Marathon Weekend 2022

My dad died on New Year’s. And I say that only because we are just now going through all of his stuff and it makes me think that when it is time for my kids to go through my stuff they are just going to be shaking their heads at dozens and dozens of race shirts, Plus wondering what to do with 10 or 15 pounds worth of medals…
Sorry for your loss.

Well....I'm the latest one to have come home from Marathon Weekend with a medal and Covid.
I hope that everyone here is vaccinated with a booster. For what it's worth, my symptoms have been extremely mild. The drawback is that I have to isolate from my family and I'm working from home. More importantly, I am afraid that my family will now test positive as well. I had a blast running the marathon, but I'm left wondering if this great experience was worth it.

I've looked on some of those "other sites" and I'm not seeing much there either. I wasn't sure if I wanted the Goofy finisher shirt when we were at the expo, and now I can't find any on any of the usual places.

I really hope that they put the extra on shopDisney, but I've seen reports that the extra stuff (mainly the shoe ornaments) from W&D went directly to cast connections when it finally came in.
whats cast connections?

To add some more thoughts.

I was near the front of S2 and crossed at 4:58 for the marathon as well. I was thrilled compared to 2020's late start! Only about 20 minutes of sitting around in the corral. But the first five miles were super crowded because of how fast they let everyone out. But I'm not complaining because I was so far along by the time the sun truly came out and started to warm everything up.

I submitted a 1:53:50 half POT and was in S2. I agree that they need to expand POT requirements because I squeaked in there by the skin of my teeth.

I love/hate Genie+ and ILL. I used it two days - one MK and one DHS because my 5yo was a super whiner and I couldn't take it anymore. It was great at MK. We stacked well and rode a ton, even with a pool and dinner break in the middle of the day. However, at DHS, I paid an extra $120 (Genie+ and bought ROTR ILL) on top of park tickets and we did six rides total before all the lightning lanes were taken. Kids were tired so we called it a night around 5:30. Could have ridden more but would have had to wait for everything. If I went by myself, I might do Genie+ but I'd rope drop instead of ILL. However, with a mom who moves like molasses in the morning and two kids to get ready, early entry hours or rope drop was never even a possibility.

To add some more thoughts.

I was near the front of S2 and crossed at 4:58 for the marathon as well. I was thrilled compared to 2020's late start! Only about 20 minutes of sitting around in the corral. But the first five miles were super crowded because of how fast they let everyone out. But I'm not complaining because I was so far along by the time the sun truly came out and started to warm everything up.

I submitted a 1:53:50 half POT and was in S2. I agree that they need to expand POT requirements because I squeaked in there by the skin of my teeth.

I love/hate Genie+ and ILL. I used it two days - one MK and one DHS because my 5yo was a super whiner and I couldn't take it anymore. It was great at MK. We stacked well and rode a ton, even with a pool and dinner break in the middle of the day. However, at DHS, I paid an extra $120 (Genie+ and bought ROTR ILL) on top of park tickets and we did six rides total before all the lightning lanes were taken. Kids were tired so we called it a night around 5:30. Could have ridden more but would have had to wait for everything. If I went by myself, I might do Genie+ but I'd rope drop instead of ILL. However, with a mom who moves like molasses in the morning and two kids to get ready, early entry hours or rope drop was never even a possibility.

Genie+ seems to work well at only one park: MK. You basically need it at HS but it’s incredibly frustrating because ToT, Slinky, RnRC, and Smugglers Run are so low capacity and have so few Lightning Lanes available. We got Smuggler’s Run and TSM with Genie+ and had to wait for everything else. Could’ve gotten one more if we were staying late, but we went to dinner at 4:00 and had to get back to sleep for the 10k.

I know I could do better using it now (that was our first park day, I thought the app would be more intuitive, and it took me 2 minutes to make our first one, Smugglers Run at 3:00). At that point we were stuck waiting until 11 to make our next pick and by then there was basically nothing other than TSM. My blood pressure is rising just thinking about it.

Just because I’m a little riled up:

I also heard my favorite Disney “we really don’t care about you” line multiple times this past week. I heard it the first time a few years ago pre-pandemic and thought it was a one off from a frazzled CM but now I have no doubt it is taught. To paraphrase:

“Fill in all of the available space in the queue.
If the party in front of you has stopped feel free to move past them.”

It’s a literal confirmation that we are nothing but cattle to Disney and our attempts at fairness and decency to other humans in maintaining an orderly line is completely secondary to them keeping as many people jammed into as small a space as possible. Lord forbid they have to go move a couple chains and open a couple extra paths in the queue to prevent the line spilling into areas they don’t want it. Nah, let’s tacitly encourage confrontation between agitated people instead.

My dad died on New Year’s. And I say that only because we are just now going through all of his stuff and it makes me think that when it is time for my kids to go through my stuff they are just going to be shaking their heads at dozens and dozens of race shirts, Plus wondering what to do with 10 or 15 pounds worth of medals…

Sorry for your loss

Well....I'm the latest one to have come home from Marathon Weekend with a medal and Covid.
What are your symptoms? Our family has some mild ones and we just got tested yesterday for our return flight to Canada. We should find out today if we’re postponing our flight. We were prepared for it and my wife and I have no regrets if it is Covid.

I have to test as well. I have symptoms, sore throat and stuffy nose. Need to check about fever, plus am stupid tired (I had chocked that up to running and 3 early wake ups) but I am now getting about 10 hours of sleep. I knew it was possible so not a big deal. I am vaxxed and boosted. Means I will NOT go visit my folks on Sunday, which was probably out anyways due to weather. Oh and my symptoms started on Thursday so unlikely it was from marathon maybe Epcot on Monday.

I also came home with Covid. Double vaxxed, boosted, masked in corrals and the start, no indoor dining, etc. 😕 my symptom is a tickle in my throat. Which I mistakenly took as a side effect from little sleep and running four days in a row. My husband flew down after the races and yesterday he said his throat was feeling off. He’s scheduled for a PCR today and again Tuesday in case todays is negative. We are home now trying to navigate keeping our kids from getting infected. 🤞🏼 Hopefully I can get some time to myself so I can recap the weekend here. Hope everyone else is staying healthy!

Sorry for your loss. I’m glad you made it to the races under a difficult situation.

Now, about being in s6 for Goofy and starting in the back! I was so discouraged by the crowding in the half that I didn’t even want to do the marathon the next day. Thanks @camaker for the pep talk marathon morning. You were right that it was a little better! But it takes much more energy (and adds almost an extra mile) when you weave, stop behind people often, and can’t keep any kind of usual pace. Too many people were scared of the balloon ladies and were told all over Facebook, etc., to lie about their anticipated time to “pad” the distance between them. DH and I still finished in our estimated time, 5:31-6:00, but it was much harder to do. Disney, please bring back the lower POT requirements! People are less likely to lie if the have to supply evidence of a <2:30 or <3:00 half. (I have a 2:26 half from ATL Thanksgiving, but will never have <2:00.)

Next rant: Yes, Disney Genie+ is horrible, especially in HS. As others said, even getting up at 7:00, the first ride I could get was in the afternoon, and by 11:00 most of the other rides were sold out, so we got one more the first day, meaning we paid $7.50 per ride. The second day we bought the two ILL rides, but they were scheduled on top of one another. Then a Genie+ ride overlapped them by 15 minutes. I don’t see any way to pick a time though. We rushed to get through all three in an hour and a half.

Rant 3, park hopping: We were at HS on Monday, but wanted to go over to EP to visit with the DATW crew. Bythe time we were allowed to hop over, we couldn’t find anyone. That 2:00 time is ridiculous!

And after all that, I love Disney World, loved Marathon Weekend, love this group of people, and hope to see you all soon. @lhermiston, I’ll miss your SAFD, your sense of humor, and your literally larger than life personality. Drop in to say hi from time to time!

What are your symptoms? Our family has some mild ones and we just got tested yesterday for our return flight to Canada. We should find out today if we’re postponing our flight. We were prepared for it and my wife and I have no regrets if it is Covid.
My symptoms are those of a light cold. On Tuesday, I felt the beginning of a sore throat and was tested. The sore throat never developed beyond slightly irritating. On Wednesday, I woke up with that cloudy sensation that I sometimes have when I have a cold, but that dissipated by the afternoon. Additionally, I have had a sporadic cough, but nothing like when I would get a cold and would be hacking phlegm on a constant basis. Overall, this really is like a very light cold BECAUSE I have a high level of antibodies as a result of being vaccinated with a booster shot.

I have to test as well. I have symptoms, sore throat and stuffy nose. Need to check about fever, plus am stupid tired (I had chocked that up to running and 3 early wake ups) but I am now getting about 10 hours of sleep. I knew it was possible so not a big deal. I am vaxxed and boosted. Means I will NOT go visit my folks on Sunday, which was probably out anyways due to weather. Oh and my symptoms started on Thursday so unlikely it was from marathon maybe Epcot on Monday.
We can agree to disagree, but it takes 3-5 days after exposure to begin showing symptoms. The most logical area of exposure was the marathon with the 11,000 runners huffing and puffing. The good news is that your symptoms are likely the worst that you're going to experience. I hope that you feel better and have a quick recovery.

@kps7795 actually we can agree. I have absolutely no science to say it was Monday. I had Delta and came down with symptoms quickly after exposure (sunday was exposure and symptoms on tuesday) that is the only reason i said monday. But yes it feels less than a cold. More of annoyance, and not near as bad as when i had delta. do you think testing today will give a decent result (concerned about false negative) or should i wait till tomorrow (for best results)? test kits are hard to come by, i happen to have two tests at home but afraid once i use them it will be a while before i find more.

My symptoms are those of a light cold. On Tuesday, I felt the beginning of a sore throat and was tested. The sore throat never developed beyond slightly irritating. On Wednesday, I woke up with that cloudy sensation that I sometimes have when I have a cold, but that dissipated by the afternoon. Additionally, I have had a sporadic cough, but nothing like when I would get a cold and would be hacking phlegm on a constant basis. Overall, this really is like a very light cold BECAUSE I have a high level of antibodies as a result of being vaccinated with a booster shot.
My wife and I are feeling almost nothing but the kids are feeling slightly more- possibly as they only have the first dose. They’re going through the cold cycle very fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter