Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: I have a few things lined up for fall:

September 10: virtual George Washington Patriot Run 10 miler. I did the virtual 5K of this race last year, and the shirt I got is my favorite and most comfortable of all my race shirts, so I decided to do it again this year, hit up the mileage. The timing fits well for ramping up heading toward W&D.

October 1&2: Twin Cities Loony Challenge. The 2021 TC 10K was my first-ever in person race, but there were some family disasters that kind of took the enjoyment out of my accomplishment, and I want to have fun this year. The first day is a 10K followed immediately (or almost immediately, depending on your speed) by a 5K, and then the second day is a 10 miler. The nice thing about the challenge is that if you’re tired from the first day, you have basically no time limits for the 10 miler because it’s done at the same time as the marathon and you have until the marathon time limit expires to finish the 10 miler.

October 29: Wayzata Boo Bash Dash. Registration hasn’t opened yet, but I’m planning to do this local 5K just for fun in my costume for the Coco 5K

November 4-6: Wine & Dine!

December 3: virtual Hot Chocolate 15K. I did the virtual 5K last year, and decided to do the 15K this year. I would do the in-person one, but in Minneapolis, it’s not until April, and that’s just not hot chocolate time any more (we hope 😆😆). Also, I got seduced by their chocolate lover’s swag pack that you can get for registering this weekend with a special code.

SAFD: I have been looking for some races that will fit into my training plan, basically as supported training runs. I have some contenders but haven’t officially signed up for anything yet. I’m not going to race before Dopey because I want to make sure I show up healthy. Also, my MIL is doing C25k and I told her I will do whatever 5k she wants at the end of it. She hasn’t picked one yet because I think she wants to make sure she is ready. It should be Oct-Nov so there will be plenty of races to choose from.

SAFD:

I have a sprint triathlon on July 31 (local) and then my first Olympic-distance triathlon (Chicago) on August 28. I am feeling very tempted to spontaneously sign up for Muncie 70.3, which is October 1, but I am trying to resist that urge.

I’m registered for the Detroit International “Wonder” (I think that’s what it’s called) Challenge. It’s a 1 mile then a 5k on October 15 and then a half marathon on October 16. My friend was going to join me but can no longer come and I am torn between going by myself or deferring it until next year. The reason I am thinking about deferring is because that weekend aligns with my two-day fall break (that next Monday and Tuesday), and I would love to use that time to do a backpacking or bikepacking trip instead. Hmmm.

If I do not do that race, I will be searching for a different half in November or December as MW prep. Any Midwest recommendations? I live in Central Ohio.

SAFD:

I have a sprint triathlon on July 31 (local) and then my first Olympic-distance triathlon (Chicago) on August 28. I am feeling very tempted to spontaneously sign up for Muncie 70.3, which is October 1, but I am trying to resist that urge.

I’m registered for the Detroit International “Wonder” (I think that’s what it’s called) Challenge. It’s a 1 mile then a 5k on October 15 and then a half marathon on October 16. My friend was going to join me but can no longer come and I am torn between going by myself or deferring it until next year. The reason I am thinking about deferring is because that weekend aligns with my two-day fall break (that next Monday and Tuesday), and I would love to use that time to do a backpacking or bikepacking trip instead. Hmmm.

If I do not do that race, I will be searching for a different half in November or December as MW prep. Any Midwest recommendations? I live in Central Ohio.

I have run Detroit in the past (pre-Covid) and really enjoyed it. I heard that the International race is back and it is a lot of fun running in the U.S. and Canada in the same race! If you are looking at other options both Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids put on good marathon/half marathon weekends in October. GR takes you out of the city, over the bridge and along a river; it is very pretty!

Lots of great trail races also, but they are in September mostly.

I’m registered for the Denver Hot Chocolate 10k in October. I was originally signed up for the 15k and then they added the 10k to their series on Thursday. They provided the option to switch and I took them up on that offer. The 10k is my sweet spot and very preferred distance.

I don’t know if I’ll sign up for anything else between that and Princess. The Denver area does have a number of races in the winter.

SAFD: DC Race the District half marathon in September and Philadelphia Marathon in November. I'm targeting sub-4 for Philadelphia, my first marathon, and the HM will be a tune-up race to see if I'm on the right track - so I'll be targeting somewhere in the neighborhood of 1:49:00 or so depending on heat (which would be a big PR for me).

SAFD: I'm registered for the DC Half in September

Wait, are we running the same race? September 18?

SAFD:
Mount Desert Island Marathon in October (postponed from 2020 then from 2021) - hopefully this actually happens this year. 🤞
City of Oaks Marathon and Route 66 Marathon in November. City of Oaks was supposed to be Rock-n-Roll Savannah, but that was canceled so we had to find another for that weekend!
No time goals for the marathons, just plan on taking them ‘easy’ and enjoying them.

I’m also considering running a local half In October - maybe for time. I ran a PR at Princess this year in not great temperature, but we don’t have great weather here for this race weekend a lot of times either…

SAFD: The Weymouth Woods 50k trail race in Southern Pines, NC on Sept 3rd is next up for me. I'm not expecting very favorable conditions for the race, but I needed a race to push me through summer training and the tree cover will at least prevent direct sunshine from beating down and baking us. It'll be more like a slow, wet cook in a sous vide.

After that, I plan on running a fall marathon. I'm not registered for anything yet, but I'm leaning towards the Emerald Isle Marathon on October 22nd. Second choice would be joining @MissLiss279 at the City of Oaks Marathon on November 6th. City of Oaks is much closer to home, but I'm really not a fan of the course.

SAFD:
Mount Desert Island Marathon in October (postponed from 2020 then from 2021) - hopefully this actually happens this year. 🤞
City of Oaks Marathon and Route 66 Marathon in November. City of Oaks was supposed to be Rock-n-Roll Savannah, but that was canceled so we had to find another for that weekend!
No time goals for the marathons, just plan on taking them ‘easy’ and enjoying them.

I’m also considering running a local half In October - maybe for time. I ran a PR at Princess this year in not great temperature, but we don’t have great weather here for this race weekend a lot of times either…
Maybe I'll see you at the City of Oaks! It's a very well-established and well-run race. Make sure you're ready for hills, though. The initial portion of the race is surprisingly hilly for a run through a downtown area and the late race climb is nothing short of brutal. I subtitle this race as "how I learned Crabtree Valley really is a valley." Regardless, good luck with it! Here's my elevation profile from the race:

2215641E-091A-42BB-9F10-9F78C676A6D7.png

SAFD: I’m going to run a local half in mid-September (Betsie Valley Trail Half) but the trial part of the name is just because at a rail-trail, so nothing technical, and it should be flat. Maybe some other local 5k runs as training but not raced.

SAFD:

If you defer the Detroit race, the Sleeping Bear half marathon up by traverse city is the same weekend and it’s a gorgeous course. Not a lot of people out cheering, but it’s got well placed course support.

Last edited:
SAFD: I am tentatively planning to sign up for the Red River Gorge 50K in December. Pretty nervous about it- I'm squarely a back of the packer. I trained for a 50K over a series of races that got cancelled for COVID (like three times), then flooding. Then I got a stomach bug just before the actual race and couldn't run. Signed up for a last- minute back up, then managed to break my shoulder and couldn't run. I finally completed training for the Land Between the Lakes 50k (it's an amazing race if anyone is looking). It was unseasonably cold on race day and snowed, and they pushed back the start two hours. I knew there was no way I could make cutoffs in the shorter time, so I completely a very muddy marathon.

All that said... I'm looking for redemption. Trying to wrap up some base building and will talk to DopeyBadger about a training plan at the end of the month.

SAFD: I'll run a local HM in September for the Plano Balloon Festival, mostly so I have an intermediary goal toward the January marathon. I'd be thrilled to PR the race -- my current record is a 2:36:05 from April 2020 -- but I'm just starting to get back into the shape I was in back then. We'll see.

Mostly, this makes me realize that I need to figure out a formal marathon training plan soon. I thought I'd do a fall HM, then start a M plan, but that seems too short. I should really have a longer plan that incorporates the HM. Coming up with a plan has never been my strongest suit, but I think I can adapt last year's plan and then try to figure out what adjustments to make for slotting a HM in there.

I missed out on the original marathon registration (I had zero expectation that it would sell out that day). I was just about ready to give up and either cancel or rent out my Grand Floridian DVC studio reservation for that weekend last week when I got the Twitter notification re: availability.

I’m completely psyched to actually have a spot now, but feeling a bit apprehensive about actually running a full marathon (this will be my first).

Right now, only other race on my agenda is the wine and dine half (my third). At least the timing of that is pretty good in terms of building mileage on the long runs!

SAFD
At the moment my only fall calendar entry is the Wine and Dine Challenge. This was my first half in 2017 and except for 2020 when it was cancelled it has been an easy going 10k with the HM being an ‘A’ race and a PR every year. Seems odd to run a 10k before the half but with a few days off before it’s like a nice warm up and somehow seems to work for me. Fingers crossed 🤞 that my body and the weather get me a good run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter