Marathon Weekend 2022

Because wading through all of the info is going to send me down the rabbit hole too far, are boarding groups still a thing for RotR in HS? Or did iLL replace that?

Because wading through all of the info is going to send me down the rabbit hole too far, are boarding groups still a thing for RotR in HS? Or did iLL replace that?

As mentioned, no boarding groups anymore. I went to HS on Friday. Park opened at 9 for general public, with 30 minute early entry for Disney resort guests. In reality, they let people in at 8, and unlike other parks, they actually opened up the Star Wars rides immediately. I was able to do RoTR and SR and was done by 8:45 (so before the park officially opened). So it's possible to get both rides in a reasonable amount of time.

Of course, after that It was all downhill from there!

As mentioned, no boarding groups anymore. I went to HS on Friday. Park opened at 9 for general public, with 30 minute early entry for Disney resort guests. In reality, they let people in at 8, and unlike other parks, they actually opened up the Star Wars rides immediately. I was able to do RoTR and SR and was done by 8:45 (so before the park officially opened). So it's possible to get both rides in a reasonable amount of time.

Of course, after that It was all downhill from there!
Interesting, I went the Slinky Dog route and had been wondering how long the waits at GE would be, it looked like more people were headed that way but that’s not bad at all.

For anyone keeping score, Run Disney replied to my email today (3 weeks later). They were kind enough to reimburse me most of the registration fees in the form of a gift card.
My wife -- who contacted RunDisney on Jan. 6 as well -- heard back from them this morning (23 days later). Looks like they're starting to catch up, just in time for Princess.

ILL is not really necessary if you are willing to:

A. Get to the park for rope drop and be near the front of the pack.
B. Wait until you are within the 1 hour close time of the park. Lines typically die down by then.

We also went for early park opening, arriving at least 30 min before the scheduled EE opening. We walked right onto Rise. My husband went back to the park that night (while I was unsuccessfully trying to sleep) and he waited <20 min to get on Rise.
I think if you play your cards right, there is no reason to pay for it.

As a side note, I was able to get a spot in the virtual queue for Remy's while running the marathon. I was pretty proud of that!!

Does anyone know when they ship the virtual medals? Do we get medals for doing virtual?
Yes, you get medals (and shirts) for doing virtual. As for when they ship, they’ll probably start soon, but it could take a really long time. I got my virtual Wine & Dine 5K swag on December 11, but I didn’t get my challenge swag until January 15. I suggest signing up for the free package alert service from UPS so you know when it ships, because Disney won’t tell you.

Does anyone know when they ship the virtual medals? Do we get medals for doing virtual?
We did the virtual races this summer. It took a long time to get the medals. There were 4 of us doing them and 3 sets showed up first and then mine came 6 weeks later even though I submitted my times much earlier.

As others have said, Disney does not tell you when they ship the medals. So they can arrive at different times.

For instance, I did the summer series virtual 5K races in 2018. I received all 4 medals in early June. In late July I signed my nephew up for the August virtual 5K. His medal arrived in late September, nearly 2 months after I signed him up.

Last year, I received the virtual marathon weekend races all around the same time. But my Princess virtual half medal arrived one month before my Princess virtual 10K medal arrived (I did not register for the challenge). It turned out that something went wonky and my 10K medal never shipped. When I contacted runDisney they looked into and got back to me.

My Star Wars race medals arrived within a month or so. But I do think they were shipping out the medals faster last year.

So keep an eye out on social media and such for people to start reporting that they received their medal(s). If yours takes longer than say 3 weeks, I would contact runDisney.

Does anyone remember who the sunglass vendor in the exhibitor hall was that had the Minnie Mouse polka dot sunglasses? I believe they were in that first row as you came down the stairs, towards the shirt hand out booths.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter