• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

Also chiming in with an accommodation question.
Is it a bad idea to consider moving from AllStar Wed night (just me) to Pop Thu/Fri night (+2 ppl, 1 doing 10K) to Kidani Sat/Sun night (+4 more ppl, 2 doing marathon) if I'm doing Dopey? I'm not as worried about the first move, but was hoping to lounge around the hotel/check out Disney Springs on Saturday and only now realizing that may not be an option if shifting resorts. This is of course, dependent on us snagging the elusive Kidani reservation...
I may be wrong, having never done a split stay and not knowing what Disney is doing now, I think they will move your luggage for you. You would just have to get to bell services and then be able to relax and lounge.

Is it a bad idea to consider moving from AllStar Wed night (just me) to Pop Thu/Fri night (+2 ppl, 1 doing 10K) to Kidani Sat/Sun night (+4 more ppl, 2 doing marathon) if I'm doing Dopey? I'm not as worried about the first move, but was hoping to lounge around the hotel/check out Disney Springs on Saturday and only now realizing that may not be an option if shifting resorts. This is of course, dependent on us snagging the elusive Kidani reservation...
Personally I wouldn't. I've done lots of split stays but transfer day always makes me feel "homeless" for that day. You don't have access to your luggage and your are without a room for the middle of the day. If I'm spending all day at a park that's not a huge deal, but not for race day.

So it’s not exactly the same situation, but we did a split stay for MW where DH did the 5&10 and I did goofy. And we switched from OKW to BR on Sunday. And it was awful. The packing. The unpacking. The not having an shower available after the race. We are paying more this year to NOT move

We did this last year—switched from BC to BLT after the half. It wasn’t terrible. Bell services handled the luggage and I was finished with the half in enough time to go shower and change first. I wouldn’t do it again though unless I had to. Still such a hassle packing everything up.

Question for the experts!

I ran my first marathon at the 2022 MW. With limited time off it was quite a whirlwind (flew in Saturday morning, ran the marathon Sunday morning, flew home Sunday night and went to work Monday morning). Thanks to @DopeyBadger 's training plan I felt great throughout the entire race and into the next days. My coworkers were surprised that I was (a) at work the day after running the marathon and (b) not limping through the day. My next races were all three Princess and Springtime Surprise races.

My next goals were Dopey 2023 and eventually trying a non-Disney marathon (no specific date in mind). My original thought was the MCM. I still want to go for it at some point in the future, but I was just reminded that there's a local marathon and I think I'd like to attempt that one first.

The race is late October. Am I crazy to consider running that this October, followed by Dopey in January? As a new marathon runner (I still can't believe I can say that!) is it a bad idea? Should I focus on Dopey instead and strive for the local marathon in 2023?

I was figuring I could use the same training plan again for the October race, and then some form of a continuation plan to lead me to Dopey. My plan didn't require me to run the full marathon distance in training, but I know others do so it didn't seem too far fetched. Thoughts? Be brutally honest, I can take it lol.

(TL;DR Is it a bad idea to run my 2nd marathon in October followed by my first Dopey in January?)

Has anyone else noticed that the post-Marathon Weekend cruise for the Castaway Cay Challenge on the Wish departing January 9 is no longer showing on the Disney Cruise Line website? When we booked last week, all room categories were available to book except concierge.

I've honestly never seen a Disney cruise drop from view and was curious to know if it could be because it is sold out, or if there is perhaps something odd happening in the background given all of the Marathon Weekend registration demand and hiccups this week?

Apologies if this is not the right place to ponder this question.

I ran my first marathon at the 2022 MW. With limited time off it was quite a whirlwind (flew in Saturday morning, ran the marathon Sunday morning, flew home Sunday night and went to work Monday morning). Thanks to @DopeyBadger 's training plan I felt great throughout the entire race and into the next days. My coworkers were surprised that I was (a) at work the day after running the marathon and (b) not limping through the day. My next races were all three Princess and Springtime Surprise races.

My next goals were Dopey 2023 and eventually trying a non-Disney marathon (no specific date in mind). My original thought was the MCM. I still want to go for it at some point in the future, but I was just reminded that there's a local marathon and I think I'd like to attempt that one first.

The race is late October. Am I crazy to consider running that this October, followed by Dopey in January? As a new marathon runner (I still can't believe I can say that!) is it a bad idea? Should I focus on Dopey instead and strive for the local marathon in 2023?

I was figuring I could use the same training plan again for the October race, and then some form of a continuation plan to lead me to Dopey. My plan didn't require me to run the full marathon distance in training, but I know others do so it didn't seem too far fetched. Thoughts? Be brutally honest, I can take it lol.

(TL;DR Is it a bad idea to run my 2nd marathon in October followed by my first Dopey in January?)

I don't think it's a crazy idea at all. I ran my first marathon at 2016 Marathon Weekend, then trained and ran City of Oaks Marathon the first week of November that year, then bridged over to the ill-fated Dopey of 2017. Everything went great. I would just suggest planning to run the October marathon for time and plan to just run Dopey for fun. I've done similar combos of fall marathons and Marathon Weekend challenges several times since.

The biggest thing to consider and factor in is that you're committing to marathon training volumes for an additional 2+ months beyond the fall marathon. If a marathon training cycle wipes you out or if you're just ready to be done with it by the time you hit the end of a cycle, think hard if you want to put yourself through the additional weeks.

Hypothetically, if I were to dress up as a “Beanie Baby” sidekick from a 90s Disney movie for a race… which one would you want me to be? (Basically, a sidekick costume + a Ty tag? Cute or no?)

Ooh, there are some good options there! My favorite suggestions would be:

• Percy or Meeko from Pocahontas
  • Zero from Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Black cat from Hocus Pocus

Has anyone else noticed that the post-Marathon Weekend cruise for the Castaway Cay Challenge on the Wish departing January 9 is no longer showing on the Disney Cruise Line website? When we booked last week, all room categories were available to book except concierge.

I've honestly never seen a Disney cruise drop from view and was curious to know if it could be because it is sold out, or if there is perhaps something odd happening in the background given all of the Marathon Weekend registration demand and hiccups this week?

Apologies if this is not the right place to ponder this question.
Think this is a glitch! Plenty of rooms available to book on Costco Travel (that's where I booked for the post-MW cruise next year).

Not at all a bad idea, it's plenty of time. First week post marathon you'd want to focus on recovery and maybe some very light, low mileage. Second week you'd want to ramp up the mileage a bit but keep it easy. Then you could launch into an abbreviated training plan by week three. You'll still have your fitness from the previous build and should be able to get back to the high mileage pretty quickly.

Before I deferred to 2023 for unrelated reasons my plan was to do Berlin late September then do Dopey.

Now to see if runDisney will let me return my Goofy bib. Any bets on how emphatic the "hell no" will be when I ask for a refund?
This past MW I was originally registered for the marathon only (through regular registration) then grabbed a Dopey bib through charity. rD refunded me minus fees to my CC when I sent them my new confirmation # with the charity.

Regarding your other question about experience running with charity - for me it was a little underwhelming. Minimal contact from the organization before and no contact MW or after. But I was grateful I was able to get a Dopey bib and not have any commitments aside from fundraising. In the future if I ran for charity again I’d find a org that was personally meaningful.

I don't think it's a crazy idea at all. I ran my first marathon at 2016 Marathon Weekend, then trained and ran City of Oaks Marathon the first week of November that year, then bridged over to the ill-fated Dopey of 2017. Everything went great. I would just suggest planning to run the October marathon for time and plan to just run Dopey for fun. I've done similar combos of fall marathons and Marathon Weekend challenges several times since.

The biggest thing to consider and factor in is that you're committing to marathon training volumes for an additional 2+ months beyond the fall marathon. If a marathon training cycle wipes you out or if you're just ready to be done with it by the time you hit the end of a cycle, think hard if you want to put yourself through the additional weeks.

Not an expert.

I ran my 1st marathon on Oct 2 last year and then did Goofy. So it’s definitely not out of the question.

Not at all a bad idea, it's plenty of time. First week post marathon you'd want to focus on recovery and maybe some very light, low mileage. Second week you'd want to ramp up the mileage a bit but keep it easy. Then you could launch into an abbreviated training plan by week three. You'll still have your fitness from the previous build and should be able to get back to the high mileage pretty quickly.

Before I deferred to 2023 for unrelated reasons my plan was to do Berlin late September then do Dopey.
Thank you! I'm glad I asked, I knew I'd get realistic responses here. Time to take a better look at the race info and my calendar :surfweb:

I wouldn’t do this. We had to delay a trip earlier this year, and ended up changing rooms twice at Kidani. I don’t think we got a room before 3pm any of the 3 times we checked in. I wouldn’t want to be “homeless” after waking up at 2:30.
We’re staying in a 2 bedroom at BLT with family, and even though they’re leaving on Sunday, we’re spending the extra points to not switch rooms until the following day. I want the option of being able to crash in bed if I want to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter