unique link inside our RunDisney accounts or to the email address we used at registration. There are a few things I'd like to still get somewhere that isn't ebay.
That would be great - they have our email anyway and they could likely sell a lot at full price to those of us who weren't able to get it at the expo. Might be better than just pushing it to clearance.

If this is true I wonder if they will sell it on shopDisney?

I try not to complain because on the whole, Iove marathon weekends and recognize just how complex it is to pull it off. But I wish they would require bibs for merchandise purchases, at least for the first day or two. I just did a quick search on eBay for "runDisney 2022" and the markup people are charging (and in many cases getting) is ridiculous.

I think they should try to find a realistic way to limit the ability of resellers to purchase race merchandise, too. I worry about what would happen if they used bibs as the key to the Expo, though. Given the markup the resellers seem to be able to command, I'm afraid all that requirement would do would be to drive them to buy a 5k bib to gain access to the Expo. Then you've got race slots going to non-runners as well as the merchandise and the runners end up in a worse situation because race entries become harder to secure.

I'd buy stuff on shopDisney. I really wanted a mug at least. Even thinking about a MagicBand (I know there were plenty at the expo, the only thing there was plenty of, it seems).

Re Merchandise: This is always a hot topic around race weekends. If it's true that only 25% of the merchandise was available, it very well could be that the runners bought the majority of it, not resellers. At least I hope that's the case.
I wanted a 26.2 magnet, so I'd love if that became available on shopDisney.

Re Merchandise: This is always a hot topic around race weekends. If it's true that only 25% of the merchandise was available, it very well could be that the runners bought the majority of it, not resellers. At least I hope that's the case.
I wanted a 26.2 magnet, so I'd love if that became available on shopDisney.
For what it's worth, I'm not seeing many jackets or race-specific hoodies on eBay. In general there's not as much MW merch on eBay as I expected. I don't know if that means resellers are just on the other sites now, or if there really wasn't anywhere near enough merch available in the first place.

For what it's worth, I'm not seeing many jackets or race-specific hoodies on eBay. In general there's not as much MW merch on eBay as I expected. I don't know if that means resellers are just on the other sites now, or if there really wasn't anywhere near enough merch available in the first place.
I've looked on some of those "other sites" and I'm not seeing much there either. I wasn't sure if I wanted the Goofy finisher shirt when we were at the expo, and now I can't find any on any of the usual places.

I really hope that they put the extra on shopDisney, but I've seen reports that the extra stuff (mainly the shoe ornaments) from W&D went directly to cast connections when it finally came in.

My dad died on New Year’s. And I say that only because we are just now going through all of his stuff and it makes me think that when it is time for my kids to go through my stuff they are just going to be shaking their heads at dozens and dozens of race shirts, Plus wondering what to do with 10 or 15 pounds worth of medals…

My dad died on New Year’s. And I say that only because we are just now going through all of his stuff and it makes me think that when it is time for my kids to go through my stuff they are just going to be shaking their heads at dozens and dozens of race shirts, Plus wondering what to do with 10 or 15 pounds worth of medals…
I'm so sorry.

Sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
And yeah, we've had that with my grandfather's stuff recently. A big chunk of it is still piled in our basement. You never know how much stuff you have until you need to get rid of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter