Marathon Weekend 2023

If I have the option, I always take the first flight out. That way I know that the plane will be there in the morning.

And think of the early morning as practice for the race days.
This is what I was thinking too. My neighbors will also be on that flight so that solidified it.

A happy bonus: I was able to pay for it with Southwest points! It was about 11,500 points— idk if that’s good or bad but hooray!

Thanks for the SW flight info! Looks like I can take a nonstop either at 6:15 am or 10:40 am on Tuesday… trying to decide which is better. 10:40 is better for me so I don’t have to be up so early, but 6:15 leaves more room for adjustments in case of cancellation, etc.
I always take the first non-stop. More room for error that way.

Alright, these are from 2021, and I confirmed the course is the same for 2022.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5986622694
https://www.strava.com/activities/5993629600
https://www.strava.com/activities/5987441242/overview
https://www.strava.com/activities/5987577986
https://www.strava.com/activities/5987228703

These five runners are using five different watches. They measure the GPS distance of the race to be an average of 26.57 miles (range of 26.42-26.95). So if I had a specific time goal, I would base the pace off a 26.57 mile GPS finish. For example, let's say I was aiming for a 3:59:59 finish. For 26.22 miles, that's 9:09 min/mile average pace. But for 26.57 miles, that's 9:02 min/mile pace. So you need to plan to be faster than you think for a specific time goal.

These five runners have an average pace vs average GAP difference of 8 seconds (range of 5-17 seconds). So this course is 8 seconds per mile harder than a flat course. Over the course of 26.57 miles, that makes this course 212 seconds (3.5 minutes) harder (at least!). So going back to our theoretical sub-4 runner's goal. They would need to run a 9:02 min/mile pace (based on 26.57 miles), but be capable of running an 8:54 min/mile marathon tempo pace on a flat course. So what was once a 9:09 min/mile pace is now 15 sec/mile faster based on actual fitness level.

Next, I would look at each individual split. The goal is a 9:02 min/mile (for our sub-4 runner), but running 9:02 min/mile pace for every mile split is not the best strategy. It's better to take into account the elevation changes in each individual mile. So I go through and calculate the GAP difference of each individual mile.

View attachment 676867

The grey is the miles. Each of the white columns represent the five runners. The values within the white columns represent the individual's GAP difference split for each mile. The green column is the average seconds difference (or impact of hills). The purple column would be the goal splits for someone aiming for a sub-4 marathon using a 26.57 mile GPS finish time. So while their actual average pace will be a 9:02 min/mile based on their GPS, the goal split for Mile 12 is a 9:55 min/mile and goal split for Mile 15 is an 8:38 min/mile.

Hope that helps and let me know if you've got any questions. Admittedly this is one of the hardest road marathons I've seen. It's a very trying course because of its steep uphills but also because of it's rolling nature. Best of luck, and save your energy until at least after mile 18 is done. Things calm down after that.
Wow. That’s amazing and incredibly helpful information. I’m going to use to to try to run some realistic numbers. I have a goal of a sub 4, but this is not going to be the one that gets me there!

I appreciate the help!

SAFD:

I’m late on this one.

This year I am using the Winging It/Don’t be a Lazy Bum Plan (patent pending).

It is a combo of golf, core work, flexibility, running, biking, and weights. I’m coming off an extended run (5+ years) of using the Do Nothing, Eat Everything, and Hope for the Best Plan. I was awesome at that plan but, ultimately, found the results to be very underwhelming (yet entirely predictable).

Things are going well so far. I have already run more miles this year than I have in any of the previous 3 and I plan to institute an actual schedule after I get out of golf season and need to ramp up my mileage. I’m trying to keep things fun and varied for myself while getting exercise in situations where I used to take the easy way (example: forgoing carts and walking several miles every time I golf).

I'm late as heck for last week's SAFD and have been MIA from the boards for the week.

SAFD: In the past I've done Higdon and Galloway. This time around though, I have a random assortment of races between the end of August and Dopey and wasn't quite sure how to figure out a plan to take all of them into account. After reading all of the rave reviews on here over the years about @DopeyBadger 's plans, I reached out to him last weekend and he came up with a great plan for me. Although I think I might hate him because running at my Easy paces might be harder than the hard workouts that I'm going to be doing later in the program. 😂 I know why I'm doing it though so I'm just going to Trust The Process (I mean, I am a Sixers fan after all so I guess it's appropriate...)

On the topic of flights, Southwest apparently decided that they hate Philly and don't have a single non-stop flight to MCO for Marathon week, and the prices for the flights (some of which have TWO layovers...) aren't great enough to justify booking them. Torn on booking a different airline or flying out of BWI instead. My sister lives right next to the airport so I can spend the night at her place and get an early flight out. Decisions, decisions..

On the topic of flights, Southwest apparently decided that they hate Philly and don't have a single non-stop flight to MCO for Marathon week, and the prices for the flights (some of which have TWO layovers...) aren't great enough to justify booking them. Torn on booking a different airline or flying out of BWI instead. My sister lives right next to the airport so I can spend the night at her place and get an early flight out. Decisions, decisions..
I bit the bullet and am just taking the flight out of Baltimore. I just want to get to Orlando as soon as I can! I'll be getting off from work, then driving down to Charm City. Maybe I'll find something to eat on the way down. By the time I get to the airport, it might be a twitch early to check in, but I'll have nothing better to do.

Well I did it. I signed up for a Charity Bib for the 10k. So I guess I'm one of you guys now. lol

I already booked our room. How does everyone like the All Star Movies Resort for Race Weekend? I have to stalk Southwest for them to open up dates for travel.

Have to really get serious about my training now.

Well I did it. I signed up for a Charity Bib for the 10k. So I guess I'm one of you guys now. lol

I already booked our room. How does everyone like the All Star Movies Resort for Race Weekend? I have to stalk Southwest for them to open up dates for travel.

Have to really get serious about my training now.
I’ve done movies for wine & dine 2016-2019

SAFD:

I hope everyone is doing well! I am on a back parking trip in Yosemite and hoping this makes it out. Apologies for getting it out late.

For today’s question: Share a special place in one of the parks you like to go for a bit of peace and quiet or a quick reprieve from the hustle of the parks.

Mine: I am choosing Disneyland. Over to the right of the Castle is a fountain and water well with the Snow White character statues. It is just off the hub and tons of people yet quiet enough to hear the water fountain and occasionally Snow White sings!

Have a good week!

SAFD: I just found this spot over Springtime Surprise weekend, but I’m going to use it every chance I get. I don’t much care about the castle projections during fireworks, I just want to see the big pyro. I discovered that I can sit and relax outside Gaston’s Tavern and watch the fireworks and have no one within 20-30 feet of me. SO MUCH better than crowding into the hub and trying to peer past all the tall people (and their phones), and the trees.

SAFD: one of our favorite things when we need a little down time is an outdoor table, flight of beers and a charcuterie board (and pretzel) at Baseline Tap House at the Studios. Nice to sit in the shade, relax and people watch.
If it’s too hot and we need AC - the Tune In lounge!
How did I miss this place

Happy Father’s Day to all of the dads here! 🥳

SAFD: in Magic Kingdom, a little alcove off of Main Street on the side where Starbucks is. Love getting away from everything for a bit with a coffee.

Have an amazing trip @Baloo in MI !!

—————-

Good news: my first week of training/base building is in the books and it went well. A whopping 9 miles on the week.

Bad news: my brother/marathon weekend training buddy called yesterday to tell me he tested positive for covid. ☹️ It’s his second round after having it once in March 2020 and being vaccinated/boosted. He’s pretty bummed to have to take time off from running as he was doing pretty well with it, but hopefully this just means he has antibodies through the end of the year!

So stay careful out there, folks!

SAFD:
Enjoy Yosemite @Baloo in MI !

I like getting an order of fish and chips and sitting on a bench facing the stage in the British pavillion in Epcot. There are often musical acts that add to the ambience while eating.

There are a lot of nice hidden spots in Animal Kingdom too.

My quiet/relaxing spot in Epcot is similar. I like to get the fish and chips and then go to one of the tables around and behind the restaurant. It's almost always peaceful and quiet to sit there and look out across the World Showcase Lagoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter