Marathon Weekend 2023

Most of the rides are really fun solo, but I learned this year that I felt like complete idiot on Alien Swirling Saucers alone (I imagine this is true for the Teacups as well).

As an "always solo racer" who loved being there on my own, I agree I always used to feel a little silly on my own on that ride. Maybe it's because it's one ride where everyone waiting to get on is surrounding you and possibly watching the ride. That said, if I'm in the mood, I will still go on.

For anyone planning on booking their rental car using the Chase UR portal. I've been checking every few days on AutoSlash, Costco, and in the UR travel portal, and this morning I learned something *very* interesting.

My dates are 1/3 (early afternoon) - 1/9 (early morning) via MCO.

When I use MCO specifically as the pick-up and drop-off location the least expensive car is $88/day and includes Economy, Compact, and Intermediate sized cars through Alamo. That totals out to $524.

But when I just put in "Orlando" (Neighborhood locations, including Airport) as the pick-up and drop-off location things change. The same exact cars are now $77/day. And it's STILL pick-up/drop-off at MCO. Which means that the same car is now $459 (and National is $80/day for a total of $477 if you prefer to rent through them for whatever status thing you may have.)

I know that these prices are historically high, but with the current state of inflation, the car computer chip shortage, and the apparent crack down on CDP codes, these are the best prices I've seen.

For anyone planning on booking their rental car using the Chase UR portal. I've been checking every few days on AutoSlash, Costco, and in the UR travel portal, and this morning I learned something *very* interesting.

My dates are 1/3 (early afternoon) - 1/9 (early morning) via MCO.

When I use MCO specifically as the pick-up and drop-off location the least expensive car is $88/day and includes Economy, Compact, and Intermediate sized cars through Alamo. That totals out to $524.

But when I just put in "Orlando" (Neighborhood locations, including Airport) as the pick-up and drop-off location things change. The same exact cars are now $77/day. And it's STILL pick-up/drop-off at MCO. Which means that the same car is now $459 (and National is $80/day for a total of $477 if you prefer to rent through them for whatever status thing you may have.)

I know that these prices are historically high, but with the current state of inflation, the car computer chip shortage, and the apparent crack down on CDP codes, these are the best prices I've seen.

It's all down to airport taxes--and MCO has them up the wazoo. For Avis, a total of 5 per day fees totaling $6.93/day and then a 10% Concession Recovery tax along with sales tax . If you go off airport, you lose the Concession tax and half the fees.

I have never seen any way to circumvent that.

It's all down to airport taxes--and MCO has them up the wazoo. For Avis, a total of 5 per day fees totaling $6.93/day and then a 10% Concession Recovery tax along with sales tax . If you go off airport, you lose the Concession tax and half the fees.

I have never seen any way to circumvent that.
Right. I've looked at some of the off-airport rentals (still sticking with Alamo, Hertz, Budget, etc) and they just weren't any cheaper, or at least not enough to make up for an Uber or Mears from the airport to get the car and then the reverse to come back.

I just thought it was pretty tricky that I can get the exact same car from the exact same rental counter at the airport for $11/day less just by searching for "Orlando" instead of "MCO" in the travel portal.

Good Morning runDisney All-sTars. It is Sunday, so time for SAFD, Today’s questions has been discussed some in the past, but thought I would bring it up as a question for us to dig into a little more.

Have you gone to the parks solo; for a race weekend? What did you like about it, what not so much?

My answer - yes, I have gone to a few race weekends solo and found positives and a few negatives. I really enjoyed being able to simply focus on my needs the whole race weekend - eating, sleeping, playing in the parks on my time line. But I was at first intimidated to eat alone - got over it. Ano I was afraid I would feel lonely/miss family - I did some. Plenty of ppl to talk with, there are the meet ups and races, all of it helps. If I can go with family I prefer, but going solo is nice also.
SAFD (on Thursday): I've never done a solo trip, but I did do a solo day at Animal Kingdom several years ago. I'd gone with friends who'd had to leave a day earlier than I did. I brought my Kindle and read in all the lines. Especially with single rider for Everest, I didn't feel like I was waiting at all. Such a good day.

Have you gone to the parks solo; for a race weekend? What did you like about it, what not so much?
A bit late for the SAFD... but I recently did the April SS 2022 as a solo 48hr trip, and it was glorious. I flew in Friday morning, dropped bag off at Swan, uber to expo, back to Swan to put bag in room, boat to Epcot, walked around WS, saw all the things my kids (9 and 13) never want to stop and enjoy (including multiple cocktails), ubered to AK Lodge, solo dinner at Jiko bar (amazing), bed by 7:30-8pm. Saturday did 10k (super fun course); then hit HS - lunch at Brown Derby, got for ILL for ROTR and MMRR, then hopped to MK, got stuck in thunderstorm; got a table at Crystal Palace to wait it out; didn't stop raining; bus to Boardwalk for dinner at Flying Fish at the bar (also amazing); early bed. Sunday was 10M race (incredible theming), showered and checked out of Swan, ubered to Contemporary; left bags with bellman, walked to MK, took medals pic in front of castle, did Hall of Presidents (my kids never want to), got a terrible lunch at Tomorrowland terrace (only regret), leisurely strolled around MK, back to pick up bags and uber to airport for 3pm flight. My favorite 48 hours, maybe ever?

For W&D 2022 I'm bringing my family (Fri-Mon) and already worried about mixing a family trip with early race bedtime, etc. We're staying at OKW in 1bed because I need the separation to go to bed early. Never stayed at OKW, it was the only villa option I could get - thoughts on staying there for a race weekend? We don't plan on going hard at the parks. Sunday after HM will be a pool day (with a nap for me) and then Epcot W&D party at night.

For MW 2023 I'm going solo Fri-Sun (running just HM) and then to a conference in Orlando that week - and I'm sooooooooooo excited. I just discovered Lou Mongello's audio tours and I want to do all of them that weekend. Just me and my airpods...

Last edited:
Never stayed at OKW, it was the only villa option I could get - thoughts on staying there for a race weekend?

I really like OKW. The 1BR is large and the resort is pretty peaceful. I like to be near Hospitality House. Makes it easier to get around. I have stayed here for MW, and have always had a car, so would generally drive to expo and shorter races.

i dont think so, heart is broken, but i really appreciate the thought. thank you.

Try to get through the short term sadness, often it leads to a better outcome long term. A poem I try to remember when bad things happen:

The Guest House by Rumi

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

SAFD (Thursday response edition): I've done both. As others have said, the "pros" of the solo trips for me were being able to focus more on the races, not worrying about waking the rest of the family up for the early starts and having complete flexibility to decide what to do or change plans after a race.

The "cons" for me were eating by myself (fine if I can sit at a bar but feel weird at a table by myself at a ny sit down restuarant) and I felt like I was "cheating" on my family being there without them. The last one is totally on me as the family is fine with me going for the races, although a bit jealous of course that they can't be there.

Well looks like I made a good gamble booking my flights right after my registration was confirmed. A round trip flight from Toronto to Orlando with Air Canada is now almost $900!!! Who on earth would pay that...just fly to Europe at that point

Hiii!! runDisney newbie with coveted Dopey registration snagged for me and my husband for the 2023 Marathon Weekend.

We are traveling as a family of 3 adult (Grandma's coming along!) and 3 kids and are not sure how to plan our days after the shorter races. Do you go to the Park? Do you chill at the pool? Other activity suggestions?

We plan to have restful (non-park) days for the Half and Full marathon days. Thanks!

I haven’t done marathon weekend, but for Princess and Springtime Surprise this year, I made sure to walk around after the races. Standing in lines is not a good idea, but go walk around Disney Springs, or the animal trails at AK, or explore World Showcase at Epcot.

I've done a slew of races with friends over the years and we always do park days for the shorter races. Lots of great opportunities to congratulate other runners as everyone (including me) wears their medals for the day. Longer races we opt for the pool and hit the hot tubs. Once I hit the parks after a half-marathon and I was hurtring for certain. (Many others in better shape than I would have been fine). Have a blast! We will there there Marathon weekend as well!

Parks after 5k/10k/half. After the full, no park, but "move around"--which can mean mini-golf, Disney Springs, finding the customary chocolate milkshake, etc Honestly, the full is the one where you most need to move afterwards. But I personally wouldn't plan a park because A) the day is already half over park-wise (I'm an "open the park" kinda person) and B) you never know how you might feel after a marathon. I've had some where I was manageably sore, and others where I was practically crawling.

Hiii!! runDisney newbie with coveted Dopey registration snagged for me and my husband for the 2023 Marathon Weekend.

We are traveling as a family of 3 adult (Grandma's coming along!) and 3 kids and are not sure how to plan our days after the shorter races. Do you go to the Park? Do you chill at the pool? Other activity suggestions?

We plan to have restful (non-park) days for the Half and Full marathon days. Thanks!
I only participated in one marathon weekend (so far!), but I spent the rest of the day at Epcot. Standing in line for 45 minutes for Ratatouille SUCKED, but otherwise it was fun although I was walking very slowly. As others have already posted, it is part of the Marathon Weekend experience to show off your shiny new medal at the parks. I lost track of how many people congratulated me for having run the marathon. I believe that that is what prompted my (then 15 y/o) daughter to want to run the half marathon next January with me.

SAFD Signs: I always like it when race signs are an attempt to mashup multiple themes and/or refer to park attractions.

After Rogue One opened in 2016, I saw a lot of Star Wars race signs that said "run like you stole the Death Star plans and Darth Vader is chasing you."

Sam Eagle: Keep going, it's the American way!

Great job runners! If you don't believe us, you're in deNILE. Person next to her has a sign that reads "this race goes on for Niles and Niles and Niles, so attraction jokes are always fun.

I never would have started running if not for runners walking around the parks after the race wearing their medals. So many of them were very encouraging and helped me realize that what I believed was impossible could be possible with hard work and preparation.

Ironically enough, I have run two half marathons not at Disneyland for WDW. I was very sore for 1 1/2 to 2 weeks later. Even after the marathon, my soreness is mostly gone by day 3 or 4 post race.

My rule is parks after every distance. Frequent sitting or show breaks are taken and lines must either be under 30 minutes or constantly moving and no more than an hour if they move. I will go for longer waits after the last race of the weekend if I love the attraction in question.

I like to watch fireworks after the final race, so I always visit the parks. I just accept that the marathon day is about getting photos and recovery. Any attractions if I make it to one are just a bonus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter